Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quality of Lee Molds

Boolit Buddy

Lee 2-cavity and single-cavity molds are absolute trash*. All they do is cause the user frustration, and extra work.

But, if you're willing to deal with that frustration, they get the job done quite cheaply.

Lee 2C molds outnumber my other molds 2 to 1. They're trash, but they get the job done. Once you buy a real mold from another source (RCBS, Lyman, NOE, SAECO, etc), you'll understand.

*Seriously? The "C-word" for poop is filtered here, but bitch and rape (almost universally filtered elsewhere) are not?

Boolit Master

lee 2 cav molds

lee 2 cav molds are hit and miss, i just recieved 2 of them 2 weeks ago as i wanted to try the boolit type to see how i liked the boolit. one was 9mm tumble lube and the other was .358 round flat nose 125gr non tl 9mm worked perfect, the other was having trouble closeing. i casted with both, both casted good boolits after temp was rite. after casting i decided to look at that mold and try to figure out why it wasn't closeing properly. what i found was when i turned the mold up side down and looked at the blocks one was tilted on the handle, now there is some play between the mold block and the handle as you can move the blocks quite a bit. when i turned the mold rite side up the mold was binding against the handle pin preventing it from moving to line up with the other mold half. solution, took the bolt out of the handle, took the handle and clamped in my vise on my mill and with a grip plier twisted the mold handle just enough so the mold block would move freely to line up with other block half. works great now. that is easy enough fix for twenty bucks and not something i would tolerate on a mold costing five times as much. twenty bucks! it is what it is a mold that you may have to tinker with a bit but it does the job. now the six cavitiys work a lot better as they have a different pin system for opening and closeing, and can produce a pile of boolits in a short period of time. thats my 2 cents worth so i'll shut up now.

skimmerhead
    Cheap things are not good and Good Thing's Are Not Cheap

the worst part of getting old; is remembering when you were young

Boolit Master

To throw in my .02 I will say that while it's possible to get a perfectly usable Lee 2 cavity mould, there's also a good chance that it will either need some work to get it working good (see the posts about Leementing a mould), or every once in a while you'll get a mould that just won't work good no matter what you do.

If you're a new caster, and find that you can't seem to make good boolits, before throwing in the towel, and deciding that casting isn't for you, that you try another mould. Either just another Lee mould, or preferably a better mould, possibly a used NOE or Mihec mould from a member here being sold in the 'for sale' forum. If you still have trouble after using a few different moulds, THEN you can decide you don't like casting, but please don't jump to that conclusion after using only one Lee mould.
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelHollow View Post
    *Seriously? The "C-word" for poop is filtered here, but bitch and rape (almost universally filtered elsewhere) are not?
    Perhaps someone on the board may choose to chat about breeding their female dog, or perhaps someone might choose to try using rape seed oil as an ingredient in boolit lube, or perhaps someone might choose to discus the way that certain hunting lands in this country have been raped. I find those words to be useful in productive discussions.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post
    I use the Lee two cavity .30 cal 172 grain fp It is a virtual clone of the 311041.

Try it. You will like it.

I got a flyer from Midway today. They have a special on the Lee two bangers for 17.50.
    Natchez shooting supplies has them for$16.50 but they do charge$3.99 handling fee for every order but on big order you will save money their the cheapest prices on lee stuff i could find. I own alot of lee stuff good value stuff. I lightly tap the molds with my spru stick just to make sure their tightly closed.

Boolit Master
    What set of criteria did the OP use in selecting a mold manufacturer? I think that you get what you pay for, and I would certainly recommend the Lyman 311041 over the Lee mold, just from a frustration standpoint. I always end up with Lee mold parts at the bottom of my melt, or amongst my bullets.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by BAMB View Post
    Sounds like trying a lee mold might be worth a try.
    I only have one Lee mold so, I'm no expert. however...... worked fine from the first try

Boolit Buddy
    The last 2 Lee 6 cavity molds I bought both were shipped back because of pitting in the cavities after about 1000 rounds cast and what did Lee say? "weve never seen this before."

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jsu View Post
    Natchez shooting supplies has them for$16.50 but they do charge$3.99 handling fee for every order but on big order you will save money their the cheapest prices on lee stuff i could find. I own alot of lee stuff good value stuff. I lightly tap the molds with my spru stick just to make sure their tightly closed.
    Anything Midway sells can be had cheaper from other companies. I don't buy anything from them anymore!

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by sig2009 View Post
    The last 2 Lee 6 cavity molds I bought both were shipped back because of pitting in the cavities after about 1000 rounds cast and what did Lee say? "weve never seen this before."
    And neither had anyone else here. Can't really say it was Lee's problem without knowing what caused it. If it were a common problem we would have heard about it. I have 24 Lee moulds with more than 2000 casts on each one with no pitting.

Boolit Master

Thanks JIMinPHX I am sending a check for 4 bottles tomorrow. doctorggg

Boolit Master
    Lee molds work great follow the instruction that come with them and you will not have trouble. cast on! Joe

One more vote for Lee molds, from my beginner's perspective. I had immediate success (casting with a cast iron saucepan & soup ladle) with no personal instruction. Just followed the directions, including those in lee modern reloading 2nd Ed. Truth be told, it took me about 6 pour-n-drops to get full, clean boolits, but that was much faster than I expected. At the end of my self-taught reloading session, I had a few hundred awesome boolits for loading.

Maybe time will prove that the Lee molds do not hold up as long. I'm not there yet, but my success vs expense has gotten me highly enthusiastic about casting. I have already paid for the mold 4x over in boolits cast, so I bought a 20 lb Lee furnace. I have already paid for that about 2x with my newer, better castings so I went ahead and bought a few more 38/357 molds and a couple rifle molds. In the mail, $100.

Man, I used to spend that same amount of money on ammo in one weekend! Now I basically only spend money on primers, particularly with my ramshot competition plinking loads. Next step: make our own primers!

Boolit Buddy

Lee 6 cavity Ranch Dog 358-175 FP

Just got to use the 175 gr FP mold for the first time....... Cleaned with brake cleaner and Q tip. Dried it and lubed with Bull Plate and lubed cavities with Kroil. Heated mold on top of 10# Lee Bottom Pour Pot. Ran a 2nd Pot to melt lead to refill my Lee Pot. Then I ran my older 6 cav 358 Lee 150 gr. SWC..........Ran about 5 hrs non stop except to get a drink and p...I did water quench adding snow to help keep the water chilled.The new Ranch Dog 175 gr. ran flawlessly. I did lube the two block pins and spot where the sprue remover hits block........Really impressed with the quanity of action pistol and Marlin carbine bullets. While not bullseye match quality they were really nice for what I use them for.....used 64# of ingots for about 2700 bullets. Impressive to me my largest yield. Don't use my two cav. molds much anymore. afish4570

Boolit Master

+1

Quote Originally Posted by JIMinPHX View Post
    Perhaps someone on the board may choose to chat about breeding their female dog, or perhaps someone might choose to try using rape seed oil as an ingredient in boolit lube, or perhaps someone might choose to discus the way that certain hunting lands in this country have been raped. I find those words to be useful in productive discussions.
    +1 on that!

skimmerhead
    Cheap things are not good and Good Thing's Are Not Cheap

the worst part of getting old; is remembering when you were young

Quote Originally Posted by sig2009 View Post
    By chance, were you using acid core solder as a source of tin? Did you clean the mold with a caustic type grease remover?

edit: Were you casting with battery lead?
    Last edited by JIMinPHX; 03-07-2012 at 10:13 PM.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Buddy

I understand the reasoning for them not being filtered, even though 99% of the forums on the internet do block those two words. What I don't understand, is why the "c-word" for 'poop' is filtered here.

It's like allowing the word "garbage", but blocking "rubbish".

When I retired, I started casting bullets for sale on eBay. I used Lee six cavity molds. Several customers wanted 5000 a month. They commented that they were the most accurate bullet they ever used. That was the max of 45acp I could get into a flat rate box using reinforcement in the box because of the weight.

I did size and lube them in a Saeco lubrisizer.
    WORK TO LIVE, LIVE TO HUNT
    SHOOT ONCE, KILL CLEAN, APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Boolit Grand Master

I just bought mold #119 today. I visited the local gun shop to pick up a few pounds of SR4759 and saw an old lee box hidden in the corner of the shop. It was a 7mm - 130 single cavity Lee, which works out fine as I am putting together another 7BR handgun to play with. Long story short, I left the shop with it after paying $10.00. Got home and spritzed it with Kroil while the pot was heating up. Cast a couple of test boolits and they measured .286". Let the mold cool down then lee-mented it with the test boolits and Colgate just to remove any burrs. Went back out and cast about a hundred boolits.

There is no doubt that it is slower than a double, cavity, but the boolits have very little runout and I don't have to worry about any variations between cavities. The thing is that, being a single cavity I knew that it was made when Lee still gave a hoot about quality.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy
    By chance, were you using acid core solder as a source of tin? Did you clean the mold with a caustic type grease remover?

edit: Were you casting with battery lead?
    No solder or battery lead. Range lead only.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast