Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: SAECO 411 Mold

Boolit Master

SAECO 411 Mold

Can anyone tell me about this mold? I looked on the Midway site and the REDDING site and hit numbers all around it, but not 411. Large .41 SWC. What boolit does it drop? Thanks for any info.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master
    Hey gbrown, I have one of those moulds that I bought from John Paul Jones several years ago. It resembles Elmer Keiths design of his swc boolits. Not a bad mould. Thinking about having mine hollow pointed though. I have not cast with it in a while, but I think it throws a 215 to 220 gr boolit, depending on alloy. As for history, I think John Paul told me he built these moulds himself, I think while he was employed by Redding/Saeco, if my memory serves correctly. He explained to me, at the time of purchase that he used meehanite metal to make them. I cant tell you what that is, unless it is some grade of steel. Hope this helps.
    My mother always said I was the Flower of the Family, The Blooming Idiot

Boolit Master

More info than I had before. Thanks for sharing it with me.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master
    if it is like the one I had it is a clone of the HG#258 --so said Mr Keith -- except they made the front driving band a little smaller-- I regret letting mine go--

Boolit Master

I cast about 600 of the #411 this weekend. For me it drops 228gr. and it is a sight to behold! I have the 4 cavity and can crank them out as long as my arm holds out! If you preheat this mould it will drop 4 perfect bullets from the second pour on, the only problem I have with it is that it gets very hot and frosts bullets fairly quickly and takes forever to cool down. I would buy it again, that is for sure. I have had this one for about 25 years.

The front driving band is not as big as the center or base, but it really does not seem to need to be, shoots very well. It has 1 very large squared off lube groove. I do not have a Star size die in 41, it is tough to get into and out of a Lyman die.

I can provide photos after I go back down south next weekend, if you would like me to.

BTW, this is one of 2 bullets that I cast for my 41's. The other is an LBT 230 WFNGC.

Matt

Boolit Master
    I have a 4 cav like yours and it will throw a lot of good boolits

Moderator Emeritus

I have a Saeco 411 four cav (manufactured in the mid 1980s).
    Boolits drop at 230gr and measure .412 with COWW alloy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Felt I should update this thread with a pic for reference. My bullet seems to have a more traditional somewhat rounded shank than the one pictured above. And a shorter rear driving band. Differences depending upon production dates?