Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad Data
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 202gr 7.62x54r, H4831 vs. H4895 starting load?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by res45 View Post
    Still developing the load for my 91/30 so this is not a final but it may turn out to be a good load anyways if it's repeatable. I shot this 5 shot test load over the weekend using my Accurate 215 gr. FN bullet sized to .314" LARS 2500+ lube and Gator gas checks. No velocity reading yet but next time I'm out in a couple weeks I get the chrono out.

I like that boolit! Which bullet number is it? Does it feed smoothly from the magazine?
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by historicfirearms View Post
    I like that boolit! Which bullet number is it? Does it feed smoothly from the magazine?
    It feeds with no Issues, I had the mold sized up to .315" so I could size it back down to .314" It's also a long bullet and can bend easy in a lube sizer with too much force cast from a soft alloy so when I cast it from softer alloys and PC I allow it to air cool and run it through the Lee .314" push through sizer. It also want fit in my M44 as the throat is not deep enough, for that I just use the Lee 185 gr. RN.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=31-215B-D.png

Boolit Master
    My favorite Mosin cast boolit load is the 314299 over around 16 grains of 2400 powder.. Fun fun fun to shoot. You can shoot all afternoon without a sore shoulder.

My only issue is that often Mosin chamber necks are quite tight and the bores are not. This means neck turning brass to avoid chambering issues.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by truckjohn View Post
    My only issue is that often Mosin chamber necks are quite tight and the bores are not. This means neck turning brass to avoid chambering issues.
    I've run in to this with my 91/30.
    Bore slugs at .315", I use NOE 316-213RN, his version of the 316299, sized 316. By the time I stuff that fat boolit in, the necks of some brass is too thick to allow chambering.

Turns out, the chambers are spec'd at .338". I have to turn brass to .010 thick. That leaves me.002" clearance for expansion.

For some reason, Winchester brass is a particular offender, being very thick-walled in the neck. PPU and S&B brass can sometimes be run without turning, at least for casual shooting.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by res45 View Post
    Still developing the load for my 91/30 so this is not a final but it may turn out to be a good load anyways if it's repeatable. I shot this 5 shot test load over the weekend using my Accurate 215 gr. FN bullet sized to .314" LARS 2500+ lube and Gator gas checks. No velocity reading yet but next time I'm out in a couple weeks I get the chrono out.

Larry does that look familiar? 215B Lots of people really like that one. I think Tom owes me a free mold.

Guys. This was made for the Mosin. Look how the crimp grove in placed and where the gas check is still in the neck. It should still seat into the rifling if you have a fairly decent throat and still have plenty of bullet in the neck. If you have a really good throat then it will seat exactly at the crimp grove like I made it.

My rifle at the time still had reamer marks in the throat. It was shot but not a lot. I did a couple of pound cast and took avg of them to come up with this.

It does not like to be driven hard. I sent it to Larry to have him try to see how fast he could get it to go. It just did not like to go fast . But it does not need to. It was not made to.
    Last edited by tomme boy; 02-07-2019 at 12:07 AM.

tomme boy, It's a great bullet in my old but like new M91/30. I remember when you first posted about the bullet and had Larry do some testing with it and it was just what I was looking for at the ranges I shoot an hunt at around here which amounts to about 100 yds.

It was about a year after that when I got my mold and I had Tom cut mine a little larger in diameter for my particular rifle, I wish it would fit in my M44 as well but it has a much shorter throat so it want chamber but the Lee 185 gr. RN works fine for it. I hope to do more testing this spring as I have a little more room powder wise to work with, I gave my brother a handful to try out in his Vepr in 54r.
    Last edited by res45; 02-09-2019 at 04:43 PM.

In my Finn M39 I got real nice results using 35-36 grains of Winchester 748 over a Lyman 314299 bullet, powder coated and gas checked, sized to .314. Other good results were achieved using 35 grains of IMR4895, and 40 grains of Winchester 760.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12