RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M1 Carbine cases

Boolit Grand Master

M1 Carbine cases

I've never heard about this before, but it kind of makes sense.
    Had a Carbine match yesterday.
    Was talking to a friend, and he told me the reason why, when reloading 30 carbine cases more that three times, it will not be accurate
    Said someone told him it was because of the neck tension was to loose.
    Anyone ever hear of this????

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    I sure haven't..........and neither have the hundreds of 30 carbine cases I've loaded too many times to count. Since the carbine round is nothing more than a straight walled pistol case (well, okay, it's tapered). How many 38 special, 45 acp and 9mm "lose their neck tension"?

It's possible I suppose, but when you think about it, brass gets HARDER as it's worked (i.e. sizing). Should keep its tension quite nicely. If anything you might have to anneal them before they begin to crack, but even that's a little far fetched.
    Last edited by 3006guns; 06-09-2019 at 11:59 AM.

If the neck tension is too loose to hold the bullet it will definitely cause accuracy loss and other things unwanted.��

Boolit Master

I thought the .30Carb was a bit tapered like the 9X19 case.

I do remember when the T/C Sizier Die's came out, My DAD made me lube 1 outa 5 cases.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master
    I also thought resizing brass makes it harder.
    The Carbine case is tapered, so resizing would make it harder.
    I don't know.
    I've reloaded Carbine cases until they split or the primer pocket is to big.

Boolit Grand Master

I've been reloading for the 30 Carbine since '67......never heard of such nor found any basis to it. Our sporting endeavor is rife with myths, old wife's tales, false assumptions and just plain horse pucky.....
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    I too load 30 carbine. I've not run into this as of yet. I did get a batch of jacketed bullets that were undersized once, which gave me a fit. I now measure all jacketed bullets because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I've been reloading for the 30 Carbine since '67......never heard of such nor found any basis to it. Our sporting endeavor is rife with myths, old wife's tales, false assumptions and just plain horse pucky.....
    Yup, at times you need hip boots to wade through the worst of it.

Boolit Master
    they sure will get stuck and pull the rim off if you don't lube them. GOD they are a tight fit in the dies. I even roll lube them on a lube pad with my carbide dies.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F9FBA5BD-C28A-4280-AB02-F20DEF58B3D2.jpeg 
Views:	24 
Size:	174.7 KB 
ID:	242950

Hope that doesn’t get me in trouble..
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

My first .30 Carbine reloads featured .307" PPU 110gr sp and Lee C309113f @.309"'with no problems at all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I've been loading 30Carb for decades an have eventually run into cases that suffered case separations and loose primer pockets when I was still loading them "HOT" (as in 12.5Gr of 2400) But, I've never had neck tension problems...
    Last edited by AllanD; 06-04-2019 at 05:00 PM.

Boolit Master

I guess I'm the exception. I have run into neck tension problems, but only rarely. It is almost always with cases that have been loaded many times and trimmed many times. Carbine cases are slightly tapered. They do stretch as a result of this. If they are reloaded enough times, the case walls can thin resulting in a loss of neck tension. I have had to junk a few cases over the years, but not many. I should also note that I've loaded literally tens of thousands of those little beasties and can count those junked without needing to take off my shoes. But those cases were probably reloaded 40-50 times, not 3 or 4 times. That guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've not noticed a problem.
    I do notice that my reloads have a slight bulge in the case, where the boolet is.
    No problem chambering, shoots well, so must not be a problem.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I can't see where it would be any different than any other straight wall case and i have some that have been loaded light since the 80's. Some loaded heavy more than 10 times with no ill effects.

Boolit Master
    Never had that problem.

Boolit Grand Master

Another issue with the cases isn't do to case shape so much as it is to the semi auto function of the rifle. Check case heads for squareness when new then after 3-4 loading and they may be out of square do to the more violent extraction ejection cycles. This was seen in garands and M14/M1As and sometimes in AR15s with commercial brass.

Banned

nonsense. working brass (sizing, expanding, crimping) hardens and so somewhere down its usage road that will lead to cracking, while heat (proper annealing) will soften and restore its resilience to allow dozens if not scores of reloads. there are other factors to consider, such as the brass metal itself, wall thickness, dimensions and quality of manufacture, but for the most part, and for sporting usage, good brass cases could be reloaded many dozens of times.

Super Moderator

I had a batch of WCC 44 M1 Carbine brass that was prone to splitting. I don't know how many reloads were on them, as they were gifted to me. After I had half dozen split from one magazine load, I decided it was time to toss them. This brass was obviously very old. Other than that, I've had no other problems with any Carbine brass. When I get new brass (Starline), I size them, trim them, and shoot em' again & again. No issues.

Moderator Emeritus

I am a carbine aficionado and loader; I was having accuracy problems "to beat the band" with the IAI US 30 carbine I was shooting, and came across this dogma on cases:
    30 Carbine Case Length (after sizing):
    1) 1.286" and under: UNreliable
    2) Between 1.287" and 1.292": OK
    3) 1.293" and over: May jam action

Perhaps the sage who offered you the "after three" info was superstitiously suggesting the case neck tension as a cause? I can see this if you have a bevy of different carbines you're loading, but would think for (re)loading same firearm, that should not be a challenge.
    geo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast