Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load Data

Thread: Remington 1903A3 for sale!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar

Remington 1903A3 for sale!

Check this out. You think you guys pay big dollars for 03A3s!

http://www.lawranceordnance.com/shot...es/4131695.php

This is the cheapest of three, the others sold for over $2000 AU.

I picked up a 1942 vintage 1903 Remington in good condition, with a smick bore and bayonet for $AU700 a few years ago. It ain't for sale!
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master

Whew! I have wanted one of these for quite a spell. What is happening is this. Just the time I think I can afford to pay the going rate, the going rate goes up. Problem is the price is going up faster than what I am willing to pay at the time. Guess the best thing to do is just go ahead and jump in.

Either close your eyes and buy one or get a bubba and restore it.

It is a lot of money, but I don't think they wil be losing value anytime soon, just have to look after it. We should be able to shoot squillions of lead boolits through them without a problem.

Like I said, I have a nice 1903, but would love an 03A3 with the peep sight. Out of my league unless I sell a few rifles.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master

When I was a very young man I had 5 03A3's. Paid $30.00 each for them. Got married, needed money so sold them for $40.00 each. One was a Remington that looked like it had never been issued. The folly of youth!

Larry

Boolit Master
    Well dont tell anyone around here they bring that much. I can still sometimes get em for around 700.00
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

What is the exchange rate between Aussie dollar and American dollar?
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

An Aussie dollar is currently worth a tad over a dollar five cents US. I was buying custom moulds on group buys here a couple of years ago when our dollar was only worth around fifty cents! That hurt

Boolit Master
    Maybe I'm missing the joke here. I paid 500 USD in 2010 for my Remington 03-a3 and it was in significantly better condition. You can get refurbs for 700 from surplus websites; 03-a4's for a grand.
    Who keeps not his arms in times of peace, Will have no arms in times of war.
    -Gaelic Proverb

They are an American milsup gun and are pretty rare in Australia. I have never seen one for less that $600 and they all had trashed barrels.

The only good ones I have ever seen was those owned by a family that competed in military rifle shoots and they all shot 1903s or 03A3s.

My one was the first with a decent barrel I had ever had the opportunity to buy. It cost me $700 or $750 complete with a bayonet, which was way cheaper than it should have been.

The supply is small, the demand is high, so the prices go up accordingly.

We are very lucky in America to have the supply of guns we have and compared to every other part of the world, very few restrictions on firearms purchases and use.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

In Remembrance

Us remington model 03-a3

Remington 2 43 on the barrel and the serial #3989XXX. Four groove and nice bore. Dark gray parkerizing. Somehow those numbers and date don't quite jibe.
    It is a virtually new gun, metal wise but the stock looks like it was on a training rifle for forty years. I have a friend that has a couple of hundred springfield stocks and I anticipate selecting a more suitable stock for this metal.

I bought it last Saturday from an old woman walking around the gunshow.
    She asked $425.00 and I looked at it. I ended up buying it for $350.00 after a little haggling. I think that was a great buy.

This is the first Springfield I have had in the last fifteen or so years. I just recently got the hots for another one.

It seems to me that Australia is not the place you want to be if you are a gun looney and are cash challenged such as I am. I do feel for you Australians, but when you look at some of the other countries we could have been stuck in we Australians and Americans don't have it so bad.
    A week ago I sold my 1990 Toyota and with the money I bought an Anschutz .22 rifle and a Remington model 1100 shotgun and a Finn M39 Mosin Nagant rifle and this Springfield and only spent a total of $715.00 + $50.00 trading stock.

After all you can't take the money with you. I hear you can't take the guns with you either, dang it.
    I had to tell someone of my good fortune and saw the 03-A3 post. Thanks for listening.

Life is good

Boolit Master
    I have a real good Remington 03, 700 will buy. I'm not going to ship it to australia, though.

