Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Improved Minie for Elk

Boolit Bub

Improved Minie for Elk

I'm wondering if this boolit would be appropriate for Elk. It seems to me that if the 360 gr shoots good it should be fine. Anyone shooting this boolit? Thanks, Ken

Boolit Master at Heavens Range Bob Krack's Avatar
    Ohio for a while Kalifornia then who knows where - Missouri?
    I don't think I know what an "improved minie" is, but I would certainly think a 360 gr boolit at reasonable velocity, placed properly, would do in most any elk.

Bob
    I was always taught to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any!

Μολὼν λαβέ; approximate Classical Greek pronunciation [molɔ̀ːn labé], Modern Greek [moˈlon laˈve]), meaning "Come and take them" is a classical expression of defiance reportedly by King Leonidas in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae.

Boolit Master
    I shoot that boolit in NEF with a 1/28 twist ahead of 70 grs of fffg for around 1150 fps. That's about as fast as I can go and still be accurate. I sometimes hunt with 80 grs which is still usable.
    With a slower twist I believe this boolit could be pushed faster but I personally would be very comfortable putting one of these in an elks armpit if the range wasn't too long.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Master
    Hmmmmmmmm?

I generally think of a mini as something softer with a hollow base.

Am I correct or not.

Personally, I want a heavy cast boolit with a WFN and I have zero need for any expansion of any kind.

Fact is, I don't want any.

On an elk sized critter I'd fear that if push came to shove, there would not be enough boolit integrity to get er done.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Master
    An original style mini works quite well on elk too. Been there, done that with a 2-band Parker Hale Enfield but the rifle is too heavy and too pretty to take out in the monsoons of the Pac NW anymore.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty Deary Ol'Coot View Post
    Hmmmmmmmm?

I generally think of a mini as something softer with a hollow base.

Am I correct or not.

Personally, I want a heavy cast boolit with a WFN and I have zero need for any expansion of any kind.

Fact is, I don't want any.

On an elk sized critter I'd fear that if push came to shove, there would not be enough boolit integrity to get er done.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
    Reading between the lines here. Are you saying that this boolit might just splatter on a shoulder? The boolit has a deep concave base and a round nose. Ken

Boolit Master
    joken,

I'm kind of ask'in here, Keep hoping to learn more and more.

But I come down big on boolit/bullet integrity and have just been so very impressed with the harder cast boolits with the WFN design that I really don't want to get anywhere close to a boolit that is possibly lesser in integrity.

With this boolit, I have no need of expansion of any kind, nor do I want any!

Took a very large cow elk with a quartering shot during the 2011 season, about 100 yds and 1600 - 1700 fps with a WFN 465gr boolit and is was VERY Impressed.

I bought into the WFN design when I started with the 45/70, and the wound channel is just far and away bigger/deeper then I had ever expected with a non-expanding boolit. AWESOME, with no blow up and no expansion needed.

One thing I have noted is the size of the entry point of the projectal.

After hunting for many years with "J" expanding bullets, and always having a tiny hole through the hide at the point of entry, the WFN even though at a much lower velocity then the "J" bullets, is clearly doing business from the first moment of contact with the critter.

Then it just keeps going and going and going and doing it's thing.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Buddy
    Remember that the sharps buffalo rifles used SOFT lead boolits to kill off about 55 million of them BIG criutters. And if I remember right buffalo are just a mite bigger than elk. There is no doubt in my mind that within their range thos emini balls will kill elk DED!

T-o-m who thinks them armor plated games animals are just a myth

Boolit Bub
    Me and my hunting partners shoot the 385gr Hornady Great Plains It's a swaged bullet. Its a Elk killer for sure. I just got the improved minie mold from Lee and it makes a real pretty boolit. I was just curious about them. I need to find out how they shoot in my guns. Ken

Banned

having seen 58 cal round balls put down an elk easily with good placement.
    i think you'd be fine.
    i'd be looking for an off shoulder or punching through the front ribs.
    even a neck/spine junction.
    or taking out the liver if given the chance.
    but i do with my centerfire rifles anyways.

Boolit Master
    HI,
    The 58 cal. does just fine with pure lead on elk.
    Even a spire point conical killed a 5 point bull for me at 150 yds. , No fuss No muss.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joken View Post
    Me and my hunting partners shoot the 385gr Hornady Great Plains It's a swaged bullet. Its a Elk killer for sure. I just got the improved minie mold from Lee and it makes a real pretty boolit. I was just curious about them. I need to find out how they shoot in my guns. Ken
    Just curious, what kind of gun are you shooting these in?
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Crusty,

While I'm a huge fan of hard cast, they are alittle hard to shove into a muzzle loader.

Joken,

I shoot the Hornady Great Plains Conical bullets also. In my wifes 50 cal and my 54 cal they are extremly accurate. I wish I could find a mold and cast that bullet.
    My avatar is me with a mulie I shot at 165 yards with my 54cal Knight inline.

Key
    "Hatred is the cowards answer for being intimidated"

Boolit Master
    Oh ya, a front stuffer!

CDOC

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfer View Post
    Just curious, what kind of gun are you shooting these in?
    Remington 700's

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyston44 View Post
    Crusty,

While I'm a huge fan of hard cast, they are alittle hard to shove into a muzzle loader.

Joken,

I shoot the Hornady Great Plains Conical bullets also. In my wifes 50 cal and my 54 cal they are extremly accurate. I wish I could find a mold and cast that bullet.
    My avatar is me with a mulie I shot at 165 yards with my 54cal Knight inline.

Key
    I think the Lyman Plains mold is the closest.

Moderator Emeritus

I have personal knowledge that a 50 cal RB will do the job. No reason a heavier projectile would not.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I thought they were talkin mini 14, lol, just had to check.