Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Attention Ruger Inc.

Guy La Pourque

Attention Ruger Inc.

I am probably going to get shot for this - and maybe rightfully so - but I want a classy Ruger No. 1.

Why in blazes is this gun not offered in the graceful octagonal barrels and provisions for the archaic tang sights the BPCR guys are so enamoured with? I know it wouldn't be a BPCR legal rifle but who cares? The idea of the gun was a modern take on an old world design in the first place, wasn't it?

I figure that if these guys can crank out a piston AR15 on a whim and push it into an overcrowded market...can't they do the same with the No. 1?

I wonder what is preventing them from doing this? From a marketing standpoint something like this would be obvious to me...

Boolit Master

Production Costs versus forecasted return for the outlay of material and equipment.

AKA - Its cheaper to turn out a round barrel versus an octagonal and its cheaper to put one of their sights that already in production on a barrel versus purchasing another sight from Pedersoli or another producer or setting up a line to produce those BPCR sights themselves...

If the market was there, they would jump into it. Tacticool and polymer firearms are cheaper to produce and are being purchased in quantity to offset the costs of setting up the machines to produce them.

Ruger No. 1s are priced such that whoever can afford them can afford to trick out the rifle the way they want it afterwards. You don't see No1s being used as truck guns very often...

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

My Ruger No 1 has spent a LOT of time in the truck. So much so that it's named: "Miss Piggy".
    Life's too short to shoot an ugly gun.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Guy La Pourque View Post
    Why in blazes is this gun not offered in the graceful octagonal barrels and provisions for the archaic tang sights the BPCR guys are so enamoured with? I know it wouldn't be a BPCR legal rifle but who cares? The idea of the gun was a modern take on an old world design in the first place, wasn't it?.
    I have wondered the same thing and although it would be easy enough to custom build one such as that on a used no. 1 action it might get a bit spendy unless a person has the means to perform the work themselves. I agree that such a rifle would be very appealing and maybe Ruger is missing the boat on this one, but then maybe not.

Let's see, a nice medium weight octagon barrel and a really nice feather grain walnut stock with a crescent butt plate plus a good long range sight......possibilities are endless. It may not be BPCR legal or even "traditional" but like you said who cares?

Boolit Master
    I would be happy if they just brought the plain jane #3 back...maybe add the .358 Win chambering while they were at it.

Boolit Master
    As said above, not enough people want the cool things we may want.

On another forum site, we went through a similar thread except the "I want's" were for a no. 1 in 22LR - go figure ! Talk about a high dollar .22 !!!
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rick hodges View Post
    i would be happy if they just brought the plain jane #3 back...maybe add the .358 win chambering while they were at it.
    definitely!
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Or a #3 in .357 Max..
    Best,
    Mike

NRA Life Member
    Remember Ira Hayes

In Remembrance

Even an old retired plumber, namely ME, would be interested in an octagan barreled Number 1 in an appropiately rimmed cartridge. Either my memory is bad or something, but I seem to remember Ruger making a special run of the #1 with an octagan barrel once for another company`s celebration of some sort?Robert

Boolit Buddy

group buy

group buy?

As said above, not enough people want the cool things we may want.

Maybe if Davidson's or Lipsey's hears enough about this, they would be interested.
    Time to start bugging the above about it.

Boolit Buddy
    You need to get with Lipseys and convince them that is a market for these. Remember that is how the 44 SPL got started and now its a catalogue item from Ruger.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hodges View Post
    I would be happy if they just brought the plain jane #3 back...maybe add the .358 Win chambering while they were at it.
    I'm with Rick and AL.

As far as the tang sight it would be tough with the safety back there. But the sight that they put on the Win. 95s might be somewhat classy. Peabody is making those.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master

Drool! A Ruger #3 in .358 Winchester--the drool factor would be almost too much to stand. I wouldn't care if it had a round or octagon barrel. I would manage to find the right sights also. Bring it on Ruger and I couldn't resist. Did I say I like .35's. James

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    Even an old retired plumber, namely ME, would be interested in an octagan barreled Number 1 in an appropiately rimmed cartridge. Either my memory is bad or something, but I seem to remember Ruger making a special run of the #1 with an octagan barrel once for another company`s celebration of some sort?Robert
    They did put out a special modle for Lyman ,cased and fitted with one of those old brass scopes, in 45-70 ,a very impresive set

Boolit Grand Master

Because they are hammerless Ruger #1s and other hammerless BPCR are not allowed in many BPCR competitions. Ergo not a good market for them.

Larry Gibson

Vendor Sponsor

The only competition that I know of that the Ruger #1 can not compete in is NRA BPCR Silhouette
    In most other matches they are welcome. They for sure CAN be used in NRA longrange Creedmoor, ......and have been.
    Chill Wills

Heck, I'd be happy if they would just drill & tap them for the Williams peep sight so I didn't have to.

OK, what would be really cool is a military style sight set. Something like the 1901 Krag. Just dial in your elevation and shoot. Oh, why can't modern rifles come with sights as good as what was available 100 years ago?

I'm happy with a modified No.3. Mucho yeehah.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hodges View Post

yep that would be great

I have #3's in 223 & 375 Big Bore - I would be interested in .357 Max or .358 WCF
    Last edited by Artful; 02-08-2012 at 11:13 PM.

Boolit Master
    Hello, Guy..I agree 100%...even if they went with a heavy tapered round brl. like the Sharps Borchards had would be nice. But MY biggest pet peeve is why Ruger..and Dakota too, for that matter saddle a nice single shot rifle with a stubby 22" brl.?
    The very advantage of having the short (as compared to the long tubular reciever of bolt guns) is the fact that even with a 26" or 28" brl...the overall length is still shorter. This puts the difference in length just where it is most usefull..increased velocity from a longer..and IMO, especially on a S.S. graceful brl.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast