Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handi Rifle questions

Handi Rifle questions

Can anyone post bore and groove dimensions for .308 and .30-30 Handi Rifle barrels?

MJ

Boolit Master
    Each one is going to be slightly different.
    Time to slug your barrel

I'm trying to determine if I should bother purchasing either a 30-30 or 308 barrel for my SB-2 frame. If the grooves aren't at least .0035" deep, it's not worth my effort.

MJ

Boolit Buddy

I'd ask this over on Greybeard Outdoors. They are the Handi experts.
    Will Fly For Boolits

I finally got through to NEF and the 308W is supposed to be .300"/.308" whereas the .30-30 is .301"/.3075".

MJ

LoL!, Thats funny! They gave you ideal numbers. My buffalo classic for example is .458 . my .308 is .310 I had to lap out the nose of some lee molds so that the nose would be supported in the large bore. The 308 will have a 1:10 twist and will not shoot cast well much past 2000 fps. The .444 and 45-70 have a good twist for cast 1:20.
    Last edited by calkar; 02-29-2012 at 04:29 PM.

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to bother. I'd rather have a .308 bolt gun anyway.

MJ

Generous Donator

I size for both at .310. Both have been minute of deer accurate at up to 100 yds. I use 311332 HP's and 311334 HP's in the 308 and 311291 HP's in the 30-30. They are running at around 1800 FPS. The deer don't know what hit them anyway.

I'm really looking for minute of angle at 100 yards. Is that possible with a .308 Handi Rifle? There's two choices for H-R barrels in .308 too... a standard and heavy weight. Is there really any difference in performance between the two barrel contours?

MJ

Are you talking m.o.a with cast? The heavy barrel contour will be more rigid with less harmonics.

Barrels are H&R's weak point, probly because Marlin owns them. Micro groove has been applied to a lot of barrels even though with the normal number of grooves. My 45-70 has a .452 bore and .457 grooves. If a Barrel has shallow rifling or goofy dimensions like my 38-55 I consider cutting it off and making a stub out of it and threading a good barrel into the stub. There's always a need for a stub to make a barrel that H&R doesn't offer.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Bub
    I'm struggling with a new BC in .45/70 to get anything to shoot in it. It has the shallower rifling and so far it has baffled me. An older one I had would shoot anything I fed it well, even .45 pistol bullets.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rayc384 View Post
    I'm struggling with a new BC in .45/70 to get anything to shoot in it. It has the shallower rifling and so far it has baffled me. An older one I had would shoot anything I fed it well, even .45 pistol bullets.

Try shooting the largest boolit that will chamber.

Larry

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayc384 View Post
    I'm struggling with a new BC in .45/70 to get anything to shoot in it.
    How much have you shot it so far?
    My handi after 150 or so rounds an a lap job is just starting to come around.
    Thats with jwords too.

Boolit Bub
    I decided to figure the BC out once and for all. It turns out it will not stabilize a bullet that weighs 405+. It would shoot the 340 grain fine, but shot the 425 bullets sized at .460 sideways. I can adjust to this.

Boolit Man
    Just got rid of a 444 that had been laying around for a year because the twist was way over 1 in 20. Was wanting it for subsonic use. Did they make different ones?

The .30-30 Handi is pretty much the most accurate Handi you'll buy. The .444s are SAMMI spec. 1in38.

The .444s are SAMMI spec. 1in38.

The 2007 and later are 1:20"

When I got my xtra barrels fitted, I checked the twist rates with H&R 1871. I wanted a .44 mag to make into a .445 Supermag, but the twist available was 1 in 38 inches. The .444 came with a 1 in 20 inch teist so I ended up buying that. I suspect there might not be a single answer to this. Check the barrel. 1 in 38 probly won't shoot in anything.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Man
    The first of March they all went up $60 or more. Marlin bolt gun not much more than that...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast