Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Lee 250 gr Mold in 38-55

Lee 250 gr Mold in 38-55

Those of you that have a 38-55 and haven't tried the 250 gr Lee bullet, it looks good. Just cast about 300 today and haven't tried them out yet. About $20 for a mold is a steal compared to how well it looks.

NRA Patron Member

Kids Are For People That Can't Have Dogs

Boolit Master

You may be surprised how well it will shoot.
    Gun control 1ST ROUND ON TARGET.

Boolit Grand Master

Looks good, indeed. I wonder if my 375 Big Bore will like it.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

I'm just hopping the length of the Winchester brass and where I have to crimp this bullet will work in the chamber of that Legendary Frontiersmen I have coming.
    NRA Patron Member

Boolit Master
    It should work fine. It's us with the old ones that slug .380+ that have most of the grief with these. Whatever brass you choose, make sure the brass is trimmed to the same OAL. I also crimp in a separate step after seating the boolit. Same trim on all makes for better seating and crimps more uniform. I have brass from Canada, Imperial brand that runs all the way up to 2.118. The new old stock Winchester I have runs around 2.085. Think all of my brass will be trimmed to that to make things uniform. If I buy brass again, will be Starline as several have recommended here. Have test loads ready to fire for mine, should get to fire some and run through the chrono next week or two. My old Lyman single cavity mold ( 375296 ) 265 gr. is running almost spot on for weight and looks like the twin to yours except mine has the step at the base for a gas check. Loading with gas checks, and starting with 28gr. of 3031 and working up from there. High expectations for this one, hope it turns out well.
    Chris

Starline was what I originally wanted and got on their list of those to call when it ever is available...also on Starline's list. A forum member had some for sale and I bought three bags of 50. Starline offers two sizes with the 2.085 being one and another slightly longer...2.125", I believe.

I wanted to try H4198, 4895 and 3031 but it's in the Twilight Zone for now. I'll probably end up with one of Accurate Mold's mold for this caliber. Tom does a superb job with all he's made for me before. One of the ones he offers for this caliber is 38-250B and is real close to the Lee mold.
    NRA Patron Member

I shoot that boolit in .38-55 with black powder and smokeless. Have also shot it in a 375 big bore at 38-55 speeds with 2400 and 3031. Fed and shot great. One of these years I am going to shoot a deer with the bp load out of my high wall.

Super Moderator

.............I've had that mould a few years. The slugs drop a tad over .380". They shoot very well indeed from both my old Marlin M93 and a Uberti Hi-Wall clone. For simple and cheap shooting they sure as heck do the job using only 10.0grs of Unique. Many other loads out there work but it's hard to beat for cheap shooting!

The slugs in the photo are seated to engrave in the Uberti (one on the right is engraved). For the Marlin simply seat to the crimp groove. Crimp, and away you go!

............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master

Makes a good pp'ed core in both the 38-55 & 375 w-w.
    Gun control 1ST ROUND ON TARGET.

Vendor Sponsor
    I didn't like the bevel base so I took a hint from Veral Smith and using a fine tip sharp pocket knife I reamed the bevel off of the base of the mould. Now I have a nice plain base arrangement that looks fine and doesn't muck up my lubrisizer.