MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found pewter at the Goodwill.

Found pewter at the Goodwill.

I found/brought some pewter today at the goodwill. I paid 1.50 for a known pewter pic frame, 0.99 for another pewter pic frame, another pic frame that is soft, heavy, and bendable for 3.00, a suspect pewter cup or mug that has a clear bottom for 2.00, and 0.99 for another pic frame that is bendable and is a silvery gray color. Probably and hopefully at least 2 lbs of good pewter. I will show you a pic as soon as I take a pic, which will be by tomorrow night. What do you think?
    Last edited by letsmeltlead2693; 02-25-2012 at 11:34 PM.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    Good find!
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!
    Ben Franklin

Boolit Grand Master

I think that at this stage of your scrounging career, if it isn't hallmarked pewter, you probably shouldn't buy it.

Hopefully you got lucky with the purchases. Melt the known stuff separately from the unknown.

Boolit Master
    I found a bit at the thrift store yesterday, but, they wanted 12 bucks for a small plate and cup.
    It's still there

Boolit Master
    If it's soft enough to easily bend by hand it is NOT zinc or aluminum. Probably some type of pewter. That is how I test those picture frames, cups, knik nacks, etc... if easily bendable by hand then no zinc or al. Haven't been wrong yet. 10 ga
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Here is a pic of the pewter. It is soft where I can bend it with my hand and it is heavy. The pewter cup has a clear bottom, but it is soft and is easily dented with pliers and I can bend the top part. Two of the picture frames say pewter so I know they are pewter. I think all of the pieces shown in the are pewter. I paid around 7 dollars for 3.8 pounds of this pewter. All of the pic frames are soft enough where I can bend them with my hand.

Boolit Grand Master

The mug looks like pewter from here. Most modern pewter items are lead free, but food items are for sure. Good scrounging.

I'd still melt the unmarked stuff separately, but I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy...

Boolit Master

what do you mix the pewter with and why
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Grand Master

Modern pewter has many alloys, but all of them are 85% or better tin. I use it same as tin and for the same reasons.

I think they are all pewter 'cuz they are dented or scratched easily with pliers. They are heavy and soft. I just melt my pewter I get for fun.

I forgot to mention, these are from 4 DIFFERENT Goodwills.

Boolit Master

Nice finds. I could drive to 4 different Salvation Army stores-but 3 are 20-25 mi. away, the other is 13, all in different directions. I haven't found any pewter picture frames yet, only cups. I use melting point as a confirmation of pewter too, since I picked up a cheap barbecue thermometer.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Bub
    I've found two picture frames that I have been to chicken to try. They are weighty and have the tin crackle. Are there any other alloys with "tin cry" characteristics?

I melted them today. The pewter pic frames made yellowish color ingot. The big 1.5 pound frame made an ingot that looked like babbit not yellow at all but gray. The small frame with stars on it made a paperweight/coin shaped ingot from an ally can. When I hit the clear part on the bottom of the cup with a sledge hammer, it was glass because first it cracked, then shattered. I also smashed the cup with the sledgehammer and it bent easily. Since the cup made yellow ingots like the pewter frames, I melted them together and even melted my pewter ingots I had in with the cup, and pewter frame ingots. I now have 2 pewter muffin ingots, a babbit ingot and coin shaped ingot that also looks like babbit. I have some other coin ingots that I did not melt because they are 97% tin. I will post a pic when I take a pic of them.

Here are the ingots I made today plus the 97% tin disc shaped ingots I have also. I made the 3 muffins and the 1 gray disc today. The gray ones are from some of the pic frames and could they be babbit as they are heavy and melt easy?

Ohio's BEST CCW resource: http://ohioccwforums.org/
    More gold toned = more tin. Tin oxidizes quickly and makes that straw/gold color.
    Due to market fluctuations I am no longer buying range scrap jackets.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

Boolit Master
    The gray ingots are probably closer to pure lead, not babbit.
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

I bought a small ewer/vase thing. did some research and it is supposed to be good pewter.

I can easily bend the lip by hand.

I'll use it as tin.

It is not pure as pure lead is a bluish color. Could it just have a high lead content to make the gray, grainy texture like babbit or lead, tin, and zinc alloy such as high grade potmetal? I think the gray muffin ingot is babbit as I stamped BAB1 for babbit. It is easily scratched but grainy and lighter than lead but heavier than tin or pewter.

Boolit Grand Master

The unmarked picture frames could have been anything. Melt it with a little lead and if it doesn't screw it up, throw the result into your next big melt. If it has a high tin content, it could help and since it didn't destroy the small lead addition, it shouldn't hurt.