RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load Data Wideners

Thread: 90g 30-30 load...

Boolit Master

90g 30-30 load...

So I recently had a mold cut for my 7.62x25mm pistola, a CZ-52. And as I was sitting here talking guns with a coworker of mine I got to thinking about the boolit and what else I could use it with.

Instantly I thought of my '94, and with the profile, I think it'd be right up it's alley for a plinking/small game load. Below is a picture of the round. I'm thinking that as soon as I'm back from the middle-east I'll have to go ahead and cast a hundred or so up, lube and size and get after it on the bench.

Anybody got any load data for a 90g boolit??? I'm thinking that 9.0-10.0 of Unique is probably going to be a good starter, along with some polyfill. Size is .311-.312 per the measured boolits from Mountain Molds.

Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

You might look at using 2400. I've never loaded for 30-30 with it, but in 32-40 it works like a dream for light plinking/small game loads. I use about 12 gr. in my loads.
    If you're gonna shoot shoot, don't talk.

Boolit Master
    What weight boolit are you using, Dirty?
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    I suppose it depends upon how fast you want to go, but I would suggest fast burning handgun/shotshell powder and no filler. Powders like Bullseye, Clays, Solo 1000, and Red Dot come to mind. I've used Clays and Solo 1000 for ultralight loads and suggest a pisol primer and starting at 2gr and working up 1/2gr at a time looking for accuracy.

I'm using Red Dot behind the recent NOE 3118GC 125gr and shot sub 1" at 55 yards with 8.0gr and expect that to be close to 1500fps.

The 40th edition of the Ideal Handbook (1955) lists 87gr cast over 7.5gr 4759 for 1300fps and 4.0gr Unique at 1100fps.

6-7 gr. Unique, no filler. Any more and the CB will destroy itself.

Like popper does, I use 6.0 grs of Unique behind the Hornady 80 grain HBWC in my Springfield 840 with no filler for a very effective rabbit & squirrel load.

Boolit Grand Master

I shoot lots of 314-90-SWC and Hornady's 90 gr swaged .32 bullet over 2.7 gr Bullseye (no filler or wad) in the 30-30 and the 7.62x39. I size them at .311 for the .30-30 and .312 for the 7.62x39 (Mini MK X). Velocity runs 825 - 850 fps out of 20" barrels, accuracy is superb with minimal muzzle blast and no recoil to speak of......about like a .22LR.

If you want more velocity work up to 6 gr of Bullseye for 1400 - 1500 fps which is about max for the 90 gr PB's bullets accuracy wise. I got much better ignition and consistency with Bullseye than with any other powder including Unique. 2400 is way too slow for this light of a bullet.

Try the 2.7 gr Bullseye load, it is very addictive.

Larry Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    What weight boolit are you using, Dirty?
    I'm using a 165 gr. boolit. My old lyman manual shows a suggested starting load of 15 gr. of 2400 for a 131 grain cast in 30-30. You could probably tone that down a bit for a 90 grain boolit and have a nice and cheap shooter. 2400 is a fairly fast burning magnum pistol powder, but is really nice for light rifle loads. I would shy away from filler with any fast burners like Unique or 2400. You'll have plenty of pressure without them. Let me know how your load turns out. I would be interested in giving it a try.
    If you're gonna shoot shoot, don't talk.

Boolit Master
    I use 2.7-5.0grs Unique with the Lee .314" 90gr SWC sized down to .311". Fairly quiet for the 2.7 load and about like a .22 mag+ for the 5.0 load. Works great on small game and the light load works well on pests around my garden. I have gotten good results to the 50yds I have tested this to, but have not done enough testing with the 2.7gr load to be able to comment much beyond that. The 5.0 gr load is ok, but nothing to write home about at 100yds yet, but I'm not done fine-tuning it yet so I hope it improves.

I have used 5.0 Trailboss under the 90 gr. Hornady SWC @ .311" diameter (nose sized through the Lee Push Thru Die).

Velocity runs 1,100 f.p.s. with good accuracy (50 yard groups running 1"- 1 1/4").

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

Boolit Buddy
    I agree with popper and oksmle about using unique. I load 6.5 gr.

Have had very good luck with the "soupcan" and 6.0 of red dot. Also with a 311291 with no gas check over the same charge.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

I'm with Popper.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.