Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning the shipping goo from a rifle

Cleaning the shipping goo from a rifle

When you get a rifle from across the pond (serbia, romania, etc) they come caked in shipping goo and grease. Suggestions please for good household products to clean the goo from a rifle -- all metal receiver and polymer stock and handguard.
    Thanks in advance

Ohio Rusty ><>

Remember when an Apple meant fruit, a Mac was a truck, Windows meant the glass on your house and Blackberries are what grew in the field behind the house ......
    "This is America !!, where many have fought and died for our right
    to celebrate our views with inflatable creatures in our yards ......."

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Goop hand cleaner, and a stiff brush, along with lots of paper towels.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    That "shipping goo" is usually an anti rust agent like cosmoline. Easiest way to remove it is heat. It has a melting point of 170*F, so even a hair dryer will do.

I typically boil the small parts or run them through my ultrasonic cleaner with dishsoap and near-boiling water, then just use Hoppes or CLP and cleaning clothes.

If it's really bad, I'll use a hair dryer or heat gun over a bucket or old newspapers to melt off the majority of the cosmoline, then clean as usual. For wood or polymer stocks, don't go any hotter than a hair dryer or you'll damage the finish or warp the polymer.

Alternatively, you can use a steam gun on the metal parts. The water helps move the melted crud along.

For the bore: some type of bore foam or gel, then clean as usual.

There are probably a dozen other ways to do it, but I use those methods most often.
    Who keeps not his arms in times of peace, Will have no arms in times of war.
    -Gaelic Proverb

Gasoline. Be sure you smoke up wind. A barrel of gasoline that you can dunk the gun into and soak it will really do the job. Is it safe? Heck no, but it does gets the job done.

Boolit Buddy
    Rap the rifle in Rags and put it in a Black trash bag and put it in the Sun for a Day or 2 and the Cosmo will melt and soak in to the rags.It want remove the original finish like Solvents and other concoctions.Might have to wait for a warm day in Ohio.Going to be 80' here for a couple days.Good Luck. Mike
    If I tell you a Rooster can pull a plow You better hook him up

Boolit Master

I use desil fuel and a stiff brush. Proably not as fast as gas but the flash point is higher. I keep a bucket for parts cleaning / soaking.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Master

Cosmoline Removal Box

Some time ago I built a heat box that I hang the stock and/or barreled action in to remove the cosmoline. It has a light bulb for a heat source and a drip pan in the bottom.
    Works very good. Slow heat, time and gravity take care of the sticky cosmoline.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Buddy
    I have seen the heat boxes before but haven't ever tried them.I always just use the rags and black trash bag method.I would the heat box instead of the solvent or concoctions as to retain the original finish.Mike
    If I tell you a Rooster can pull a plow You better hook him up

Boolit Master

gas is fastest and if it not then light it will take care of its self

Boolit Grand Master

Paint thinner (mineral spirits) work well. If you go to a home improvement store and buy one of the long, skinney containers for wetting wallpaper in this works well.

Cheap brake cleaner from Wally World works great for the hard to reach places.

Simple Green works well to remove the residue left from the paint thinner and makes it smell nice.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shotman View Post
    gas is fastest and if it not then light it will take care of its self
    Who keeps not his arms in times of peace, Will have no arms in times of war.
    -Gaelic Proverb

For getting it off metal, I use brake cleaner. Spray it on and it evaporates the gunk.

Boolit Master
    Hardware store, buy 5 gallons of unscented kerosene, it is sold as heating fuel and does not smell. Reusable many times.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Master

I wipe off as much as I can with paper towels, then take it all apart and I use Ed's Red and paper towels on the metal and Formby's Lemon Oil Treatment and paper towels on the wood.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by milsurp mike View Post
    I have seen the heat boxes before but haven't ever tried them.I always just use the rags and black trash bag method.I would the heat box instead of the solvent or concoctions as to retain the original finish.Mike
    Mineral Spirits won't remove the finish from the wood unless you scrub the heck out of it, or leave it on a long, long time. I usually use a paint brush and mineral spirits, obviously a bore brush for the bore. This will clean the grease/cosmoline and also cleans the dirt off of a BLO finish without removing the BLO.

Leadman has it exactly right, the long plastic trays for wall paper are perfect for cleaning a rifle.

Everyone has a favorite way, but I'd stay away from the gasoline as being too dangerous.

Ed

Boolit Master
    Mineral spirits paint thinner, it's oily and safe for wood provided you just wipe it down with a wet rag. I cleaned a Winchester Wildcat 22 like that, was a Russian import. Cosmoline everywhere, even in the bore.

Mineral spirits is good stuff, close to kerosene.

Boolit Master

Use WD-40. It worked well on my Isapore 308.
    Dysfunctional Disturbed Disabled Debonair Navy Veteran
    Swift Boats, Vietnam, 1967-1968.

"You are never too old to learn something stupid."

Boolit Master
    My uncle told me of being on a punishment detail when in boot camp in 1940. They were forced to clean the cosmoline out of a pile of about a hundred 1903 Springfields, using brushes in tubs of gasoline. Evidently it worked well, and was SOP for that particular mean-assed sergeant, but Unk said it was the most disgusting job he had to do (pre-ETO combat). He said he and his buddy had stripped down to their skivvies to do it, which earned them a weekend of KP for being out of uniform, on top of the weekend spent cleaning those rifles. All that for throwing a cigarette butt on the ground!

Boolit Bub

Removing cosmoline

I almost hate to get in on this thread but I can't help myself. I collected Milsurp rifles for several years and the most discussed and cussed topic was cleaning the cosmoline out of the stock. Metal parts are easy because you can use almost any good solvent. The wood though only time and heat can bring the cosmoline to the surface where it can be wiped off.

De-greasers are often used to remove the suface cosmoline, I often used Purple Power. Some de-greasers require water rinses after application. Most people don't like to put water on wood, but I did it all the time without any problems. just make sure the water is very hot. If you have a collectable stock I wouldn't advise the harsh heat/de-grease/rinse method, because you may lose some cartouches from the stock. If it is already a beat-up club of a stock clean away with this method it will actually take dents out of the stock (raising the fibers really).

When you finish and allow the stock to dry it will be completely bleached out. However when you start applying the oil of your choice back to the wood it will take it and have the true colors of the wood. I very seldom added any stain to the oils.

Let me warn you though even as nasty a job as it is when you start seeing the results you can get hooked on re-doing these old stocks.

Milsurpshooters forum is the place to go to learn about this subject.
    A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.
    Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

If you don't want to build a heat box, try hanging the stock in your attic. Put something below it to catch the drips. Not a fast method, but it works. For the metal parts, I pour boiling water over them. The heat speeds the drying. I apply a good gun oil after it is cleaned.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!