Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cast Bullet .30-06 load with 4831.....

Boolit Buddy

Cast Bullet .30-06 load with 4831.....

I'm looking for a good cast bullet load for a bullet in the 200 grain range for H4831. Why? Because I have over 40 pounds of it and I want to shoot it up! Thoughts?

up here, that is well over $1000.00 worth of powder!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lawyerman View Post
    I'm looking for a good cast bullet load for a bullet in the 200 grain range for H4831. Why? Because I have over 40 pounds of it and I want to shoot it up! Thoughts?
    Start at 36 gr and work up in 1 gr increments with a 1/2 - 3/4 gr dacron filler. Work up untill accuracy goes south, probably around 1950 - 2150 fps, then tweak the best load 1/2 gr in either direction.

Larry Gibson

You can't overload a 30-06 with that powder, but you can overspeed a cast bullet if you have a 1:10 twist barrel. I would start at about 48gr, or 1900 fps, and work up until accuracy goes away. A full case is good for about 2300 fps.

Banned

The only thing I can add to the above is buy an M1 Garand or two if you don't already have one, that will help you burn some powder! You might want to invest in a check maker as well.

Gear

Boolit Master
    Has anyone thought about the controversial "SEE" effect that has been reported with severely reduced loads of 4831?

I've never had any problems with 4831, but I use only full or nearly full power loads when loading it.

Just a thought.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master
    Bob S. load: 41 grs 4831/ 200 gr bullet.

Bob S load:

M1: 42 grains WW II surplus 4831, 311284 (217 grains)

Bolt gun: 40 grains WW II surplus 4831, 311284

Never tried the new production cannister grade 4831; it didn't exist then.
    USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

It's REAL ... it's wood and steel!

Blasted hellish frozen northern wastelands, AKA Minnesota
    This is with 42 gr new cannister 4831, RCBS 308-200 Sil cast from water cooled WW + 2% Tin sized .310 lubed with carnauba red, and a small bit of Dacron filler over the powder (didn't weigh, about 3/4"x 3/4"x1/2" thick). 50 yards with the military irons. I believe the 2 fliers were my fault-
    Last edited by Bert2368; 03-08-2012 at 11:28 AM.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Boolit Master
    I use 41.5 IMR 4831 with 311299, this is new powder. Excellent results

Boolit Buddy
    My powder is old surplus. In looking at several manuals last night it looked like about 48 grains would get me 2200 FPS.....problem is I'm trying to slow it down so as not to have problems with my bullets. That figure was listed several places as a minimum load. There was a "caution" about reducing loads any further.......

I would be very concerned about shooting 4831 in any of my Garands as the burn rate is way off for the action. I notice that the group shown above seemed to be fired by a Garand though.....I really don't want to bend an op rod....

One of the bullets I have and was thinking of using is the 311284.....Looks like Bob is several steps ahead of me....I knew there was a reason I came here!
    Last edited by Lawyerman; 03-08-2012 at 09:33 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

With the 311284 start at the 36 gr I suggested and use the dacron filler. In the M1 you are looking for 100% reliable functioning. With these low end 4831 (especially the older surplus 4831) the gas port pressure will not be high enough to harm the M1. In fact it probably will be too low and you will need to up the charge to get enough psi at the gas port just to function the M1. Granted 4831 is not a good powder to use with full bore jacketed bullet loads in the M1 but you're not going there are you?

The best accuracy with 4831 and the 311284 in your M1 will be just at the minimum load that gives 100% functional reliability. You are not breaking new ground here.....many, many of us have worked this out in a lot of M1s over the last 50+ years or so.

Larry Gibson

Blasted hellish frozen northern wastelands, AKA Minnesota
    Don't worry about the M1's op rod with a 200 gr cast bullet and 42 gr of 4831. Many, many thousands of rounds have gone down range with this combo- Heavy JACKETED bullets with a case full of slow powder would be a problem. The pressure is so low with the cast, the powder doesn't even burn completely.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    With the 311284 start at the 36 gr I suggested and use the dacron filler. In the M1 you are looking for 100% reliable functioning. With these low end 4831 (especially the older surplus 4831) the gas port pressure will not be high enough to harm the M1. In fact it probably will be too low and you will need to up the charge to get enough psi at the gas port just to function the M1. Granted 4831 is not a good powder to use with full bore jacketed bullet loads in the M1 but you're not going there are you?

The best accuracy with 4831 and the 311284 in your M1 will be just at the minimum load that gives 100% functional reliability. You are not breaking new ground here.....many, many of us have worked this out in a lot of M1s over the last 50+ years or so.

Larry Gibson
    Thanks! These loads will be used in my o3's, 1917's and Garands! It's time to really start using this ancient powder up......Would it be ok to use Grex vs. Dacron as a buffer? I have seen it used in other cast loads and it's big virtue is that it meters very easily and can be made 100% uniform from case to case etc....

Boolit Buddy
    Where is the best place typically to find Dacron? Walmart sewing section? Craft/Hobby Stores?

Banned

Grex and Dacron are not directly interchangeable. Follow Larry's recommenations, plus Dacron's WAY cheaper.

Do you have a genuine, guillotine-type paper cutter? Even sharp scissors will work. If you don't have any crafty types or quilters in your family that already have trash bags full of free-to-you scraps, go to any store that sells fabric and buy a few yards of quilter's batting, you can get it in rolled sheets of different thicknesses for insulating quilts. Get the 3/8" or 1/2" stuff and cut it into squares with your paper cutter or scissors. Detrmine the size that will weigh enough to lightly fill the space between powder and boolit base at the fiberfill's natural compression density, plus about 10%. DO NOT pack it in there tight. Dacron is very springy and will hold the powder in place if just slightly compressed beyond its natural "loft". While you're at the craft store, pick up a seam ripper also, it's a little tool that resembles a pocket screwdriver but has an offset forked tine on the end, and the vee between the tines is sharpened for cutting individual stitches out of a seam without damaging the cloth fibers. This tool will fit in .30 caliber case necks and is perfect for "dragging" a tuft of Dacron down through the neck and "fluffing" it up down inside the case below the neck. You'll get the hang of poking it in there and lofting it back up while leaving a little bit sticking up in the case neck to seat the boolit against.

I think Larry and others explained pretty well why not to fear my comment about shooting 4831 loads in the Garand, and Dacron acts to reduce "effective" case capacity without raising pressure significantly like other true fillers do. I like to think of Dacron as a "powder locator" rather than a filler, it keeps the powder situated against the coals without adding much weight to the payload or creating any kind of resistive plug at the case shoulder.

Gear

I like Grex/PSB as a filler, but I WOULD NOT use it with 4831 or any large stick powder. To much chance for the filler to mix with the powder.

With 4831 expect some unburned powder in the barrel. Don't worry about it, just keep on shooting.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy
    Had already decided on Dacron after looking around a little......I can probably get all I need for free as my MIL is an avid quilter and the ladies at our Church make dozens of quilts every year as a mission project. Thanks for the tip on the seam ripper.....

Now I need to cast up a bunch of bullets.....

Quote Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
    Has anyone thought about the controversial "SEE" effect that has been reported with severely reduced loads of 4831?

I've never had any problems with 4831, but I use only full or nearly full power loads when loading it.

Just a thought.
    About 1960 I was a lad with a 300 Weatherby. I decided to load it down to 30-06 levels for fun shooting and used a 30-06 charge of 4350 in the big Weatherby case. The result was 100% hangfires. I reported this to my mentor who informed me this was a bad idea, but to avoid what we now call "SEE", I needed to use a faster powder like 4895 if I wanted to do that.

It is a lesson I never forgot!
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 03-11-2012 at 02:04 PM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master

SEE is not a problem with 4831 if the filler is used (when loading density is less than 85% with cast bullets). The filler holds the powder to the rear, negates the primer flash by/through and actually reduces the case capacity which all increase the rise to pressure. That's why the filler works so well where as a wad has problems.

However, in a large case like the 300 WB that Char-Char discusses, using a reduced load of 4831, especially with jacketed bullets, and no filler is asking for an SEE. Good lesson he learned without having an actual SEE.

Larry Gibson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast