Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Shooting 45 Colt in 454 Casull?

Boolit Bub

Shooting 45 Colt in 454 Casull?

Noticed there are lots of Rossi owners on this forum and I have been thinking about getting one. Does anyone have a 454 Casull and shoot 45 Colt thru it? Does this cause leading in the chamber throat? Do the 45 colt rounds shoot as accurately as the Casull rounds? It looks like Rossi gives a lot more finish options in 45 Colt. I have been shooting some pretty stout loads thru my Ruger Blackhawk, is there any thing to be gained shooting the casull in a rifle? It would need to be a substantial difference to justify tooling up and buying brass for a new caliber. I already have 45-70s and 444 Marlins and 45 Colt in Ruger Blackhawks.
    A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.
    Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    The 454 Casull won't do anything that the 45/70 will do at less pressure, but the Rossi will give you a tiny, light, very powerful rifle that is easy to carry, but make sure your hat is pulled down firmy on your head, because it sure will kick!

I can't tell you if the 45Colt brass will work and jumped on the band wagon to find out (future posts will come up on my user CP). At the worst, 454 cases will last a long time with mild loads I'm thinking.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master

I have been shooting a Rossi 454 for a few years now. I have used 45 LC's in it and never had a problem with leading. Consider it the same as using 38 Specials in a .357 mag chamber. In pistols 454 is really pushing it. If you look at the amount of metal between the chamber and the rest of the world in a revolver, and consider the pressure of the 454. it makes you a little more careful. In a 92 clone there is a lot more metal all the way around.
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO
    If vegans love animal so much, why do they eat all their food?

I don't need one of those Rossi 454s, but I sureeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee would like one, lol.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master

I don't own the 454, simply because I can load my Black hawk and Rossi 45LC to loads that will wear out a piece of brass in about 2 loadings, and out of that Rossi wear out your shoulder with one round. With the 45LC loaded with 10 grains of Unique and a 255 grain RNFP cast boolit, the 45LC will bring down anything rather quickly that you will find here in North America. I have seen full grown buffalo in videos just piled up after being shot with a 45LC behind the shoulder. I guess there is always some justification for bigger, but the whole purpose of the 92 was a light, short to medium range rifle, that you could carry all day, and shoot, and feel like doing it again the next day. If you are going to get away from that line of thinking, you might as well pack and use a 45-70.

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boerrancher View Post
    I don't own the 454, simply because I can load my Black hawk and Rossi 45LC to loads that will wear out a piece of brass in about 2 loadings, and out of that Rossi wear out your shoulder with one round. With the 45LC loaded with 10 grains of Unique and a 255 grain RNFP cast boolit, the 45LC will bring down anything rather quickly that you will find here in North America. I have seen full grown buffalo in videos just piled up after being shot with a 45LC behind the shoulder. I guess there is always some justification for bigger, but the whole purpose of the 92 was a light, short to medium range rifle, that you could carry all day, and shoot, and feel like doing it again the next day. If you are going to get away from that line of thinking, you might as well pack and use a 45-70.

Best wishes,

Joe
    I think the whole point and the reason I want one. Is to shoot mild 45lc loads 90% of the time but can bump up the volume when the need arises.
    If you can have only one.... get this. Oh heck even if you can have all you want get this and a 45-70

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range GARCIA's Avatar
    Not a Rossi owner but I do have a 1894 Marlin in 45 Colt.
    With the group buy "Ruger Only" mold in the HP configuration I am getting over 1500fps.
    This is with a handgun load.
    This is closing in on some of the published 45-70 Trapdoor loads.
    More than I will need for a Georgia deer!

Tom

Boolit Master
    What I like about the Rossi 454 is the tube loading option. You can Load and unload them like the tube feed 22s and not have to cycle the rounds thru the action to unload them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by A pause for the COZ View Post
    I think the whole point and the reason I want one. Is to shoot mild 45lc loads 90% of the time but can bump up the volume when the need arises.
    If you can have only one.... get this. Oh heck even if you can have all you want get this and a 45-70
    I honestly believe that once you pull the trigger on a full house 45LC load out of that light little rifle, you will find yourself wanting for the med to mild loads. Until I realized that I could knock a large white tail flat at 150 yards with 10grs of Unique and the Lee 255 RNFP, I was seriously considering boring out the butt stock and putting lead in it to lessen the recoil of the full power loads. Then I discovered what the 10gr unique load would do and have not loaded anything heavier since. It is still a punisher if you sit down and shoot a box of 50 rounds in one setting, but not as bad as the 12 gr of Unique on a 245 gr boolit.

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    I will also say being a Rossi 45 Colt owner of many years a 265 grainer with 19 grains of 2400 will convince most anyone that it is one hum-dinger of a thumper capable of nucker-pluncking most any critter out there. Move up to a 300 grainer and you do have an equal PLUS to the 45-70 express loads (BP) which were noted as good critter mashers.
    If I need more than that I happily pull out a 1886 (jap) lightweight 45-70 and start chunking 350 and heavier slugs at 1600 fps+.
    Now if I had to have a lever gun to match caliber with a revolver in 454 I would go that way. Have a BFR in 454 and maybe one day I will "need" a Rossi to go with it.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Bub

Lots of good responses.

Lots of good responses here. I think after looking them all over the 45 colt sounds like the best bet for now. After the money spent getting up and running to cast my owm I'm not ready to start up again on a new caliber, especialy if the 45 colt will do everything I want it to do.

I have loaded 45 colt in a blackhawk with bullets as heavy as 360 gr. and they are all any critter would need. My every day load behind a 300 gr cast boolit is even pretty stiff. I'm getting were I like the 255 gr with lighter powder charges are all I want sometimes, but that's what the smaller guns are for.

A local gun dealer who wasn't one of my favorites used to tell me "you don't need one of those you need one of these". Collecting and shooting guns has never been about what I need, it's about what I want.

One thing for sure about the 45 colt is it's about as versatile a round as any ever invented and is definately one of my favorites.
    A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.
    Thomas Jefferson

I just checked at the big gunshop in Sydney, the 45Colt and 454 are the same price! Temptations!!!!! I have a 357, a 44, maybe I 'need' a 45 Cal one, lol!

Boolit Master

Get the 454. All the ones in 454 in the states have a recoil pad. You can always shoot 45LC's in it. I like 3 395 grain custom lead over Lil' gun, out of a 20 inch barrel it gives me 45-70 ballistics in a very handy package. I got it to go after wild pigs. So far I have not had it with me when I have been pig hunting, but I've take 3 deer with it so far. It and a .357 Rossi are my favorite "walking around" guns.
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO

Boolit Master
    A 454 Casull loaded down in any firearm WILL be a heck of a "thumper" and fun to shoot.
    Full loads WILL get your attention!!
    Trust me I know. I LOVE the downloaded .454 Casull. It's fun, cartridges last a long time...
    Been paddlin' upstream all my life, don't see no reason to turn around now.

If I do buy on eit will be in 454. I don't need a 454 and the 45 Colt will do all I need, butttttttt, I fancy letting rip occasionally with the thumper!

I alos like the look of a Trapper length in 45Colt with the colour case hardened finished and the saddle ring. I could probably pass on the big lever loop though. Be good for winter hunting I suppose!

Boolit Master

That large lever ring was for spinning to reload and shoot one handed ala John Wayne. Don't think it would be politicly correct today. Never tried it myself but "the Duke" made it look cool. I was a kid when I saw him do it in the movie "stagecoach".
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Barrett View Post
    That large lever ring was for spinning to reload and shoot one handed ala John Wayne. Don't think it would be politicly correct today. Never tried it myself but "the Duke" made it look cool. I was a kid when I saw him do it in the movie "stagecoach".
    I was always interested in mastering that skill until someone pointed out that you are twirling a carbeen while you are jacking a round into the chamber and are at risk of shooting yourself somewhere in the trunk, which contains all vitals from memory. OK for big Ol' Marion with blanks, but if I ever end up with a big looped lever, I will try it with snap caps and see how dangerous it really is.

Sort of thing that imbeds itself into a boy's brain though! Also good in Rooster Cogburn, 'Fill your hand you son of a Beetch!' I must have been 50+ when that came out but it still got my attention!