RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Passed on a levergun

Boolit Grand Master

Passed on a levergun

My new year's resolution to not buy a rifle this year is intact, but just barely. Saw a well-used 94 in 30-30 in the used gun rack yesterday. Action was slick but the exterior was rough, 80% would be a generous rating. Receiver pretty well spotted and more than a little surface rust. Built in 1978, IIRC. Had an ugly scope mount and old scope on it and bore was pretty well fouled. Wood was kinda pretty in spite of having spent a fair bit of time in a gun rack in the back window of a pickup.
    I have a sweet Trapper in 30-30 but seldom shoot it anymore, let alone hunt with it. Not many 98% Trappers out there, want to keep it that pretty.
    Sure hope somebody buys that thing, priced attractively too.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Are all of us in Texas enrolled in the same 12 step program.?
    My wife says I'm no longer a Marlin collector, but have graduated to hoarder...
    I have a few in restoration stages, but really don't have room for what I have let alone more.
    However, if the right one at a give away price comes along, ... uh, er...
    I'll let you know ....

Boolit Master

It is not just you fellas in Texas that are dealing with hoarding issues. The wife keeps putting me in the 12 step program telling me I can't get any more guns, and I keep failing at it miserably.

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Buddy
    Where in Texas?

My dear wife passed away, little over a year ago, due to cancer, and I miss her sorely. But for now, all I can think of, concerning guns, boolits, reloading, and anything associated with the sport is..... "MORE is BETTER!"

I love you, even in your absence Cathy, but you know me, and there is no half-way. Love you Babe, and see you again one day, until then, I'm having multiple sordid affairs with hussies made of steel and wood, fired by volatile powders, and hardly cheap....
    kliff

AR15, 5.56mm home made
    '71 Winchester NRA Centennial 30/30
    336 Marlin 30/30
    Henry Big Boy 45LC
    EMF Uberti '73 45LC
    Rossi Ranch Hand 45LC
    Rossi Rio Grande 45-70
    Ruger Black Hawk 45LC
    Uberti Hombre(x2) 45LC
    Taurus Judge 45LC/.410
    Taurus Tracker 357
    Colt Gov't Mod
    ...to name a few...

Boolit Master
    My wife has tried to put me on a 12 gun (a year) program, but not a 12 step program. That wasn't so effective, I went way over that limit last year and on track to break it this year too.
    "The trick is to stop thinking of it as 'your' money" (Tax Auditor)

Life is not waiting for the storm to subside, life is about learning to dance in the rain.

Boolit Grand Master

Where in Texas? -Milsurp Junkie

Feel like an enabler here but it's @ my buddy's range/gunshop just north of Texas Motor Speedway. Some folks call it Quail Creek Range but I call it my second home. I showed it to another buddy today but we got distracted by his Spencer rifle, 56-52 I believe he called it. Built in 1864 with military markings. Now there's a levergun!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

My gosh I love lever guns! The surprising thing is that I only own two of them! One Glenfield 30-30 and one Savage 99. I find them needing TLC from time to time and have a great time cleaning them up and reselling them. I just can't resist the pleasure and feel of them!

12 step programs? Step 1) Find the gun shops that carry used guns at reasonable prices. (Tex, moons Cabela's and bows with reverence to those mom and pop shops in small towns. Martin's Sporting Goods in Monroe Wisconsin.....see ya'll soon!
    If your mind is made up.....I won't confuse you with the facts.

Boolit Grand Master

We used to have a few great old mom & pop gunshops around here but they're pretty much a thing of the past with a Cabelas, Bass Pro, Cheaper-n-Dirt and a few others within an hour's drive, not to mention mail order....er cyber commerce.

Boolit Master

I gave up a long time ago trying to cure my addiction.......

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    I gave up a long time ago trying to cure my addiction.......
    The cure is not an option most can live with.

Boolit Grand Master

I bought almost every clean levergun that showed up several years ago on the used gun rack @ a local mom & pop LGS, still have a few and they've doubled or tripled in value. Problem is, I can't bear to sell them.

Boolit Master
    you guys are not thinking right after you get so many.the wife can not tell if you add another to the pile. it helps to have 2 or 3 major piles that way you put the new addition in the one she is not watching.

In Remembrance
    Just do not make the mistake of telling them , I bought this one for you when you get caught.
    They never forget, 30 years later it will still be theirs and you will be reminded of it every time you use it.

Boolit Grand Master

For you married guys out there: never leave the house empty-handed when going to the range/LGS/big box sporting goods store. Carry a gun case. For the times when one ambushes you on your lunch break at the pawn shop keep a case in the car. Gun cases are cheaper than lawyers!
    Don't listen to me, I'm a confirmed bachelor. I can walk in nekkid with a gun in each hand and the dog just wants to go out to take care of business.

When did you get that rifle, This old thing I had it before we was married. I just can't come to do it tho.

Boolit Buddy
    A little to far north for me to get to on my lunch hour (I am in Austin).
    My wife has put up with my gun addiction. Then again, she knows that I can't fit any more guns in my safe. If I buy one, I have to make a decision over which one leaves...

Boolit Grand Master

I wasn't suggesting lying to your better half, Boondocker. If the question never comes up you won't have to 'splain yourself.
    Want me to pick it up and meet you for lunch @ the Elite Grill in Waco, Milsurp Junkie? I can also fix you up with a Knaack Jobmaster Chest. Perfect for storing tools, important files, bulk ammo and lead (for ballast).....and mebbe a rifle or two.

"Moderator Emeritus"

Back when I was single, My daughter reffered to me buying guns as a 12 step program. Buy a gun,walk 12 steps, buy another, walk 12 steps........... It wasn't quite that bad, but I was up to 70 some long guns at one point.
    Krag35

I have never met a dishonest dog.

Expatriate, in my own country.

Boolit Grand Master

Back when my profession paid better I and a co-worker formed what we call Gun-of-the-Month Club. I think I still have many of the guns from that period but I don't think he does. Seems he experienced a rather ugly divorce.
    Going to the range tomorrow with the .32 and some BP loads for the Uberti Bird's Head...if it stops raining. Hope that levergun has found a home by then.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast