Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .38 wadcutter alloy

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bmortell View Post
    when I tried pure lead 38 wadcutters in a snub they were skidding/smearing rifling, idk whats the proper term. I went to 2% antimony and water dropped. for something not meant for expanding on game I don't worry much about tin, if it casts ok then its good enough.
    Antimony makes your alloy harder, tin makes it cast better. Regardless of what else is in your pot, a little tin is usually a good idea. I used pure lead to pure tin at a 25:1 ratio for my Schuetzen bullets with excellent results. For pistols and especially revolvers, I like old COWWs with just a % or two of tin to make them cast better. Lately range scrap is getting more attractive, and I can just cast it as is or add a touch of tin to make the bullets fill out better.

Your smearing and skidding experience is more likely a function of sizing rather than anything else in pistols and revolvers. You should begin by sizing your bullets a bit over groove diameter (say .001") and lube properly and your leading problems will probably go away if your barrel is any good at all. Harder (or softer) won't make all that much difference at handgun velocities if size is right.

Froggie

PS Swaged HBWCs are just about pure lead, and I've shot many thousands of those through my 38 revolvers without any significant leading. Again, the size of the bullet is the thing.
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Your smearing and skidding experience is more likely a function of sizing rather than anything else in pistols and revolvers. You should begin by sizing your bullets a bit over groove diameter (say .001") and lube properly and your leading problems will probably go away if your barrel is any good at all. Harder (or softer) won't make all that much difference at handgun velocities if size is right.
    I actually dont own a size die in 38 cal, so i cant be sizing wrong. I was just using lee wadcutter as is tumble lubed, i just mic'd them at .3594, i use a 2" model 60, its happy with everything else, but soft wadcutters are all sideways by 7 yds with big smeared rifling grooves on the boolits. Just standard load and clean barrel. Maybe wadcutters dont like me as much as i like them.

Banned
    To help clarify

"Lino, 1Pound =(BHN22) + Pure Lead 1#Pound =(BHN5) ------ (Total BHN)/ TotalPounds = EstBHN"

Lino # of Pounds x (BHN22)+Lead # of Pounds x(BHN5) = total BHN / Total # of Pounds = EstBHN

1# lino to 4# pure= (1x22) + (4x5) = 22+20 = 42 BHN / 1#+4# = #5. 42/5= 8.4 BHN
    Last edited by Conditor22; 06-15-2019 at 02:56 PM.

I ran countless 1000's of cast h&g #50 wc's cast out of 8bhn/9bhn alloy & lubed in the bottom 2 lube grooves only for decades. Same for the 45acp/h&g #68's, 8bhn/9bhn. The #50 wc's were sized to .358" and the 68's were sized to .452". Both were lubed with the nra 50/50 back then.

If it was me I'd go with a 1 to 5 lino/lead alloy and try them air cooled (+/- 8bhn). If they need to be a little harder simply water drop them to bring them up to +/- 11bhn.

Boolit Master

Just asking but why only lube 2 of the lube grooves and not all 3
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

I load a lot of these. I use soft lead with a little tin mostly. This has become one of my favorite rounds. I load it light so I can shoot as much as I desire when I go to the range. They shoot good groups. The ladies like them to as they have a very mild recoil. Now I also have some that I load for my 357 and I push them at the upper end. I use 50/50 ww/soft lead for them and they work just fine. All depends on how you want to load them. Both of these loads shoot for me good out to 50 yards.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Forrest r View Post
    I ran countless 1000's of cast h&g #50 wc's cast out of 8bhn/9bhn alloy & lubed in the bottom 2 lube grooves only for decades. Same for the 45acp/h&g #68's, 8bhn/9bhn. The #50 wc's were sized to .358" and the 68's were sized to .452". Both were lubed with the nra 50/50 back then.

If it was me I'd go with a 1 to 5 lino/lead alloy and try them air cooled (+/- 8bhn). If they need to be a little harder simply water drop them to bring them up to +/- 11bhn.
    I think water dropping them is overrated in that the hardness seems to change over time according to my hardness tester.

