RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45 acp not burning all powder with 230gr?

Boolit Master

+1 on Larry Gibson.

Modern powders burning cleaner?

The dirtiest powder on my shelf is A No. 2 I get much more unburned powder granules than with Bullseye or Unique.

That said:

Shake those unburned kernels out on a piece of white paper and take a close look at them with an 8 to 10x glass. You will find that many of them are not "unburned" but just a powder granule shaped husk of ash.

First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

I have loaded 250,000 rounds of 45 ACP ammo for the 1911 pistol and have used Bullseye for 99% of them. I don't plan to change. Unburned powder is never a problem.

I continue to scratch and shake my head at folks who keep trying to do new things with the round and pistol. We broke the code on all of this 100 years ago, but folks still insist on reinventing the wheel.

I am indeed a grey haired geezer and use Bulleye, Unique and 2400 for my handgun reloading. Don't plan on changing either. I have been washing my hands and cleaning my guns for a very long time, and figured out how that is done.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

On the other hand, Char-Gar, most of us are quite happy that somebody in 1880 or so thought, "There must be something that burns cleaner than FFg..."

(With apologies to those who are about to jump on me with tales of the Holy Black.)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Raab View Post
    On the other hand, Char-Gar, most of us are quite happy that somebody in 1880 or so thought, "There must be something that burns cleaner than FFg..."

(With apologies to those who are about to jump on me with tales of the Holy Black.)
    black does work in the 45 acp too
    i have some other powders available on the shelf too though so i'll use one of them.

Speaking of the "Holy Black", I have reloaded 45 Colt cases with as much of it as I could stick in the case and still seat the bullet. It was a trip down nostalgia lane...until cleaning time. Soap and water worked best but I can guarantee you it will put you in the dog house if the wife is home.
    NRA Patron Member

Kids Are For People That Can't Have Dogs

I am one of them Gray-haired old geezers i load 5.8gr cfe pistol with 230gr rnfp the only time i get unburned powder is with small pistol primers cases

Boolit Master
    Did you notice how old this thread is?
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    Like he said, old and geezer. If you were in earshot he would have said "What?".

The slower the powder the closer to the top end you want to be for complete burn. If you want lighter target loads drop to a faster powder.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol