Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Custom 44 Mag Carbide Die

Boolit Master

Custom 44 Mag Carbide Die

Why size a case down so much you have to open the neck back up? The 44 sizer dies I've measured were ~ .448". I bought a Lee 44 Carbide Sizing Die and using 325 mesh Diamond Powder I opened it up to .450. I coated 1/2 inch Dremel felt wheels with spray adhesive and rolled them in Diamond Powder and let them dry. Soaking them a little in soapy water before you polish seems to work better. Using a Makita Drill on high I gained a little over .0001 each try and the wheels needed to be changed after 1 or 2 minutes. Once they dry out the wheels can be recoated. Arrowhead Lapidary Supply sells small quantities of Abrasives. The wheel in front is a new one coated with diamond. The one behind has been used. Don't know why it turns black.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CarbideDie.jpg  
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    WOW, that's something i wouldn't have thought of but it actually sounds like a really simple mod! Do you know what the total cost was and mind sharing? Just curious, looks like a great idea for any die! Probably smoothed things out very nicely as well. Thanks for sharing, always love project pic's
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Master
    It took less than $5 worth of Diamond Powder as I bought 25 ct. for $25 plus shipping. I used it first to enlarge the bands an Iron mold and still have a fair amount left. The Dremel Felt Wheels are 6 for $5 plus a couple bucks for the shaft. Petroleum based spray adhesive maybe $6 for the can but it only took a few cents worth.

I decided on a Carbide Die as my Hornady Die is TIN coated and I'd be lubing cases afterward. Diamond mining has gotten very sophisticated and it brought the cost way down. It's been on my mind for a while but the final piece was an under $70 plug gauge set from Grizzly. Checked each one I used with a Mic and they've all been right on.

Oh yea. It's Really Smooth Now!
    Mal

Boolit Master

Die update / It's becoming a Die Set.

I've run 250 pieces of brass through the Modified Lee Die and it's nice and much smoother than my Hornady TIN coated. It's .450" rather than the Stock .448". The brass comes out ~ .452" with a ~ .429 interior. The walls Mic a ~ .011" so I might be loosing .001 to out of round. ( I inherited a very cool ball anvil Mic. )

I'm fitting .431 Boolits.

I've ordered a custom M Die plug from Lathesmith with a .430 body so as not to loose neck tension but still be big and a .436 bell cuz I'd like room if I need it.

This Is An Experiment so I'll let you know how it goes.
    Mal

Boolit Master

Mal,

Very clever. I need to remember this method.

Bliksem