RepackboxWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 1873 Uberti broken shell extractor

Boolit Grand Master

1873 Uberti broken shell extractor

I have a broken shell in the chamber of my 1873 Uberti Short rifle. The head came off, the cartridge case stayed in the chamber. Any bright ideas about getting it out? If the chamber were more easily accessable I'd simply pour in some cerrosafe and pop it out but I don't think I can get it in there. I'm assuming I'm not the only one who has had this problem!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Without an extractor , you might try a tight fitting patch on a jag or a soft lead round ball and drive it down to the case mouth with a brass rod. Freeze spray for electronics sprayed on the brass will shrink it making it easier to come out.
    Good luck.
    You Know You Might Be Facing your DOOM , if all you get is a click, Instead of a BOOM !

If God had wanted us to have Plastic gun stocks he would have planted plastic Trees !

Boolit Mold
    Try a new stiff bore brush- run the rod thru the bore then screw the brush on from the rear of the chamber- pull it back thru to the case mouth till it grabs then push it back towards the rear. Usually it will get enough bite to push the case out. Have used this on m1's and m1a's several times. Sixgunner john

Boolit Grand Master

John is right, take a new bronze brush a few sizes larger and jam it in, case should come out it the brush. Generally ruins the brush but it's cheaper than the gas you'll burn going to the gunsmith.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.