RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LARGE cast Boolits on Elk

Banned

Smile LARGE cast Boolits on Elk

The boys in Elk camp last fall up in ID laughed when I showed up with this:

and this (1.4 ounces). The tapered heel is because this is a hammered in bullet, as were the original patched round balls. Each rifleman (chosen man) was issued a mallet that hung from his belt to start the ball. When things got hot, they just spit the bare ball down the barrel, kept the muzzle elevated a bit and let fly. I've tried it with round balls and at 25 yards it would be deadly against massed troops. Not to say they were good, but to become a chosen man you had to hit a 1/2 man target at 300 yards from an improvised rest.:

but got real quiet on day two when this fell over at 18 paces (about as far as I could see in the jungle he lived in):

C. 1809 Baker British military replica, 61 caliber, 80 gr 2F, mold designed by me and made by Lee (pretty inexpensive too). Ballistics about like a 16 ga German Boar "deerslug". Double lunged him, he went 20 yards. MY guide's immortal quote was
    "Holy s---, I could see the blood spraying out the other side when you shot!"

If you want to see Bakers in action, get NETFLIX and rent the 16 part BBC series Sharpes' Rifles where a lot of froggies have bad days with Wellington's boys in green.
    Last edited by Mr Humble; 07-14-2009 at 09:40 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    That's impressive all the way around! Well done.

Way To Go! The ole type peices still do it Eh.
    Cheers Euan.

Boolit Mold
    congratulatoins on your kill let em laugh thats just way to neat

Banned
    Good Form, Good Form

You do not need mass to kill, but it sure do not hurt nothing either.

Just think how much deader that elk would be with a .30 or .338 superdooperearsplittenloudenboomer.

Boolit Grand Master

Good Job! Big boolits will do the job for sure.
    I shot my first elk here in Arizona with a 58 caliber H&R Huntsman. Only went about 10 yards.
    ACWW round ball went thru both lungs.

Boolit Master
    Most excellent! I've only killed deer with patched round balls from my .54 caliber rifles, one flint and one caplock.
    JDL

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 357maximum View Post
    Good Form, Good Form

You do not need mass to kill, but it sure do not hurt nothing either.

Just think how much deader that elk would be with a .30 or .338 superdooperearsplittenloudenboomer.

Yup and think how much deafer I'd be than I already am from years shooting as a "ute"
    before muffs were invented!

Boolit Master
    Wow! Very nice bull, and taken the hard/right way, up close and personal with a muzzle loader. Congratulations, not many people today can say they've taken an elk with a muzzle loader much less a flintlock.

You inspire me, makes me think I need to start building a real elk size muzzle loader. Hum let's see, a 16 gauge round ball weighs 1 oz and with 140 grains of Fg it just might do the job. Guess I better get the "track" catalog out and start looking.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Buddy
    Guides are a funny breed, and they really have to put up with some real Yo-Yos in camps all over the country. It's darn refreshing for them to see someone do it right, and I bet that guide of yours is going to be talking about that for some time to come. Great job, very well done!

Regards,
    Bill
    America is like a healthy body, and its resistance is threefold: its patriotism, its morality, and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within. Joseph Stalin

"Hope" is not a strategy.

Life member NRA
    US Navy Retired
    NRA Certified Rifle, Pistol, Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Range Safety Officer

May I ask? Are you the same Humble that is on the Hyde?
    WHERE THE HELL IS FARMVILLE??

Boolit Master

Danged purty shootin' iron! Obviously you have mastered its operation. I'd guess the laughter was stifled with your harvest. Best kind of one-up-menship!

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BPCR Bill View Post
    Guides are a funny breed, and they really have to put up with some real Yo-Yos in camps all over the country. It's darn refreshing for them to see someone do it right, and I bet that guide of yours is going to be talking about that for some time to come. Great job, very well done!

Regards,
    Bill
    You sure have that right. My guide in ID was a Prince!

I have a good friend here in WY who is an outfitter that has enough "dude" stories to write a book. Almost all involve some hunter who believed the crap that Elk are all shot at 500 yards and are bullet proof. The guide keeps an old 721 30-06 with a K4, loaded with 165 Partitions in camp. After the dude misses his second elk at less than 200 yards with the new 340 Weatherby carrying a huge variable (or some other like cannon), it is GENTLY suggested that he might try a few shots at the camp range with the 9 pound 06'. Usually, the 06' goes in the scabbard and the hunter goes home with an elk.

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    That's impressive all the way around! Well done.
    Indeed!!

Banned
    Thinking maybe a Bison next year with this........ (Lyman tang a lot handier for hunting than 6" long vernier)

Moderator Emeritus
    Impressive!

Well done and welcome to the forum.
    John, a.k.a. Tiny or Stretch
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Humble View Post
    Thinking maybe a Bison next year with this........ (Lyman tang a lot handier for hunting than 6" long vernier)
    Wow!! What a beauty!! Details, please!

Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior1942 View Post
    Wow!! What a beauty!! Details, please!
    Yes, please, I second Junior's request, loads and boolit types please.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned
    I assume you are talking about the Alexander Henry replica? made by a guy in Yakima WA. that no one has ever heard of, but quality is "British Best". I bought it ANNB from the late Thad Scott.

.452 Gibbs mold made for Pedersoli for their Gibbs replica and 80-100 gr of 2F, #10 CCI caps.
    Just getting started and have 67 year old eyes, but 2" (5) at 100 is a reliable average.

Due to the hammer location, I can't scope it with normal blocks, but maybe eventually Leatherwood will come out with offset bases that will aloow mounting one of their
    l-o-n-g repro Malcom scopes.

Just for grins, I also tried it with Barnes X .45 sabots with a smear of bore butter on the plastic to ease seating. They shoot just as well and I'm sure would be a deadly killer.
    (all I use for hunting in C.F. rifles are Barnes .224-.411) see below:

Thanks for your nice words. "Lead makes em' dead!"

Moderator Emeritus
    Nothing like the old style firearms for hunting. It's a different type of satisfaction when you bag some game.

Well, I wish you success on the bison hunt.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast