WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Savage 308 99F disgusting?

In Remembrance
    The biggest problem I see you might have with that M99, is you may never want to tote a bolt action afield again. lol

Boolit Grand Master

I also suspect it's had a trigger job because the pull on it is marvelous. I haven't fired any other 99's to compare it to, but it's pretty slick.

Enjoy your Savage and p*** on the naysayers. -Mykos

Dunno, possibly not. Handled a few slick ones but haven't been lucky enough to be in the right place, right time with the wherewithal to purchase one I want. I've handled some very nice ones but they all seem pretty good.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    The biggest problem I see you might have with that M99, is you may never want to tote a bolt action afield again. lol

I have a Marlin or two stirring that pot already. A 99 is welcome at this party.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

In Remembrance
    Mine has been in my possession since 74 and is a 300 not a 308.
    It was a tool when I got it, with zero collector value, that is fine by me.
    While not a 308, it seems to kill stuff just as dead, and at the distances I shoot, the only thing the 308 would have on it is the brass and ,or ammo availability.

I have a marlin and a win, but the savage has been my main tool seems like forever, but I like them all. lol

Boolit Master

savage 99f

Waksupi, I did not expect this many replies when I posted this thread. I want to thank you for your concise, creative reply. Perhaps I should point out that in addition to a Savage 99F 308 I also have a short pecker. The VA says it is due to exposure to agent orange and pays me a monthly stipend for " ioss of use of creative organ". I spend the money on molds, brass, etc and a 308 Savage 99F.

Boolit Master
    I have owned a pile of Savage lever guns in my life, and the F .308 was the only one I was glad to get rid of. The bugger kicked like an army mule with factory ammo (which is also precisely why I never lusted after a 99 in .358 too). But that is just personal preference- they are fine rifles and I would never look down on one. Personally, I'll stick with my hundred year old .303's, .30/30's, and .22 HiPowers. Anybody who can lead me to a .32/40, I'll be your slave for life!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gnoahhh View Post
    I have owned a pile of Savage lever guns in my life, and the F .308 was the only one I was glad to get rid of. The bugger kicked like an army mule with factory ammo (which is also precisely why I never lusted after a 99 in .358 too). But that is just personal preference- they are fine rifles and I would never look down on one. Personally, I'll stick with my hundred year old .303's, .30/30's, and .22 HiPowers. Anybody who can lead me to a .32/40, I'll be your slave for life!
    Gary, you gotta quit talking like that, I've almost got myself talked out of buying that .303 one I saw the other day, LOL.

My .308 is no featherweight, and was comfortable to shoot off a bench with Federal factory 150s and my cast loads. I'm really enjoying the 99s, great rifles and I sure wish they were still available new in some way, shape or form.

Boolit Master
    Rich- never talk yourself out of buying any Savage lever gun you have even the remotest use for! It leads to nightmares and trips to the shrink's couch! Guys who shoot Savage lever guns are admired by all dogs, tend to be prosperous, and have beautiful strange women buy them drinks in bars. 'S truth!

In Remembrance
    I have a funny story about a savage. People definitely remembers them.
    I ran out of gas close to the town of post tx in the 70'son a sunday evening and caught a ride into town. I walked from one end of town to the other trying to find a station that would take me and 5 gallons of gas back to my pickup, with no luck. I walked back until I got to the last station, the first one I had been too, and the young man was in the process of closing up and agreed to run me out to get my pickup.
    My old 300 was hanging on the rack in the window, and this kid tried to get me to sell it.
    I followed him back to town, where he opened up so I could fill my tank, all the while making offers on my rifle.
    Several years later in a different pickup I happened to stop in post to eat.
    The guy just happened to be in there and remembered my rifle, he came over and asked if I still had it and was I ready to sell it yet. lol

Boolit Master

Of all the guns I have to deer hunt with, when I get down right serious about going out and killing a deer, I grab my Mod 99 300 sav. I have won a few dollars with it on bets at the local range from guys who turned up their nose at an old junk lever gun and swore it couldn't shoot as good as their high dollar bolt guns. It will put the first three rounds in one hole every time at 100 yards. It is nothing to drive out the thumb tacks that hold up the targets. I don't know how many times I have gone out and put up a blank piece of paper, shot a hole in the center of it and used the bullet hole as the target to shoot the rest of the one ragged hole group, 3 shots and let it cool for 5 min and fire the other two for a 5 shot group that is smaller than a dime at 100 yards.

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boerrancher View Post
    Of all the guns I have to deer hunt with, when I get down right serious about going out and killing a deer, I grab my Mod 99 300 sav. I have won a few dollars with it on bets at the local range from guys who turned up their nose at an old junk lever gun and swore it couldn't shoot as good as their high dollar bolt guns. It will put the first three rounds in one hole every time at 100 yards. It is nothing to drive out the thumb tacks that hold up the targets. I don't know how many times I have gone out and put up a blank piece of paper, shot a hole in the center of it and used the bullet hole as the target to shoot the rest of the one ragged hole group, 3 shots and let it cool for 5 min and fire the other two for a 5 shot group that is smaller than a dime at 100 yards.

Best wishes,

Joe
    Seriously good performance, you don't need anything more, that rifle will keep the freezer full.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    Seriously good performance, you don't need anything more, that rifle will keep the freezer full.
    That Mod 99 300 is the standard that I judge all of my other high powered rifles by. I bought that gun for $200 back in 1990, at the urging of my all things gun related mentor. He told me that if I didn't like it he would give me $400 for it, as he was a 99 collector. Since I had largely grown up in his basement as he and dad built custom rifles, I guess he figured he knew me well enough to know I would like it. I bought the rifle and have never looked back. Even before good condition 99s were bringing 4 digits, I was offered in the 4 digits several times for that rifle. It is one of those guns that I will still have have until Just before I die. I will pass it on to which ever one of my kids takes the greatest interest in it.

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

In Remembrance
    My 99 was a gift from my uncle, but in the early 70's he paid 100 bucks for it with a 4 power jana scope on it. At least I believe that was the scope brand, it gave up the ghost years ago.

The gun was supposedly built in 1932, I would be curious as to how much a new one cost back then.

I stopped by sportsmans on my way back from the Ron Paul rally and just for chits and grins priced 300 savage ammo. 34.95 a box, so three boxes today would cover the purchase price in the 70's, and I bet you 2 boxes would have covered it when it was new. lol

Vendor Sponsor
    Ric,

We must be pc. Those people have really big trucks!

Banned

Here's my most recently acquired one at it's first real range trip yesterday.

Boolit Grand Master

Saw three decent 99's at my local Cabelas tonight; a .308, 30-30 (99A) and a 300. All decent shape. I was in a funk, distracted by other matters, etc. No excuse. One of them should have been in my safe tonight. Took my shoes off as soon as I got home so the kicks wouldn't hurt as much.

In Remembrance
    TXGunNut have they built a cabellas in texas, or are you somewhere else.

Banned

There's one in Fort Worth, I believe.

Your F is a fine rifle I would be proud to own. I'll go out on a limb here and state there are too many of us caught up in this collector thing. I really enjoy when I get a real clean top notch used rifle cheap because it was once drilled and tapped, my pristine Lee Enfield No.5 as example. I'm even happier when it has been refinished and even cheaper!

When folks turn their noses up on a classic Savage 99, in fine shape, because it is chambered in one of the finest 30 caliber cartridges invented you gotta wonder whats going on. It is a superb rifleman's gun.

I've been drooling over getting a 308 99 someday in the C model. A receiver sight, replaceable mag, and nice pieces of walnut makes my idea of a tactical lever, a lever action Jungle Carbine!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    TXGunNut have they built a cabellas in texas, or are you somewhere else.

I'm about 30 minutes from the Ft Worth store. If I don't come in every couple of weeks they send someone by the house to check on me.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast