Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pawn Shop Hakim

Boolit Master
    And all the brass will have a bend in the middle, size them and load, not pretty but ok. I even shoot LEE's 170+- boolit with a load reduced to operate the bolt by opening up the gas port , it is easier on brass that way to.
    Frank G.

Boolit Master

At the same time Egypt was using the Hakim they were also utlizing the FN49 (SAFN) in 7.92x57 also.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Buddy
    I don't know about the Hakim, but on my Ag-42B Ljungman, that hole on the stock has a brass tag there. It's in 6.5x55 and throws the brass a long ways. Great find at a great price there that you got. Even on the Ljungman the brass is really roughed up. Very nice find indeed.

We took the Hakim out this past weekend, shot it at 200 yards and was knocking the plate around pretty good, but WOW you guys were not kidding about how loud this thing is! We got the rifle cycling just fine and throwing the brass a mile with 150 gr hornady jsp.

Boolit Master

I am amazed at the quality of the machining on mine. Better than some Factory guns.

Someone cut the stock on mine at the second band. Makes a better looking rifle but kills the "original" sale value.

I have had it for 15 years or so and have never fired it.

Once I learned that it would beat up my 8mm brass I decided to let it set.

Could turn the gas off and make it a straight pull funny bolt gun and save my brass.

Oh well gotta find it a home some day.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

I wish I had kept mine. I bought it sometime in the early to mid '90s, and sold it a couple years later because it was so finicky. It was in excellent condition and I'm sure could have been made to function reliably if I had known what I was doing. I think I let some gun show guy talk me out of it for $200, IIRC.

If I remember right it was worse than an M1 if you weren't careful where you had your thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    I am amazed at the quality of the machining on mine. Better than some Factory guns.

Someone cut the stock on mine at the second band. Makes a better looking rifle but kills the "original" sale value.

I have had it for 15 years or so and have never fired it.

Once I learned that it would beat up my 8mm brass I decided to let it set.

Could turn the gas off and make it a straight pull funny bolt gun and save my brass.

Oh well gotta find it a home some day.
    We took some other members suggestions and loaded 150 gr spitzer with 44 grains of IMR 4895, and wrapped some leather around the deflector and adjusted the gas knob to around 8:00. It seems to be a lot easier on the brass and is a really fun conversation piece at the range!

Happy Shooting!, Thomas

Boolit Master
    The case takes a pretty good beating alright but there's a remedy for this. Take a piece of small rubber tubing and separate by making a sprial cut around it, then thread it on the brass deflector. Then adjust the gas port to minimum for reliable operation.
    I bought mine in 1987 for less than $120 but, I made like a pirate and sold it in 1993 for $175. I just looked at one for $850!

Boolit Bub
    The first time I shot mine, I thought something went wrong with it because of the whoosh that comes back in your face when shooting the Hakim. Once I got over that, it is a great shooting gun.

Super Moderator

.............I also have a Hakim. The shellac finish is a bit 'flaky' but the stock itself is solid.

If you've ever heard of "M1 Thumb", it doesn't hold a candle to the Hakim if you get a digit between the bolt carrier (LEFT) and the chamber/gas port (RIGHT). It'll raise a heckuva blood blister

The muzzle brake (LEFT) is very effective, and double plugging (ear plugs AND muffs) is an outstanding idea as it does a swell job The brass deflector (RIGHT) staple on the side of the dust cover also does a great job of mashing casemouths closed. Cut a piece of 1/4" gas hose to length and slit it lengthwise to slip over the staple.

I had an 01 FFL from 1980 to 2000. Hakims were cheap, and Century Arms had 'Cracked stock' Hakims @ $89 each in the early '90s. I have a manual for the Hakim and the last chapter deals with turning one into a scoped carbine. Very racy looking outfit, but I wouldn't have wanted ot be in the same zip coade as the person shooting such a thing.

I also have a Swdish Ag42B (Ljungman) which was the daddy of the Hakim. The Swedes sold all their tooling to the Egyptians in the '50s. Magazines interchange, but the Swede version was a bit more svelte and not quite so clubby. Still noisy as all get out and would also fling very hard to find 6.5x55 brass (at the time it was Norma, CBC, or converting 7x57 only) into the next time zone. Had to have been flinging them 40 feet if it was an inch.

There was an outfit down by San Diego, CA offering 30 round magazines for them so I got 3 of'em, just because. Too much of a good thing so I converted 2 of'em into the regular boring 10 rounders. The Ag42B was kind of spendy at the time at $189. That included a bayonet and a tool roll. Later on you could buy a tool roll bay itself for $19. Since it included 2 extractors and springs, and 2 firing pins and springs, plus some other tools and doo-dads they were a good deal.

I don't think I've shot the Swede since we moved to town, and that was about 12 years ago this Sept. Last summer there was a nice looking Hakim in the local Turners priced at $450. I almost bought it for the shear novelty of having 2 of'em

..................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12