RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Savage 308 99F disgusting?

In Remembrance
    I never knew there was a cabellas there, I have been to the bass pro shop down in that country back a few years ago. Where is the cabellas.

In Remembrance
    I read a book 30 some odd years ago, about trapping in alaska.
    I don't remember the title or when it was printed, or even a lot of it's contents, but I do remember one line in it.

The author said a good rifle was a must, because of the bears, he suggested a model 99, 300 savage.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    I never knew there was a cabellas there, I have been to the bass pro shop down in that country back a few years ago. Where is the cabellas.

Fairly new store, west of Bass Pro on 170 @ I-35W. Just south of Texas Motor Speedway. Or borrow my car, it knows the way. Already has an empty rifle case in the trunk.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

In Remembrance
    I hope I won't be in the neighborhood for a good while yet. Is it like most cabellas with truck parking.

Boolit Grand Master

I hope I won't be in the neighborhood for a good while yet. Is it like most cabellas with truck parking.

Yes, first parking lot off 35W svc road. Give me a holler if you'll be around during a weekend. There's a good IHOP just S of there and I'd be up for a burger in the cafe upstairs @ Cabelas. Buffalo and Elk burgers pretty good.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    They are foolish people, with short peckers.
    Guilty!

I have a 99 in 284 Win. I want another 99. But it has to be either a 300 Savage or 250 Savage. I want one of the original Savage calibers. I would pass on a 308 unless I could get it very cheap, and then probably sell/trade it for the above. Just me.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    When I lived in Sydney some 20+ odd years ago, there was an old guy that came to the range (probably about the age I am now, lol). He owned two rifles, an old Brno 22 which he used to hunt rabbits and foxes with and a 308 Savage which he used for everything else. He used a mixture of cast and jacketed bullets. He used mostly cast, saving the jacketed bullets for hunting out west where the ground is flat and the paddocks big, he used to use 125 Gn Nosler Ballistic Tips and for Sambar (elk sized) he used 180 Gn SAKO bullets.

He didn't see a need for another rifle. but occasionally pulled out a fine old double barrel shotgun which was used on everything from rabbits to foxes to ducks and even the odd round of skeet.

He was a bit of an identity with his Savage and the tray of reloads with the cast boolits and sometimes paperpatched boolits.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Grand Master

I'm glad most folks don't much care for the guns I like. If they did I'd have to look longer and pay more.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    I'm glad most folks don't much care for the guns I like. If they did I'd have to look longer and pay more.
    I will second that notion. I am glad that most of the folks around here are into big caliber bolt guns and all forms of black guns. I will stick with my older calibers in lever guns and my front stuffers. It is not that I have anything against black guns and I even own one or two, but they just don't have the appeal to me that the older guns do.

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Buddy
    I just love my 99. it was a .308. Had it rebored to .358, 16 twist. My favourite bush gun.

Bought a used 99 in 308 specifically to have it rebored to .338Federal. I really should send it off. Got the dies. The RD mold. The brass. The gas checks. And now I got a week off and round tuit to spare. It's time.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Bought a used 99 in 308 specifically to have it rebored to .338Federal. I really should send it off. Got the dies. The RD mold. The brass. The gas checks. And now I got a week off and round tuit to spare. It's time.
    I have thought for a while that that would make a fine rifle.

I was reading a book of hunting stories in alaska last might, where a guy got a goat at 300 yards with an old lever action action 300 savage. I didn't mention model, but it had to be a 99.

I used my Savage 99 in 358 for Coastal Mountain hunting in Oregon - good out to 250 yards and one shot kill every time.

I should look for one in 308 to go with it, being I have so many 30 caliber molds now.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    I used my Savage 99 in 358 for Coastal Mountain hunting in Oregon - good out to 250 yards and one shot kill every time.

I should look for one in 308 to go with it, being I have so many 30 caliber molds now.
    I have used much flimsier pretexts than this to justify gun purchases for a long time.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    I have used much flimsier pretexts than this to justify gun purchases for a long time.
    More truth in that statement than any 6 political speeches. I plead guilty.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

In Remembrance
    I generally don't have to justify them, but 30 some odd years ago on my first anniversary I came home with a 10/22. This would not have been a big deal, but I had already bought a 44 and a 44 ruger carbine that week, sooo being pretty sharp I announced , this one is yours. All these years later she still believes that is her gun. lol
    Now last week I sorta made the same mistake. I walked in with a 357, she knows I have never shot 357's so, I get the what is that for. Again being the sharp guy I am, I said it will be easier for you to handle, sho nuff she thinks it is hers. I started out with it the next day, and got the, where do you think you are going with my gun, it doesn't even get to live in the same place as mine. lol

What ever you do, DO NOT justify a firearm purchase by saying, this one is for you. lol

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I once got a rifle in exchange for an agreement to reload for a guy I worked with at Long Bay Jail. I loaded him a batch or working up loads, handed them over with instructions on what to do, how to keep the various groups of five rounds at each powder level separate so I could see any pressure indicators and even gave him a ruled up sheet to record the groups with and also a couple of targets with multiple bullseyes and the load printed on each bull, etc. He was stoked and bought the rifle in next day and we shook on it. I took the rifle home and my wife was there when I got home and I proudly showed her the rifle and described how I was going to load ammo for the guy who gave it to me. My wife was suitably impressed and the gun went in the wardrobe in the bedroom.

Funnily enough, I never clapped eyes on the guy again. There were a lot of us working there then and what with rotating shifts, leave, etc it wasn't unusual to not see people for long periods. I eventually forgot about it.

Some time later, I bought another rifle and took it home. My wife was chatting over coffee with one of the neighbours and I had to walk past them with the rifle. SO I walked in like it was the most natural thing in the world to come home with a new (to me) rifle. I said hello and gave the wife a kiss as I went past and my wife said proudly " been loading ammo again?" Welllllllllll, I knew what she meant, but that was not what she asked, so I truthfully stated 'yep, always out in the garage on the loading press.' She then proudly told her friend how clever I was loading ammo in exchange for the rifles. I didn't tell any lies, but she didn't structure her question correctly, haha.

Next day at work I asked about the guy that I had loaded the ammo for, I had completely forgotten about him. I was told that he has secured a transfer to a jail in the country. I then remembered him talking about wanting to move out west. I rang the jail he had transferred to and they said that he had resigned and joined the Northern Territory prison service, thousands of miles away.

Cheapest rifle I ever got. That was in 1985, If he bobs up again, I will honour the deal, but I don't expect him to bob up in a hurry.
    Last edited by Four Fingers of Death; 05-19-2013 at 04:07 AM. Reason: spilling mistooks
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5 mike View Post
    I'ld be happy as a dead pig in the sunshine to find a 99 in .308, for the right price.
    I'd be happier to find one in the Model 99A version that they were selling about 20 years ago or thereabouts. The one with the schnabel forearm and straight grip. That one looked like a classic. I think they made them in a couple of other calibers, too--but 300 Savage may not have been one of them.

The biggest problem I see you might have with that M99, is you may never want to tote a bolt action afield again. lol
    You have a point, but some of us lefties wouldn't mind--as long as the safety was up on the tang and not down on the lever. The latter configuration isn't quite as ambidexterous.

In Remembrance
    Mine has the safety on the lever, and I have never minded it (lefty) It also is the takedown model with the schnabel forearm. It didn't start life out as a 300 though. the caliber has been X'd out and re stamped sometimes years ago. Probably was originally a 30/30.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast