Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Experience with H&G #9?

Boolit Master

Experience with H&G #9?

I've recently acquired a Hensley and Gibbs #9 mold, I expect it to arrive any day.

I've always been a fan of the "type 3" wadcutter, but had never found one in 38 caliber at a price I was willing to pay, until now. I've been using type 3 wadcutters in 32 and 45 calibers for a while with success and accuracy, but I haven't tried it in the .38's.

I'll have no problem figuring out safe loads, but I was wondering if anyone had any insight into accurate loads with it? Personal experiences with it? etc
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master
    Hmm. I guess this mold must be even less common than I thought!

It arrived today, I hope to cast over the weekend, and do some shooting in the next few weeks. If work will slow down enough for me to, anyways.

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master
    Well, I got a little time in casting, and the bullets drop beautifully, as they tend to from all my H&G molds.

This one is actually a Geo A Hensley mold, made prior to his partnership with Gibbs.

I'm looking forward to doing some shooting with it next week, if I can get the time to do it.

There is something about 38 SPL and wadcutters that just seem to go together. I shot plenty of them years ago when I had a S&W model 10 M&P 4". It absolutely loved those WC with SR4756 powder. I haven't shot any out of a Hensley mold, but I bet they're plenty good shooting. Enjoy.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NAHC Life Member
    TSRA Life Member

Unlike most things in life, knowledge can be given away freely and never be diminished

Boolit Mold
    nozombies:

The H&G #6 shows to be a 38-40, sized .410 @180 grain.
    Arlin

Boolit Mold
    NoZombies:

I must be dislexic today I saw the number as a 6 not a 9. The H&G site lists the #9 as a full wad cutter 150 grain bullet.

Arlin

Boolit Master
    The H&G #9 has two lube grooves and a crimp groove. There is a full diameter portion ahead of the crimp groove, followed by a slightly smaller diameter section leading to a flat nose.

I normally lube one groove on wadcutters, so that's how I'll start with the #9 as well. I'll report back after I get a chance to shoot a few... whenever that turns out to be.

My example mold is pretty well beaten to death, but I still have hopes for the bullets. There was a piece of grit under the one side when the photo was taken BTW, that's why one side isn't making contact. The gnarly looking grooves and such are partly the result of the poor mold, and partly the result of the magnification.

What these boolits dropping at? .360?

I have an H and G #50 that i bought off this site from a member.

I love the shape , it is classic. three groove buttonhead wadcutter.

But, what a pin in the neck to size and lube. IfI do not size them wthin the first few hours after casting......it is a bear.

They drop at .362 or .3625!!!! And I am sizing to .358.....grrrr....I have come close to the limit on bending the handle on my Star.

I have a can full right now thatI am tempted to re-melt, and re-cast ONLY ifI have the time to immediately size them. Sheeesh, I love that little buttonhead WC, but I think I will be casting more of the Lyman DEWC...I can size them without doing Isometric contractions on my right arm.

LOL.

Boolit Master
    They run right at .359-.360 from WW's in my mold.

I'm sure I'll get a chance to shoot some before too long, looks like I might be getting together with a few folks in a week or two.