WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11mm drill on lee cast bullet sizer

Boolit Buddy

11mm drill on lee cast bullet sizer

hello;

have a marlin 1894 with micro groves in the barrel. cast bullet accuracy is not not good at all. have the lee .430 " push through sizing die. bullet is a 258 grain keith style swc.

has anyone take an 11mm (.4331") drill bit, put it and the lee push throught sizing die in a lathe and drill out the .430" sizing die to .4331"????? if so how did it work out???

thanks for any input.

rp

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by rp85 View Post
    hello;

have a marlin 1894 with micro groves in the barrel. cast bullet accuracy is not not good at all. have the lee .430 " push through sizing die. bullet is a 258 grain keith style swc.

has anyone take an 11mm (.4331") drill bit, put it and the lee push throught sizing die in a lathe and drill out the .430" sizing die to .4331"????? if so how did it work out???

thanks for any input.

rp

They would not admit it if they had.
    A 11 millimeter drill will make a big enough hole for a 11 mm bolt to go through.
    Hone it instead.

Boolit Master

Those Lee sizers are hardened (heat-treated) for abrasion resistance; trying to drill one would just be a good way of taking the cutting edges off a perfectly good drill bit. Lapping compound mixed liberally with patience is your best way to go.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Send it back to Lee with a letter explaining what you want, they'll fix it. Call 'em first, they are good people up there.
    kliff

AR15, 5.56mm home made
    '71 Winchester NRA Centennial 30/30
    336 Marlin 30/30
    Henry Big Boy 45LC
    EMF Uberti '73 45LC
    Rossi Ranch Hand 45LC
    Rossi Rio Grande 45-70
    Ruger Black Hawk 45LC
    Uberti Hombre(x2) 45LC
    Taurus Judge 45LC/.410
    Taurus Tracker 357
    Colt Gov't Mod
    ...to name a few...

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraschenbirn View Post
    Those Lee sizers are hardened (heat-treated) for abrasion resistance; trying to drill one would just be a good way of taking the cutting edges off a perfectly good drill bit. Lapping compound mixed liberally with patience is your best way to go.

Bill
    Correct!
    I meant to add that they are as hard as a whores heart.

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by kliff View Post
    Send it back to Lee with a letter explaining what you want, they'll fix it. Call 'em first, they are good people up there.
    Love the Avatar kliff.

Boolit Buddy
    thanks for replys.

made no head way what so ever in 2 hours of trying to enlarge the sizer. guessed it was harden.

will have to give lee a call to check on a .432" sizing die.

thanks again for the input. you all answered my question.

rp

Boolit Master

+1 to what Kliff said. Lee has always been first rate in my dealings with them. Also with that being a 94c if it is any thing at all like it's Little brother the 357 mag, it will not shoot any of the SWC designs. After you have the sizer opened up, if it's accuracy does not improve go with a 240+ grain RNFP boolit and see what happens.

best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Ranch Dog has Lee make 432 push through size dies for him. Looks like he is out of stock now but you can get them from him.

http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/inde...products_id=65

Key
    "Hatred is the cowards answer for being intimidated"

Boolit Grand Master
    I use some wet/dr sand paper , oil, and a brass rod and made mine go from .430 to .432 in less than 15 minutes.

Wrap some 400 grit paper around the rod, makes lt loose enough to fit thru sizer. Add some oil, slip into sizer and roll the sizer up and down pur thigh while sitting in a chair.

After a few minutes stop, clean things up, shove a bullet thru and measure. Keep going til you get the size you want.

It really is that simple. And it works.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    I use some wet/dr sand paper , oil, and a brass rod and made mine go from .430 to .432 in less than 15 minutes.

Wrap some 400 grit paper around the rod, makes lt loose enough to fit thru sizer. Add some oil, slip into sizer and roll the sizer up and down pur thigh while sitting in a chair.

After a few minutes stop, clean things up, shove a bullet thru and measure. Keep going til you get the size you want.

It really is that simple. And it works.
    I gotta try that one!
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Mold
    +1... I've done three of the LEE sizers like that & it works great!

Scott

Drills always drill a couple of thou over stated or measured diameter. They always make a rough hole too, too rough for a sizer. That's if they cut - with a light cut on hardened metal they'll probly just polish the drill down in size. The sandpaper/dowel/thigh (or hand electric drill) method works just fine. 400 grit will wear down fast and not leave a too rough of finish. If just taking a thou out, probly 600 grit will do better if using a drill motor to drive it. Lee dies aren't near as hard as Lyman dies are, in my experience.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master
    I've honed out a bunch of dies, mostly Lyman/RCBS dies, and the heat treat isn't consistant from die to die, and I imagine LEE stuff is the same. Once or twice, I have gotten one so hard the sandpaper thing was taking forever. If you get one of these, heat it to a dull red, and let it air cool to remove the temper, it will hone easily then. Yes they will be softer, but I have a few done this way, and I will say it takes A LOT of lubricated lead boolits to produce any wear on one.

Have one of these to sharpen knives. http://smithsedge.com/products/product.asp?id=25&cid=4. Works great for opening up a sizer. 400 diamond grit with built in rod. Just roll it. Be sure to clean out any lube that might be in the sizer.
    Last edited by popper; 03-15-2012 at 03:50 PM.

That looks the goods popper (oops! almost put two o's in your name, lol)! I am going to the big hardware store tomorrow, I'll keep an eye out for something like that. Cost $7, probably cost me $12 to get it posted to here!
    Last edited by Four Fingers of Death; 03-16-2012 at 12:56 AM.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Grand Master

Normal two cutting edge drills do NOT drill round holes, they drill three-lobed holes.

If you want a round hole, you drill undersized, then ream, and then polish if you want
    a smooth finish.

Drilling is ONLY for rough material removal, NEVER for making a precision hole.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Please explain to me how a two cutting edge drill makes three-lobed holes. I've seen them do it time and time again, but don't have a clue how to explain it.

Boolit Master
    I have coated the sides of cast boolits with valve grinding compound and pushed them thorugh. 4 or 5 of them and just keep cyling them through the die. Clean things up and check it.

If it is not big enough, coat some more and push them through. Works well for me.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Quote Originally Posted by cabezaverde View Post
    I have coated the sides of cast boolits with valve grinding compound and pushed them thorugh. 4 or 5 of them and just keep cyling them through the die. Clean things up and check it.

If it is not big enough, coat some more and push them through. Works well for me.
    Thats pretty neat!

By the way that quote about 'a govt big enough, etc That was Davy Crockett that said that wasn't it?