RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideal Tong Tool

Boolit Bub

Ideal Tong Tool

Are there any instructional videos around for the Ideal Reloading tool with bullet mold, model #1, third version?
    Are there any printed instructions available? Are there any PDF file instructions available?

Thanks for any help.

Mule

Boolit Master
    You can get reprints of the old Ideal Handbooks from Cornell Publications. The ones previous to Number 29, and Number 29, which was the first one printed after Lyman took over, have the instructions on how to use all the variations of Ideal tong tools.

Did you try Google Books and other such sites? There's a lot of stuff in electronic format now but I don't know if the old loading tool handbooks have been scanned in yet.

Boolit Master
    Hello, confederatemule..what caliber tool do you have? Are you going to cast with it?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    You can get reprints of the old Ideal Handbooks from Cornell Publications. The ones previous to Number 29, and Number 29, which was the first one printed after Lyman took over, have the instructions on how to use all the variations of Ideal tong tools.

Did you try Google Books and other such sites? There's a lot of stuff in electronic format now but I don't know if the old loading tool handbooks have been scanned in yet.
    I bought a book from Cornell Publications. It is; "The Ideal Hand Book 1891. [Ideal 1891 (No.1)] First Edition." It has a section on "How to Prepare Your Own Ammunition". This section is not step by step instructions about reloading with the tool. I am looking for step by step instructions with pictures, or a video.

I have looked everywhere I can think of on Google. I will continue. Maybe I can come up with the right search word or phrase.

Mule

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by .22-10-45 View Post
    Hello, confederatemule..what caliber tool do you have? Are you going to cast with it?
    .22-10-45,
    I have a .32 S&W and a .38 S&W

I don't have a decapping spud [cap extractor] nor powder dipper for either caliber.

Mule
    Last edited by confederatemule; 02-27-2012 at 06:37 PM.

Boolit Mold
    mule....

The Ideal #1 is quite easy to use, has the least number of functions.

1. Decap...if you had the decapping pin, place it pin up in the seating chamber, drop the case over it in the chamber and close the handles. The old primer will pop out.
    2. Recap...place the case in the other hole in the handle, base up. Set the new primer in the case, close the handles and the little button on the other handle will seat the new primer.
    3. Powder...you will need some method of getting the correct powder charge in the case. The original measure would have been for blackpowder.
    4. Seating...set the pre-cast and lubed bullet in the case, place bullet first into the chamber and close handles. Bullet will be seated and crimped in place.
    5. Shoot and do again....

You can also go here, register (it's free), and then ask questions in the Ideal section on the Forum. Lots of good Ideal folks there.

http://www.antiquereloadingtools.com/

max

Boolit Bub
    Thanks, Max. That was a very clear explanation.
    The only way it could be any better is if it was a video with someone explaining each step.

Mule

Boolit Master
    Hello, confederatemule. Do you have the old style No. 1 nickled tool? are there any threaded adjustments for bullet seating? The round tapered extension on the tool is for expanding a case mouth to remove previous crimp...yeah, there kind of crude. I was loading for a .38 long-colt. I was able to use carbide sizer & expander dies, and seat bullet on std. press..but cases were too short to crimp. I have a nickled 310 in .38 spec. with the three die set-up. Since these tools have no shell holder, a crimp die can be threaded down to reach the shorter long-colt case.
    But even this seemingly simple task..I was using a very light crimp..after 50 rnds, my arms could really feel it!..The crimp part wasn't bad..really easy for that matter...it's the pulling those dang handles apart thats tough..even after using a dab of case lube on case mouth area.
    The only other Ideal tong tool I use is a nickled double adjustable chambered special No. 3 in .25-25 Stevens. Here again, I partially size mouth & expand on std. press..tong tool used for bullet seating.
    These tools, though obsolete & slow, can turn out 1st. class ammo. nearly all the load development by Winchester up thru WW2 was done with these hand tools. Best of luck!

Boolit Bub
    My Ideal Reloading Tool, NO. 1 - Third Version, .32 S&W, Post-1902.

I apologize about the poor pictures.
    Mule

Boolit Bub
    My Ideal Reloading Tool, NO. 1 - Third Version, .38 S&W, Post-1902.

Again, I apologize about these poor pictures.
    Mule

PS...The recapper hole on this one had something in it. I gently pushed on it and out vame a small cup. Something had been soldered to one side of it. I am pretty certain that this is the .38 S&W powder dipper. All I need to do is solder a handle on.

Boolit Grand Master

My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    It touched on the existence of the "Tong Tool" that I have, but no explanation of using it.

I appreciate the link, though. It is very interesting and may prove to be useful in the future.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't know what you read but I can reload my .44 Specials by reading the second part of the article; "How to Use the Lyman Tong Tool" by Ken Mollohan...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    I don't know what you read but I can reload my .44 Specials by reading the second part of the article; "How to Use the Lyman Tong Tool" by Ken Mollohan...
    This is the only reference to the Ideal Tong Tools that I have;

"The Tong Tool has a history that goes back to the days of Indian fights and buffalo hunters. It started out as an offering of the Ideal (now Lyman) company, and older specimens frequently include a bullet mold on the handles, which had built in dies for only one single shell - of the same caliber as the mold. It wasn’t very versatile, or very precise, but it didn’t have much competition, and it got the job done well enough to handle both outlaws and buffalo.

As time went on, the basic design was revised and reworked to keep pace with the changing expectations of shooters, who tended to lean increasingly toward paper targets, owing to the growing scarcity of buffalo. The mold was removed and given a set of handles of its own.

The built in dies were removed, and the handles were threaded to accept interchangeable dies, albeit of a smaller diameter than most of us are used to using. In time, the handles were threaded all the way through, and inserts that could be changed to let you load different sized cases were added."

Mine have "built in dies" for only one caliber. Nothing is removable nor interchangeable. Nothing screws in or out. And they are not by Lyman.

As I said before, I do appreciate the link.

Mule

Boolit Master

WELL!!!!!!!!!!

22-10-45, you made me look

I have a tool in 22-10-45, sweet

Also found one marked 25-25-86 on the box

Last edited by skeettx; 03-11-2012 at 03:12 PM.

Boolit Bub
    These are nice. They have the threaded handle. Do you have guns to shoot them?

My two didn't come in boxes and don't have threaded handles. They're, also, not complete sets, but they will be someday, maybe.

Boolit Master

Hello
    No do not have the guns to use them.
    Had collected Tong tools for years.
    Now most of the collection is gone with
    the proceeds used for other shooting venues.

Just had these tucked away and had not sold them yet
    Was suprised these two calibers were mentioned in this thread
    Mike

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    skeettx:

Do you still have either of these tools? If so, I am very interested in either or both. Please PM me.

floodgate
    NOV SHMOZ KA POP?

Boolit Master

Yes
    PM sent
    Mike

Boolit Master

lyman tong tool

i have two that are in the boxes, theye are made of aluminiun, are theye of any value? theye are unused, these take a verry small die , a fellow reloader friend said theye are called peanut dies, toot.