I run either straight lead or wheel weight lead sized to .358 without any problems.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    I think water dropping them is overrated in that the hardness seems to change over time according to my hardness tester.

I run either straight lead or wheel weight lead sized to .358 without any problems.
    Does your straight lead drop out of the mould noticeably smaller than WWs? This has been my experience. I still think that getting the final size right is the critical step... there are rifle bullets I can shoot “as Cast” but those are exceptionally good moulds cut to size for the alloy and bore.

In answer to the question about not filling all the lube grooves, with smokeless powder and good barrels, a lot less lubrication is needed. Think about the wax and graphite on the knurled surface of staged bullets and the relatively thin film on tumble lubed bullets. One or two good rings of lubricant would be much more actual volume of lube than either of those. I do have some old rifle bullet designs with 4 or more lube grooves. I think some of the Perfection (adjustable length) moulds had 6 or more rings when made full weight. I lube those with an Ideal 450, so all the grooves get filled like it or not.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    Just asking but why only lube 2 of the lube grooves and not all 3
    There have been several studies done(sorry, I can't post a link) over the years as to how much lube gives best accuracy with cast wadcutters. It was always found to be filling one or two lube grooves gave the best accuracy.

I can't say that the difference is significant. I am not a good enough shot to be able to tell.
    Last edited by tazman; 06-16-2019 at 05:11 PM.

Boolit Master
    It's worth experimenting with different alloys, even for wadcutters at moderate velocity. I seldom shoot wadcutters anymore except in a Model 52 S&W and I doubt I shoot that gun more than once or twice a year. Wheelweight alloy H&G #50s shoot accurately in it. I've never tried another alloy for the 52.

However, I shot linotype wadcutters in .38 Special revolvers when I began casting years ago. I regret not taking notes at that time, but I seem to recall linotype shot very well with Bullseye powder using standard dosages, 2.7 or 2.8 grs. No hard and fast rules here.

Boolit Master
    I found the lubing only one groove of a multi groove bullet, gave better accuracy, with less smoke, at mid range velocities. Apparently the NRA thinks so also, as they had good results in their target load development, mentioned in their cast bullet manuals.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Does your straight lead drop out of the mould noticeably smaller than WWs? This has been my experience. I still think that getting the final size right is the critical step... there are rifle bullets I can shoot “as Cast” but those are exceptionally good moulds cut to size for the alloy and bore.

In answer to the question about not filling all the lube grooves, with smokeless powder and good barrels, a lot less lubrication is needed. Think about the wax and graphite on the knurled surface of staged bullets and the relatively thin film on tumble lubed bullets. One or two good rings of lubricant would be much more actual volume of lube than either of those. I do have some old rifle bullet designs with 4 or more lube grooves. I think some of the Perfection (adjustable length) moulds had 6 or more rings when made full weight. I lube those with an Ideal 450, so all the grooves get filled like it or not.

Froggie
    My molds are oversize so if there is any difference before sizing its not going to matter. All my 38's/357's are sized to .358 on the Star sizer with Lathesmith sizing dies. I simply don't measure anything before its sized. Once sized I occasionally check bullets with a micrometer. I also do the visual test and look at the bullet to see that its been sized all the way around it. No problems with bullets getting stuck in the molds either as everything simply drops out.

Boolit Master

thanks
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Banned
    I would concentrate on proper fit first before I began to worry about hardness.

Like I mentioned the 45acp WILL be fine provided the bullet fit is good with pure lead. I've shot thousands thru my 1911's.

The 38 with wadcutters should be fine if properly fit with straight lead simply because your not pushing it over 1000 fps.

The 44 magnum I would like to see using #2 Alloy and properly fit.

Boolit Master
    I have always cast my wadcutters from straight clip on wheel weights. Now I am running low on WW and have changed my wadcutters to 30-1 pure lead to pewter.I can not tell any difference in accuracy with my 686. My load with wadcutters in wadcutter 38 special brass is 3.2 grs. of Bullseye and the Lyman 358495 sized at .359 using BAC in one lube groove of the boolit with no leading at all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12