Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Garand recommendation?

Boolit Mold

Garand recommendation?

I'm looking to get all of my paperwork together and order a Garand (or 2) from the CMP. I'm looking for a couple of good shooters. What grade and manufacturer should I be looking at? I'll probably shoot mostly cast, but want the option to shoot jacketed (what throat and muzzle wear is the max I should consider)?

Am I going to be happy with performance of a service grade gun or do I need to get one of the collector grade with a new CMP stock?

Thanks for any advice.

Boolit Master

I own 20 CMP service grade Garands from CMP and 1 collector grade. I had each one checked by a gunsmith. Only 1 needed some parts to make it "time." They are all accurate with 150-168 grain jacketed bullets. I have 2 winchesters, 1 International Harvester, and an equal mix of Springfields and H&R's. I have not noticed any difference in accuracy among the manufacturers.. I have not fired any boolits through them yet so I can't comment on their accuracy. You are only guaranteed that the receiver is from the manufacturer you order. They have been rebuilt using various parts available.
    You can't specify the throat or muzzle wear. They are within the standards set forth in the different grades. It is my understanding the service grades are of battle quality when they were stored. I hope this helps.

Boolit Master
    Get a service grade or above.

Boolit Mold
    +1 on Service grade or above.... an SA is good....If you live close to either store go hand pick...Look for the a 1960s barrel MHO is great...with latest 50s second......LMR barrels are tops too.... I have always heard lead could plug the gas port in the barrel so be sure to keep and eye on it

Boolit Mold
    Thanks all.

Wish I did live close by, but I'll just have to order and see what I get.

Not sure if I'll go for an H&R or SA first. Ultimately would like to have at least one of each.

It's been pretty hard to tell what you're actually getting at a gun show and the shop I'd trust that has these regularly wants a few hundred more than the CMP price for comparably graded rifles.

On Heaven's Range

[QUOTE=M1DM84; I have always heard lead could plug the gas port in the barrel so be sure to keep and eye on it[/QUOTE]

Yes, and some MYTHS never seem to die!

After thousands of cast bullets have been fired through my Garands, and MANY thousands more fired by others ihere in THEIR Garands, I'm confident in saying that, unless something is radically amiiss or abused, the gas port WILL NOT get "plugged by lead". I have personally fired strings in excess of six hundred cast-bullet rounds in one of my Garands WITHOUT CLEANING, and the rifle was still functioning normally.

I disassembled it after one of these marathons mostly out of curiosity, to find...ZERO "'lead buildup" anywhere in the barrel or gas system. NONE!

Please, spare us "what you have heard".
    Last edited by BruceB; 03-05-2012 at 12:24 AM.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master
    +1 on BruceB's post. He knows his way around reloading cast for a Garand.

Only thing to mind is the ammunition you fire. You must shoot ball or equivalent jacketed loads (Hornady makes M1 loads, for instance). Shooting factory loads that are too hot for the Garand will damage the op rod.
    Who keeps not his arms in times of peace, Will have no arms in times of war.
    -Gaelic Proverb

Boolit Master

if your going to shoot many reloads would invest in a Schuster gas plug will be best money you will spend

Boolit Mold
    Thanks. I'll check that gas plug out.

Anyone shooting 311299 with success in their Garand?

Thanks again to Bruce B for steping up to the plate and putting a round through that myth one more time.

I really and truly wish folks would post what they "know" and not what they "heard" or "read". It happens so often around here with new folks getting confused about what is real and what is not real.

This board exists for serious cast bullet shooters who have "been there and done that" and post what they know. It is OK to come here to listen learn, ask questions and share you expeience. But it not OK (IMHO) to repeat myths, old wives tales and blather in general. There is so much malarky here, that most of the old timers who really, knew have taken to the hills.

It is not my intention to offend anybody, just to try and set the bar a little higher than it has been lately.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

In Remembrance

M1DM84 and doctorggg

Please, know that you both are very welcome here and we all appreciate your posts.
    We old codgers here do "profile" according to post count mostly and have little else to tell how much knowledge a person has to draw on, initially.
    BruceB and CHAR-GAR have dealt with so many facts regarding cast boolits that just are not true it gets kinda wearisome at times. [I hope I can speak for them].
    I constantly find myself trying to convince other shooters that cast boolits will not ruin their guns.
    I only have one M1 Garand and have listened to the people that have way more experience than I do and have had great fun shooting cast boolits in my Garand and all my other guns also.
    Usually if a cast boolit will shoot in a bolt gun with your load it will shoot well in a Garand in regards to leading. The most important aspect to consider when loading for the Garand is not to use the slow burning rate powders with jacketed bullets.
    There are many threads here at Cast Boolits that deal with the proper loading of cast boolits. A goodly portion of those are BruceB's exhaustive testing and finding what works in semi auto rifles. When Bruce talks, I listen.

Life is good

Boolit Buddy
    I would get Service grade or better. If you want an all new gun{rebuilt 100%) with new barrel get the service grade special RM1SPECIAL
    Or the RM1SASSP may have a little less metal condition since it is 90-95% finish on metals both are like new
    The regular service grades right now guys have been getting better gins fro the HRA than the SA when mail ordering them. But also alot of guys getting Greek Black Park in the HRA vs getting a gray parked ones but the condtion of whhat has been sent was better with the HRA's right now
    You could also join the CMP forum
    http://forums.thecmp.org/

I have a great Garand that is not leaving my hands. It is a Springfield Arsenal (1944) that was rebuilt by Red River Army Depot in May of 1965 with a Line Machine Co barrel. The condition was like new when it fell into my hands 10 years ago. I paid $500 for it, which was pretty much going price that then. I would not sell it for double or triple that now.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Mold
    Hey Gang...sorry but like I said ...I had heard,,,no one ever took the time to debunk the myth for me...When I know it is a myth I will say "there is a myth" best to know everything from every corner..No harm no foul I came here to learn and understand the profilers
    I always wondered how that lead got in there...or did it?
    I guess my new tag can be....and I do not know if it is a myth

"I saw Bigfoot"

Boolit Mold
    If you go to there forum they have some great rifles being picked up right now. I went up 3 weeks ago and got a nice Springfield(1944). It had alot of ww2 peices on it which I was looking for. Get a service grade and enjoy.

Boolit Mold
    Sent in an order for a service grade HRA and SA last week. Hoping to get loads ready before they get here.

Boolit Master

Can I suggest you go to one of the CMP Stores and select for good muzzle, tight stock and good throat, in that order?

Pic you can't go to the CMP north or south store, they also bring rifles to their east and west coast events.

If you can't look first, look at the "Specials". For some years I shot a 1960's rebuild that had been shot little. The stock on it looked nice, but it had been clamped betwixt the receiver & trigger group for 40+ years and there was not a lot of tension when the trigger group was closed. I decided to get either a Special in a new Birch or Walnut stock. The day I visited the North store I had my choice of refinished Winchester receiver/Criterion bbl/new walnut stock, or nearly new original finish H&R receiver & bbl/pumpkin orange birch stock and a substantially lower price. I went with the H&R, and instead of just barely winning a Garand gold medal I placed much higher. Those specials are less of a collector's item, but you get a much better stock and a good barrel. I chose the H&R because I trust it a bit more than Criterion.

This H&R shoots as well as one of my match prepped .30-'06 Garands.

Once you get your Garand, don't take it out of the stock except once to put Boiled Linseed Oil on the inside wood. Taking it apart puts lots of wear on the wood.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the recommendation. If like to get there, but it's a little far. Maybe they'll do something in OKC (can't make it up there this April).