WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 6.5x53R Dutch

Got some soft lead cruise missiles cast up for fire lapping and my fingers crossed.

The cruise missiles really do not provide a lot of groove diameter contact area. Fired five (3 grains Unique is plenty), scrubbing the barrel clean in between shots. Definitely smoother though certainly still pitted. May shift gears and try patching some 266469's to make them big enough and see if they tear and lead.

Quote Originally Posted by RPRNY View Post
    You can use pp to clean out the remaining fouling bit if there is deep / newly uncovered pitting, you are likely to tear patches and start leading again. You can firelap with David Tubbs Final Finish, although you may not be getting good contact with that barrel.

I would go at it hell for leather with JB compound until it's clean and smooth. You may then have s measurably larger bore and shallow groves. That's when paper patching will shine. PPB like shallow grooves and you will be able to patch our to a nice snug fit.
    Do you think there is a best surface to put on a brush...
    wound scotchbrite?
    cloth?
    steel wool?

For larger bores I like to use scotchbrite as a compression layer under the patch. Maybe I can make that work even with the little bitty bore.

Stainless steel bore brushes do wonders to old pitted barrels. One for .270 ought to be obtainable.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Thanks. Will look into that.

When fire lapping with the cruise missiles, the best results are with No.9 bore solvent in the bore from scrubbing after the previous shot. If the bore is clean and dry you get lead leaves on the patch after firing. If No.9 is left in the bore the abrasive coated slug can conform to the bore and pass through it without loosing it's abrasive charged surface. Metal removal was more then rapid.

mace2364
    I'm very interested to see what you come up with. I've got the rifle version of that carbine. I have loaded some for it, but only jacketed bullets so far.

You know mace, I'm real interested too. Still got my fingers crossed on this adventure.
    Stuck in New England for the moment but will get back to work on it soon.
    Wondering what kind of bullet diameter the barrel might end up needing... it could dang near be a .270 with a shorty case.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Dutch carbine that shoots well with jacketed (under 2" @ 100yds.) but never got it to shoot with .2695 dia. Cruise missles or # 266469. Bore slugs .2685 and i tried bumping up , etc. to no avail. I've stayed with jacketed.I got C&H dies , and bought Betram brass. Also made a front sight to hit on @ 100yds.160gr. Hornady shoots well , as do 140gr. Sierra and Hornady. Bulk Remington 140s dont shoot well in it or anything else I've tried them in...HTH
    Last edited by Tedly; 07-17-2013 at 09:59 PM.

mace2364
    I don't have a 6.5 mold yet, so I just loaded some jacketed bullets in mine. I just used regular 6.5 bullets, and I had no problem hitting clay pigeons at 100 yards.

Boolit Master
    I like bronze wool. A good wrap on a .25 cal cleaning jag would be my starting point.

It's getting slicker...

With a .273" or .274" diameter boolit it might shoot right now. Real tempted to try the Lyman 266469 patched up but it's still needing some slickin' up.
    Last edited by Good Cheer; 07-19-2013 at 06:45 PM.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    I have both a carbine and full length rifle. One little trick I learned regarding the Mannlicher "packet loading" clips........put a piece of electrical tape across the bottom slot and you won't lose those precious clips after the last shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Tedly View Post
    I have a Dutch carbine that shoots well with jacketed (under 2" @ 100yds.) but never got it to shoot with .2695 dia. Cruise missles or # 266469. Bore slugs .2685 and i tried bumping up , etc. to no avail. I've stayed with jacketed.I got C&H dies , and bought Betram brass. Also made a front sight to hit on @ 100yds.160gr. Hornady shoots well , as do 140gr. Sierra and Hornady. Bulk Remington 140s dont shoot well in it or anything else I've tried them in...HTH
    If you decide you'd like to stock up on brass that's a lot less expensive, you can make it from .303 pretty easy, just size down in steps, 308 sizing die with the expander removed, 7-08 with no expander, then on into your 6.5 Dutch die after trimming. The die bodies can be bought as parts from Lee for $13 ea.

Most all of my 6.5 Japanese rifles have oversized groove diameters, up to .271". Someday I'm going to swage some .270 bullets down just a bit and see how they'll do. I have a limited run NOE 160gr flatnose that's big enough, but haven't got around to loading any.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Fixing to go back to work on it. The groove diameter has lapped bigger than the cruise missiles so next step in the plan is slapping the cruise missiles in the tail hard enough to get full contact. Dug way back and got the old thin brass Lyman 6.5mm gas checks. The box still has the 55 cents Gander Mountain price tag on it so must be about time I used them. Thinking maybe to shift to fine grit instead of coarse, fill the grooves of the cruise missiles.

Quote Originally Posted by 3006guns View Post
    I have both a carbine and full length rifle. One little trick I learned regarding the Mannlicher "packet loading" clips........put a piece of electrical tape across the bottom slot and you won't lose those precious clips after the last shot!
    Thanks for the tip. Will do.

Got a 1916 Hembrug and need charger clips,it has a good bore little dark and looks like a arsenal extention on the barrel ! Did they do this to fire grenades ?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0892.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	78534Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0893.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	78533
    Dont know where the picture came from in the chair but not mine ! The extention looks to be a piece of barrel drilled out and fitter there are 3 pins with one showing and the front sight was replaced,it is safe to shoot . I could not find charger clips from the link above posted and could use a little info for forming brass also ! Thank you,Dakoma
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_0095.jpg  
    Last edited by Dakoma; 08-07-2013 at 12:34 PM.

Looks like a paper patched diameter sized to fit the chamber throat is just exactly bigger than the chamber diameter at the case neck needs.
    This will be interesting.

Perhaps the back end of a patch boolit can be sized. I do have .270" diameter for the Lyman press.
    The alternative would perhaps be to make a three wrap patch of 25% rag paper and trim the boolit base portion of the patch to make that area two wraps, like when you're making a front portion of a patch fit into the bore.

266469 with three wraps of 9# has to be sized on the hind end to chamber without banging your hand up getting it to close. Loaded some up with a .22LR case scoop of Unique and dipped the boolit in JB compound before chambering the rounds. That way the case forming and the bore polishing gets done at the same time. It's getting slicker. Still trying to figure out what kind of small bottom big front boolit this is going to take.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast