Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: loading lee 1oz slugs

loading lee 1oz slugs

Hi all, I'm new to this so please bare with me, I purchased from BPI fiocchi brown hulls with 616 primers, i would like to load them with Lee 1oz key way slugs, with waa12 white wads, I plan on roll crimping, any advise and load data would be greatly appreciated.

IT'S BETTER TO HAVE IT AND NOT NEED IT, THAN TO NEED IT AND NOT HAVE IT

Boolit Buddy
    read the questions others have asked before you. they are here.

to get that to work right, you will probably need some HS6 and 20 gauge nitro cards. your going to need an overshot wad on top of the slug to open the crimp. otherwise the wad will become damaged by the edge of the crimp as the round is fired.
    A.F.A.M.

Boolit Man
    Harmon is right. There's a wealth of information here on loading slugs such that I've photocopied many, many pages from this and other sites for my own reference. I've got seperate folders for Lee, Lyman, and the roundball, all of which I utilized in determining my own loads for these three for my USH. There's a great deal of satisfaction in successfully finding a load that you later use to take a deer, my primary reason for loading my own slugs. It probably costs me more to purchase the molds and eventually settle on loads than to buy factory slugs, but I'm at that point in my life where the enjoyment of the hunt is an important part enhanced by making my own stuff, whether it's handloading slugs, making turkey calls, or fletching arrows for my longbow. Good luck in your reloading.

Boolit Master

Not to hi-jack but I found a design flaw with their slug molds,the platform plate where the drive key sits on it has a little stem that is bradded to the plate,after some castings and repeated hitting of the bolt on the mold will cause that brad to fail and in turn the key will break away from the plate,the key is made of aluminum.Lee needs to drill into the drive key and use a machine screw going though the plate, like they do on the sprue plate into the drive key to prevent this from happening.I called and talked to John Lee about it and he said to do the same thing with a machine screw, they are sending me new parts, and hopefully they will do this at manufacturing so we don't have to!! Just a FYI- GT27
    Last edited by GT27; 03-01-2012 at 05:07 PM.
    You can't buy common sense,and stupidity can't be fixed!

shot gun slugs

Thanks to all for responding to my question, I'm a do it yourself type of person, do you think a 5/8' felt wad soaked in bees wax would work for under shot card, and a bees wax soaked cardboard for overshot card on a roll crimp.