MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Savage 308 99F disgusting?

Perma-Banned

I have often thought that if I could only have one rifle it would be my 99f 300. A little VXIII 1.5x5 tops it off sweet.
    I have many of the finest rifles ever made and this little lever action is in my hand most every time I head out on the ranch. There has never been a faster handling, sweeter shooting rifle ever made. I don't know what this factor would be called but every time I send one downrange that makes a hole precisely where it is supposed to . Or every time it jumps up and a critter whacks the ground I just have to stop and smile in appreciation.

In Remembrance
    LOL I got mine in 75 or 6, and it will go to a son or grandson unless something unforseen happens. The only way it would be retired as in not my favorite rifle is, living here I would carry a 358 if I ever find an affordable one in a model 99. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    Idiots abound. If only there was a use for them.
    There is....we send them to D.C.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

California. Where absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good.
    My brother's daughter (a hunter) married a hunter. For their wedding present I gave them my Savage 99 in 308. Beth is left eye dominant and shoots lever guns left handed to make up for it. She got really proficient with a 94 trapper in 30-30. Now she is getting proficient in raising sons. I often say that I miss that 99 but I picked it up to give it to the kids. Maybe I just gave it away too soon like 30 years too soon.

In Remembrance
    LOL I happen to know a gal, whose father in law gifted her a 99, it seems funny that you would mention that. She lives in Oregon though.

Personally, I think you hit on the answer.
    I know people who've purchased a rifle in .223 or .308 and started shooting the cheapest 5.56 or 7.62 reloads or surplus military cartridges they can find, then complain about the rifle.
    Fortunately meeting those people provides great pricing on low use rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Westwindmike View Post
    Just start telling them it is chambered in the extremely rare "7.62 NATO" and see what they say about that.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    Idiots abound. If only there was a use for them.
    cannon fodder

trebuchet ammo

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbosman View Post
    Fortunately meeting those people provides great pricing on low use rifles.
    They are a pretty good source of free brass as well. I am the Rifle Captain at our club and all unwanted brass (mostly 22LRs) go into the box and are sold every now and then and the money used for new targets, whatever. I am pretty well fixed for brass, but check it out every range day. The most common brass I find is 243. I don't own a 243, but have dies, mould, sizer, 200 new cases and a thousand of so jacketed bullets,D'Oh! I am going to have to buy one. Every now and then we get a new reloader and I often present them with a quantity of brass to get them going. 223 is No2.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Grand Master

Fortunately meeting those people provides great pricing on low use rifles.-dbosman

Much like folks who put see-thru rings on leverguns with a bit of recoil. They're so glad to be rid of "that hard-kicking rifle".
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Fortunately meeting those people provides great pricing on low use rifles.-dbosman

Much like folks who put see-thru rings on leverguns with a bit of recoil. They're so glad to be rid of "that hard-kicking rifle".
    We had a guy at the range who talked incessantly but never listened to what anyone said. He had a 44Mag Marlin and didn't like the recoil, he was using factory loads. I told him to save his brass and that I would load him some that didn't kick so much. Didn't get any response.

A few weeks later another guy turned up at the range with it. He told me that he bought it at the local gunshop. He took me up on the offer and when he was in Sydney, picked up a bag of Starline 44Special brass. He also bought a loading press and dies, etc. I went to his place, showed him how to load (he did all the loading). He was at the range every week learning how to drive his new Marlin 1894 and his new press. He used the 44Mags that the other guy sold with the rifle for hunting. He loves the rifle and loves reloading for it, He uses commercial cast bullets at the moment, but is savng for a Pro melt, sizer and moulds.

One guy knew it all and gave away a rifle that was sound, the next guy was a good listener, now has the good rifle, feeds it for not much money and is about to embark on a new hobby, casting.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

The thing i like best about my 99 in 308 is at the range, brass hits the ground and i dont have to act like a dog looking for that lost piece of meat. .308 win is plentiful and shoots Cast Boolits Beautifully...
    High Hook

Banned

The 99E in .308 I posted a picture of earlier in the thread took a nice public land buck here on opening day for me with a Ranchdog bullet. The rifle may not drive tacks, but is plenty accurate enough for that game and has me convinced they are the best thing going for deer, at least the way and in the area I hunt.

Gonna get my .300 one in the game this year I hope. Also the .22 Highpower, but not until and unless I really don't need the venison, because that one will require a perfect shot for me.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boerrancher View Post
    I will second that notion. I am glad that most of the folks around here are into big caliber bolt guns and all forms of black guns. I will stick with my older calibers in lever guns and my front stuffers. It is not that I have anything against black guns and I even own one or two, but they just don't have the appeal to me that the older guns do.

Best wishes,

Joe
    Mostly I agree with that, though my BP arms are cartridge except for the Encore .50 barrel and the Ruger Old Army (which I've yet to shoot, too many guns - too little time). But I like the MSRs too. I have a CMC (Cossack's Motorcycle Club) party place not too far from me, it gives me peace of mind to have more than a few rounds at hand when a potential threat is 20 or 30 outlaw MC riders (or more).

But I love my 99s (.250, .300 and a .308 DL)
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pdawg_shooter View Post
    There is....we send them to D.C.
    That isn't a good use though, it costs us dearly.
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345