The big gunstore in the next state have advertised refurbished 03A3s and 03A4s with sniper scope, etc. This is the gun I think:

http://www.buffaloarms.com/1903A4_Sp....aspx?CAT=4614

However, the rifle sells for $999.60 in America and it will be selling for $AU 2195 here!!!

The 03A3s will be selling for $AU 1295. I can't seem to find these now, but I am sure I saw them for just under $US700.

They will be a bit dear, but when they come in, they are only a telephone call and a day or so away I suppose, wheras ordering from the states is a long and painful process. My mate has imported a few rifles and pistols, I will be seeing him tomorrow and will have a talk with him.

I'm not a collector as such and would be very happy with a correct restoration.

If importing is too difficult, I might buy the 03A3 (always wanted one of these!) from the shop here and fit my 1903 with a no gunsmithing mount (I don't want to attack my garden variety, but original 1942 Remington) and an old Weaver 3X that I have and play sniper
    Last edited by Four Fingers of Death; 03-12-2012 at 11:48 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Found my Rem 03A3 about 10 years ago, think I paid $250 for it. The guy used it for Bambi blasting. Still in great shape. Had to pony up $500 for my Smith Corona but it's even nicer.

I also picked out one of the 03 "chromies" the CMP had some time ago. Although it is a parade rifle it has a very tight bore and throat with strong rifling. It has a very heavy chrome plating, came with a fine looking glossy stock and a white sling. The only issue is the rear sight, needs replacing but I can't find a chrome one anywhere. I just tell everybody I hired "Pimp My Rifle".

All the old battle rifles have really increased in price over the last 10 years or so but none like the USGI. I feel for anybody trying to build a collection nowadays, but that's also what the old timers told me when I was building mine.

Rick

Boolit Grand Master

SARCO has 3 different 1903s available, 1903 Remington, 1903A3 Springfields, and 1903A3 Springfields made up for the Pacific series. They are priced $595, $595, and $895.
    The Pacific guns are Smith-Corona or Remington, your choice. These were imported off the movie set in Australia.

I have a Smith-Corona and Remington 1903a3s from the CMP plus a Remington 1903, and a SC sporter. I had sold the CMP SC but bought it back for less than I sold it for!
    Sure are great shooting guns that operate well and not as heavy as most Mil-surp rifles.

Boolit Master
    I found this for you, FFD. I'd like to see you get an 03a3 for U.S. prices. Everyone should own such a fine rifle.

http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/re...-BFirearms.pdf
    Who keeps not his arms in times of peace, Will have no arms in times of war.
    -Gaelic Proverb

Boolit Master
    I had a Rossi 45 colt that I had shot 5000 rounds through and got tired of it so took it to a gun show and laid it on the table put $500 on it just to have some wiggle room. A man came by with a 03A3, '44 Remington with a 12/43 barrel, looked new. He said what cal is your Rossi '92 I said 45 Colt, he said that is what I need for cowboy action shooting. I handed it to him with the box and papers and said hand me yours , done I said he was happy I was very happy. Emailed Remington and they told me the date it left the factory and added that the barrel was more than likely original. If it had been fired I couldn't tell as the bolt face was still parkerized. It is a great shooter and I am very happy with the trade. He said he got two of them from DCMP and had never shot one.
    Last edited by Freightman; 03-15-2012 at 05:46 PM.
    Frank G.

Thanks ilcop. The gunshop in the next town are about to put together a request for an import permit. I can piggy back on this if I like. Thinking about a Gibbs 03A3 rebuild.

The other, more sensible option is to continue with my 42 made Remington 1903 and be happy with that. Whichever way we go (apart from kicking on with my current 1903) we are looking at pretty serious dollars. Decisions, decisions, lol!

Great swap Freightman!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by largom View Post
    When I was a very young man I had 5 03A3's. Paid $30.00 each for them. Got married, needed money so sold them for $40.00 each. One was a Remington that looked like it had never been issued. The folly of youth!

Larry
    Those days are LONG gone. Bummer. At these prices I will never have an O3A3

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin