RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pawn Shop Hakim

Pawn Shop Hakim

Found a nice Hakim at a pawn shop. We traded a nice cz50 pistol and $250 for it. We fired it today and it shot awesome with hand loads, it was ripping the rims right off the czech ammo (only fired about 5 of those). So we pulled the czech bullets and loaded them with 41.5 of IMR 4895 after scrubing the chamber with a 45 brush and degreaser, the gun shot flawlessly. Here are some pictures of the stock, we cannot figure out what the holes in the stock are for, doesn't look like a sporter job. If any of you can tell us what the holes are for, or just any misc info about the hakim, we would appreciate it. Also if any of you have any good loads, that would help too.

Boolit Master

Maybe the holes are for a bipod or sling swivel?

Sorry, no help but a really cool gun!
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

That is a sweet find, I'd like to have one.
    Life's hard, even harder if your stupid.

Thanks for the replys, it sure is fun to shoot!

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Those holes may be drain holes for water.....not uncommon on military rifles. The only fly in that theory is that the Hakim is from Egypt............and it doesn't rain much there!

I CAN tell you that the Hakim gas system is a virtual copy of the Swedish Ljungman (sp?).....direct gast impingement on the mechanism. The M16 uses basically the same setup.

Very intresting, thank you for the info.

,Thomas

Boolit Buddy
    Congrats! If you did not know it already, the Hakim has an adjustable gas port, it is the small metal triangle in the top of the handguard about 2" behind the middle barrel band. When the point of the triangle is pointing to the rear at 6 o'clock the gas if full open. At the 9 o'clock position (pointing left) it is closed. Once upon a time adjustment tools were available, try your luck with a google search. Be advised that extractors were scarce 5 years ago and today may be nearly unobtainium.....
    As to the holes, the ones in the forend are not original, so take your best guess for a previous owner's accessory. The large spot in the right butt was for the brass unit marking disc.
    This reminds me that I still need to take mine out for its first firing. So far I have been too lazy to work up some non corrosive loads and I have not wanted to clean up after shooting surplus.

Boolit Master

I concur on Oldeyes with the holes and disc. Enjoy your rifle!

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

lol, yeah we already read up on it and have already seen the video, we were mostly just looking for info on the holes and load data, due to its picky apatite.

Thanks, Thomas

Boolit Master
    Thomas,

I had been looking for a good Hakim for about four years before I finally had a good one cross my path last summer. To be honest, I haven't found it to be fussy at all, since it was designed with the adjustable gas port to accommodate a wide range of available ammo.

Mine happens to love 150gr soft-point J-words sitting on top of Varget. PM me if you want the exact recipe. Currently, I'm looking for a good cast boolit that will feed well in that rifle, if I get one, I'll let you know.

Love it, load it, and have fun shooting that old rifle.

Is 8mm mauser the original chambering for the Hakims or did century arms convert them like they did with the mas 49/56's?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    That is how a Hakim treats brass. It is not a friend to the reloader. But fun to shoot!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OTThomas View Post
    Is 8mm mauser the original chambering for the Hakims or did century arms convert them like they did with the mas 49/56's?
    IIRC the Hakim was in 7.92X57 from the begining. The Egyptians used the Mauser cartridge for quite some time.
    Egypt also used the Enfields in .303 to some extent, but the .303 rimmed cartridge was problematic for auto loader rifles. It worked okay in the BREN Gun but that was in great part due to the gravity assist of the top mounted magazine, along with the care taken in preloading the magazines.
    Its not that uncommon for the rim of the .303 to cause problems when filling the Enfield magazine in a hurry.
    Rimless cartridges are just better for autoloader rifles, especially those that have to be reloaded from the top in a hurry.

Near as I can tell there was never a truly successful autoloading infantry rifle chambered in .303 British, or any rimmed cartridge other than the Russian 7.62X54R .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OTThomas View Post
    The Hakim was originally 7.92x57mm (AKA 8mm Mauser). The various Arab countries were well supplied with '98 Mausers and ammo at the end of WW II, in fact the entire Middle East was (in great irony, Israel obtained fairly significant numbers of K98s).

Not all the MAS rifles were "converted" to 7.62 NATO, I don't know how many, but many were sold in the original 7.5x54mm (which is why Prvi Partizan brass is available now).

Ed

You may find yourself unpopular with other folks at the range. That thing is LOUD.
    "During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Man, I would love to have that wood on mine,
    I got the brass disc- but no extra holes.
    Nice find and a hell of a PRICE.
    casca1
    " BRING DOWN THIS WALL"
    President Ronald Reagan

Magazines

You can't get too many magazines for them either!
    A German WW1 machine gun (Mg-13??) magazines are easily converted.
    Some years back these magazines were available in boxes of eight or ten for about $10 @.
    Conversion instructions are found by googling.
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...-MORE-New-PICS
    I see they are about $20@ now.
    Have one which is currently in need of some TLC.
    Maybe next week? Or week after or---.
    Good shooting.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunterldh View Post
    You may find yourself unpopular with other folks at the range. That thing is LOUD.
    Yep! Better carry a .30 carbine revolver with you too, just to keep the noise quotient up!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master
    The empty brass will go about as far as the bullets will.

Ben

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast