Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Wideners
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Savage 308 99F disgusting?

Boolit Master

Savage 308 99F disgusting?

I bought a Savage 99 F in 308 win. I personally think this is one of the slickest most useful rifles I have ever seen. However I have noticed that a lot of guys get excited about it until I tell them "It's a 308". then they get disgusted and leave. Why?

Boolit Master
    they're challenged...

Rich

olafhardt,
    I think it is because the 308 Winchester is not one of the more intersting or rare calibers. It doesn't seem to capture the interest like a the old 22 High Power, 250 or 300 Savage. Newer cartridges for the Savage 99 like the 284 or 358 Winchesters seem to get a lot of interest too.
    One of my favorite and "go to" guns is a Savage 99 A in 308 Winchester. I have carried and shot this gun alot over the years.
    jmsj

There's not wrong with that setup, .308 in that gun makes it a great brush gun Imo.
    Life's hard, even harder if your stupid.

Boolit Grand Master

You have a great gun chambered for a proven cartridge. Don't worry about the other guys.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    They are foolish people, with short peckers.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post

Ha ha ha ha ha!
    Life's hard, even harder if your stupid.

Boolit Master
    Ever the politician...

I shot my first wild Hog with a Savage 99 in 308 back in 1974 in Tenn. I used a 180 grain Nosler partition bullet. One shot through the shoulder and he was down for the count. Great gun. Don't know why I didn't keep it. My brother was hunting with me and he was carring a Winchester lever action in 348. He shot one that was running at him and if I remember right it took him three shots to put his down. Anyway be proud of your gun. It will get the job done.

Boolit Master

There is nothing wrong with a Mod99 in a 308. I would agree with jmsj that because they made millions of the 308's they are not a rarity, same with the .243 chamberings. You have a rifle suited to hunt anything in New World. Anyone who doesn't recognize the possibilities and potential of a Mod 99, 308, is as Waksupi stated.

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Banned

I have three 99s, a .250 of relatively recent manufacture, a 1950 or so one in .300 and a .308 E Model I am worikg with now in .308. I love them all, the .308 is one of the very best "do all" cartridges there is, and the 99 is an awsome gun. Some purists would prefer one of the classic cartridges, and that's fine too.

I wish I had grabbed every cheap 99 I saw at gunshows a few years ago, they really seem to have risen in collectability in recent years.

In Remebrance

Idiots abound. If only there was a use for them.

Banned

Savage did make a few with detachable mags towards the end and I really do not like them, the rotary magazine was one of the 99s best features.

Have you dissassembled your rifle yet? They are marvelous things, amazing how simple and yet how strong and well manufactured the parts are. Considering they are contemporary designs with the '94 Winchester, they were truly ahead of their time. The .308 I own is looking to become my primary deer rifle now, but I'd love to have one in .303 Savage and maybe some of the other classic calibers. I seem to find ten or more in .300 Savage for every one other caliber, but the .300 is a very good cartridge and can do most of what you'd ever need a hunting rifle to do.

a number of years ago I had a 99F in .308. I got it used, and someone had taken the iron sights off before mounting a scope. It wasn't a great grouper, but it killed deer like any .308 does. I traded it off, but if another came my way, I wouldn't scoff at it. Those are pretty light weight for a Savage levergun, even with a scope.

I took a drink of coffee before I read that. It came out my nose and all over the keyboard.
    Still giggling
    "Some times it's just better to smile an walk away."

"Think ya used enough dynamite there, Butch?"
    -Butch Cassidy & the Sun-dance Kid

Boolit Grand Master

Not going to speculate about anyone's barrel length but the more obscure calibers are more interesting to collectors. There's a reason why the .308, .243 and .300 Savage are easier to find, they were (and are) more popular. Savage is a fine rifle in any chambering, the .308 is an excellent choice for a shooter.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

The Savage 99 in 308 is an extremely usable and flexible rifle. For the reloader, a 308 is the gun for any occasion. With a 150 grain jacketed bullet: full power (factory load) at 2800 fps. Drop down to 2700 fps and you have original 30-06 performance. Drop to 2600 fps and you have a duplicate to the 300 Savage. Drop to 2400 fps and you match the 30-30. Use cast boolits at 1600 to 1800 fps and you have a very accurate and useful load. My 99 shoots both 150 and 173 gr. lead boolits very good. Anyone that tells you a Savage 99 in 308 win. is a lesser rifle is just plain wrong, or jealous. My 99 has a steel butt plate so I shoot mostly 30-30 level cartridges to control recoil. When I go to the range I shoot 100 to 200 cartridges so recoil is an issue with me. To top it all off, 308 brass is easy to get an there are many good powders for it to use. I expecially like H4895 for both heavy and light loads. H4895 is very flexible and can be safely reduced down to 60% of a full power load for light loads (per the Hodgdon web site). Unique, 2400, Red Dot, and H4895 are all good for lead boolits. Everything to like and nothing to dislike. Don't listen to the critics and just enjoy your rifle.
    Last edited by Hurricane; 03-03-2012 at 11:10 AM.

Boolit Buddy

Just start telling them it is chambered in the extremely rare "7.62 NATO" and see what they say about that.
    Will Fly For Boolits

Boolit Master

I have a Savage 99C in .308,,,,,easy to carry in the field, and accurate with cast or J....what more could you ask for?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by olafhardt View Post
    I bought a Savage 99 F in 308 win. I personally think this is one of the slickest most useful rifles I have ever seen. However I have noticed that a lot of guys get excited about it until I tell them "It's a 308". then they get disgusted and leave. Why?
    You are probably speaking to purists who believe that Savage bastardized a "fine rifle" when they turned it into a detachable magazine. They believe for it to be a "real" M99 it has to have the rotary magazine. I like the lines of the old one better. No gaping hole in the bottom. But the clip fed version makes a lot more sense. You can only run shells thru that rotary magazine so many times to load and un-load it before the casing get completely chewed up.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast