Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Savage 308 99F disgusting?

Boolit Grand Master

Just tell them it's a 303 Savage "improved" and be super secretive about it, if you even care to have those kind hang around.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range

99f

ALL the postwar II 99-F's will have rotary mags...condition equal, those with serial # below 1,000,000..(safety by lever, cut checkering )will bring premium over later make.. 300 sav.,308 W.and 243 w. will be less $ than 250/3000. 284 W. & 358 W. High conditon rifles in the latter three are commonly four digit sales nowadays..But Hell,the last Win 88 in 358 W I saw sell got $2800... Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by olafhardt View Post
    I bought a Savage 99 F in 308 win. I personally think this is one of the slickest most useful rifles I have ever seen. However I have noticed that a lot of guys get excited about it until I tell them "It's a 308". then they get disgusted and leave. Why?

Who cares? It's your gun and you like it that's what matters most.

Larry

Boolit Grand Master
    What Waksupi said, with malice aforethought. That was funny, right there!

Any Savage 99 variant chambered in 308 Win is a very useful, flexible game rifle that has classy looks and design elements WAY ahead of its time. The reason the collector fascists lose interest is because they aren't as likely to screw over another fascist or rube with the more common and useful calibers. That lot can go pound sand.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    I'm on my 4th Savage 99 308, and it is at a custom shop getting the full load custom build.
    I ma getting very anxious to get it back. I haven't had hands on it for 5 years now
    They're fine rifles, and some folks think they are trash, but the last on I saw in a pawn shop here had a 595$ price tag on it. Lots of money for a "junk" rifle.
    Obviously the nay sayers have never carried one in the woods, I rarely use a sling on mine, it feels so good and comfortable in the hands, and is always ready, unlike being slung over your shoulder. I like the strange looks I get carrying it on the prairie hunting antelope
    Last edited by Jim Flinchbaugh; 03-03-2012 at 04:45 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    They are foolish people, with short peckers.
    I resemble that remark !
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Buddy
    I really like my 99 in .308, it is my understanding that the .308 was developed from the 300 Savage. I have made a lot of 300 Savage cases from .308.

the savage 99 F (feather weight) is the only 99 that will hit you with full felt recoil in 308. and that is the only reason I never cared for the one I had but its still a great gun.
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Boolit Master

Wink

I'ld be happy as a dead pig in the sunshine to find a 99 in .308, for the right price.
    Gun control 1ST ROUND ON TARGET.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5 mike View Post
    I'ld be happy as a dead pig in the sunshine to find a 99 in .308, for the right price.

Pretty sure that would be my first choice most days. 300 Savage would be more fun, tho.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5 mike View Post
    Ah yes, they have 12" twists....great for cast

Larry Gibson

Banned

I just put my first cast through my 99E in .308 this afternoon and am very happy with the results. Not a tack driver, but way better than enough for deer hunting. Load was the 31141 and 32 graions of IMR4895. I think if I had let the barrel cool between shots it would have done better.

ANytime anymore I find a 99 under about $500, I am going to give it hard consideration. I'm not letting go of the three I have and this newest .308 one is growing on me fast.

Boolit Master
    My first was a 300 Sav.then came the 308 Win and last was a 30-30.They all have the safety at the lever and they will shoot jacketed and cast just fine.
    I have shot a deer with the 300 but not with the others.....Yet.
    Now work continues on cast loads with the other 2 and I have high hopes they will get the call for deer hunting in the next couple of years.

Boolit Grand Master
    Bret & waksupi speak wisdom. I don't have a 99, but I do have a Mod 88 Winchester (lever .308) that kind of looks like a 99 -- sort of -- and it is the very best of hunting rifles. I took a Rem 700 .308 to Africa as my one & only and everything I looked at died with one shot. DRT!!! Well, except the warthog. It ran about 40 yards. Let others scoff at the .308 and you just smile with the higher knowledge & satisfaction of what a great cartridge you have there. When somebody is making a fool out of themselves, get out of the way and let 'em at it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rond View Post
    I really like my 99 in .308, it is my understanding that the .308 was developed from the 300 Savage. I have made a lot of 300 Savage cases from .308.
    Found one of those in a batch of .300 cases. Guy forgot to trim the case - sure did stand out - longest neck I've ever seen on a .308!

Ed

Moderator Emeritus

I put my BLR in 308 in the same category. Good shooters that are not liked by "purists". Enjoy how it shoots and handles.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I have a Savage 99C in .308. It had been cut and crowned at 19" sometime in it's previous life, the rear sight removed and filled with a blank. With that and the detachable magazine most of the Savage snobs find it downright detestable.

It's a super sweet short and handy shooting machine in my books. I picked it up for a song and it came with a lower end scope a pile of brass and a box of ammo. I also suspect it's had a trigger job because the pull on it is marvelous. I haven't fired any other 99's to compare it to, but it's pretty slick.

Enjoy your Savage and p*** on the naysayers.
    Last edited by Mykos; 03-03-2012 at 10:44 PM.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    Idiots abound. If only there was a use for them.
    zombie bait?

democratic national comittee?

Would sure like to know who lifted the 99 out of the hall closet after Dad passed,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    Idiots abound. If only there was a use for them.
    Soylent Green.

My only .308 is a Savage 99F. I got it from a guy at work that stuck it behind his furnace in the 60s and left it there. It was as close to NIB as you can get. So far it's trash canned 2 medium sized bucks like the hammer of thor. The first one weighed 150 lbs dressed. I put a 180 round nosed corelokt through him end to end.
    I lent it out to my friend's son 3 seasons ago. He put a hurting on a couple deer with it and promptly went and bought a 99 in .300 savage. He searched long and hard to find a very good rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    The 308s are commonly available (well, reasonably common anyway) and would probably be one of the first rifles a Savage collector may have purchased. You probably find thet lose interest because most would have one and it is probably their go to gun that protects the safe queens.

I don't own any Savages, but have a swag of 308s. I am rather fond of the cartridge as I carried a 7.62 FN/FAL- SLR in my younger days, when I was a part time Government Gunman (soldier). The 308 is an uncommonly useful, but under appreciated cartridge. Fom plinking to sniper, it will do it all (and has done).

Off the top of my head my 308s: T/C Encore, No4 Mk1 Lithgow Conversion, Israeli Mauser (BRNO), Remington 7600 Police, Remington 700SPS Tactical, Omark44 Target rifle, 2x M17Eddystone based Target Rifles (there is probably one or two more in there that I can't remember). Heck, I need a Savage and maybe a Browning to round it off!
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast