WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cast actions

Boolit Mold

cast actions

Is ther any body out there still making or casting single shot rifle kits?

Boolit Master

Frontier Armory. A friend bought one of their Highwall kits. He hasn't finished it yet.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    Frontier Armory. A friend bought one of their Highwall kits. He hasn't finished it yet. Bob

Do they still offer that kit? Before I did my Highwall custom build I searched in vain for a casting kit but although some had been offered in the past they were all out of production now, I went back to Frontier Armory's site (New Frontier Armory?) and looked around but I can't find any casting kits. Maybe I am overlooking them but if they still have them I have a friend that's going to be delighted to know this!

I eventually just machined my Highwall receiver and internal parts from a solid bar of 4140 HT and I am as of now in the process of doing the same thing to build a scaled down "Baby" Highwall. The reason I find your post so interesting is that I have a buddy that has been hounding me to rough out a receiver blank for him but I can't legally do that so I had to turn him down.

Boolit Master

It has been awhile since he got his kit so things might have changed. I didn't try and pull up the site. It was like pulling teeth to get the kit but he did finally get it.

The kit that I thought was the simplest and neat was the Ferris action.

You could let your friend build the action on your tooling and with your "intense supervision" and mentoring.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Man
    You could legally build the reciever to an 80% or less complete and still be ok. He would have to do the finial finish work to make it an actual reciever.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bambeno View Post
    You could legally build the reciever to an 80% or less complete and still be ok. He would have to do the finial finish work to make it an actual reciever.

Actually that was the plan but I am still concerned about what could be considered 80% and while it may be that I am worried about nothing there is unfortunately a reason for it. Seems there are some "busy bodies" locally who would like nothing more than to cause some shooting friends and me as much grief as possible. Odd ball bunch these guys, I live so far out in the boonies on a ridge here in Tn that my shooting can hardly even be heard by any neighbors but these weirdos called the police when they learned I had committed the heinous crime of building a couple of rifles, one of them a muzzleloader.

The really funny part is the county deputy that was sent out to see what the complaint was about wound up staying for a couple of hours chatting about guns, hunting and the growing local wild Turkey population, he simply laughed about the complaints since a 130 year old design single shot rifle with a 32" barrel is hardly an illegal weapon.

Boolit Master
    have him buy the various and sundry parts and just "assist" him in machining/fitting them.
    The other part of the equation is not having to tell everybody either of you know.

Rich

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldred View Post
    Do they still offer that kit? Before I did my Highwall custom build I searched in vain for a casting kit but although some had been offered in the past they were all out of production now, I went back to Frontier Armory's site (New Frontier Armory?)

New Frontier Armory https://www.newfrontierarmory.com doesn't appear to be the same as,
    http://www.frontierarmory.com/
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by scb View Post
    New Frontier Armory https://www.newfrontierarmory.com doesn't appear to be the same as,
    http://www.frontierarmory.com/

Thanks that explains a lot, I will have Dave (the fellow I was talking about wanting the casting kit) give them a call and see what they have. I may be way off here on this one but I heard there was a small foundry that cast a bunch of those Highwall kits some years ago and several of these were sold by a couple of different people, they have since ceased production. The kits were of very high quality and were cast from 8620 steel but as of a little over a year ago none were left available for sale that I could find anyway.

Thanks again for the info.

Boolit Bub
    The Upper Missouri Trading Co. offers a Remington Hepburn in two stages of completion. $400 & $600. The extra money gets a bunch of machining; some of which could be difficult for a hobbiest to do. I have the more expensive kit, but it's still a little intimidating; not in difficulty but the amount of work still left to do. There's no way I'd contemplate the cheaper kit. But...other guys are more capable than I am and have better equipment. I didn't pay anywhere near the current price; luckily found another guy who realized he'd bitten off more than he could chew. Decent website, with a article on a build to completion.

Boolit Master

This really got my interest up in the Highwall castings kit but I have been searching without luck the last couple of days for more info on these things. I can find the same links and and discussions at gun sites that I found a couple of years ago but it seems anything I have found dated past about the middle of 2010 is from people who are also trying to find these kits. Apparently they were last produced about 4 or 5 years ago and have not been reproduced since, this is the conclusion I have come to but I could very well be wrong. There would seem to me to be enough interest in these kits to make it a good selling item but for some reason it apparently is not, liability reasons maybe?

One option that might be considered is Taylors,

http://www.taylorsfirearmsstore.com/...hWallParts.htm

Every piece of the Highwall can be purchased here but of course the receiver would have to go through a dealer for the proper paperwork to keep the feds happy. These are all finished parts that would require only minor fitting but collectively they would cost more than just buying a completed rifle, still a person could buy the receiver or any other parts he might not want to make.

Just a thought

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by G-Smith View Post
    Is ther any body out there still making or casting single shot rifle kits?
    There was/is?? a gunsmith in Colorado or Utah who created a parallel business casting 1895 Farquharson kits of [a] chrome-molybdenum steel or Armco 17-4PH. He also sold assembled actions and barreled actions.

While he ceased this business several years ago, he had many kits in inventory - at very reasonable prices.

While I think I remember his name as Robertson, I know he is deaf (memorable). I queried about man and kits on accurate rifles forum. If you have interest and cannot locate a link, let me know. I may have contact information archived.

Hope this helps.
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Boolit Man
    I have done a lot of digging into this also, the only source that i have found for castings that may be reasonably priced is here:

http://therifleshoppe.com/catalog_pa...hot_parts).htm

they do the reciever castings that Frontier Armory used to make. For the recievers you must call for a price on btw, as they dont list the price or availability.

Building your own firearms is not illegal btw, provided you are within legal parameters such as barrel length, it not being full auto, and that you are legally allowed to own or use a firearm and are not a felon, and the fact that the firearm is not allowed to be sold, are just a few of the requirements. Hope this helps! Denny

Boolit Master

Actually they can be sold/gifted or otherwise transferred but it is kind of fuzzy about what's legal, easy enough to do but I would not attempt to interpret the exact details of law here and anyone considering transferring one of these scratch built guns needs to check the laws themselves. What gets fuzzy is the law does get kind of vague about how many guns may be transferred in a given period and of course a serial number has to be created and placed on the receiver. Basically if the firearm is of a legal design and only one or two are sold or passed as a gift then a person should be on solid legal ground PROVIDED ALL THE RULES ARE FOLLOWED! If however a person builds and transfers more than an "occasional" (I think that's the term the feds use) firearm then they need a manufacturer's license which is going to be prohibitively expensive and complicated to get unless a person is going into regular production or taking custom orders. So yes it can be done BUT be aware of the laws involved and make sure all the rules are followed!
    Last edited by oldred; 03-09-2012 at 11:33 AM.

Banned

I have several as cast Clerke receivers. They take Highwall parts.

http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g5/lkydvl/Clerkes/

Am currently looking for someone to make me sets of internal parts for 20 receivers.

Am open to options on doing so, cash, trade, swap for receivers etc.

Please email me at lkydvl@hotmail.com if you are interested.

Andre'

Boolit Master

Boulder River Foundry, (406) 932-6540, has high wall casting kits. I have bought several parts from them over the years. They make the castings for Sharps.
    lkydvl, I might be interested in looking at what you need done.

Boolit Master
    Boulder River is owned by Shiloh Sharps. Their stuff is all top drawer...

Rich

Boolit Master

Apparently Boulder doesn't have a web site and that's why they were so hard to find, I sure overlooked them. I did manage to find a pic of the kit, the customer must decide which version (single vs set trigger, pistol grip, etc,) but this pic shows all the parts for both versions. These are raw castings and will require a set of prints to complete but all the parts are there for someone with the equipment and determination to create a nice custom built rifle. Building this rifle from scratch is very much possible also and just looking at the raw parts in the kit and considering set-up time and the amount of machining required that may be an option. That's what I did with my first Highwall and is what I am doing with the scaled down "Baby" Highwall I am building now, considering the much easier setup when working with flat surfaces and having an established edge to work from it's not all that much more work than machining the castings or at least it seems that way to me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shiloh_Sharps_made_1885_KitHighRes2_001.jpg  

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Don't know if this helps at all, but:

http://kwk.us/FA/
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the info. I have emails sent to one of the maufacturers...

Could be a great project.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast