RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Holy **** H&G mould for $409.15

Boolit Master

Holy **** H&G mould for $409.15

WOW, A NOS 41 cal, H&G mould went for $409.35 on Ebay yesterday! I'm kind of glad I got beat. I was way over my head and struggling to justify it.
    "There's a Fine Line Between Hobby and Mental Illness"!

Boolit Grand Master
    256 or 258?

For that price, I believe I would just order a new one from Ballisticast.

Robert

Boolit Master
    It was a 258. I have looked at the Baliticast web sight and the numbers seem to be completely different than H&G numbers?
    "There's a Fine Line Between Hobby and Mental Illness"!

Add 600 to the H&G number to get the Ballisti-Cast one. A 258 H&G is 858.

Boolit Master

What was the auction number please.
    OH!! I saw it , it was just a 4 cavity mould
    I was thinking it might have been an 8 cavity mould
    Mike

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hensley-Gibb...item1e6b5cf845
    Last edited by skeettx; 02-25-2012 at 09:02 PM.

Boolit Master
    Im new to molds and casting, so why would this mold sell for so much?

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    If I remember right it was a four cavity that look like new . The same seller had two other four cavity in like new condition as well that went pretty reasonable .

Jack

Boolit Master

I saw 30 cal gas checks (1000) for 29.99 by a seller on that other place. Midway has the same for 26.99. There is a Star 452 lube sizer for right at $50.00 -- what's the price from Magma? Like $41.00 isn't it? How about Lathesmith? I can't tell you how many times I have seen people pay way over retail for used stuff there. Maybe there are people who live in places where they can't get stuff, I don't know. Weird stuff.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty SRH View Post
    Im new to molds and casting, so why would this mold sell for so much?
    I din't open the link, slow dial-up.

Hensley & Gibbs were perhaps the best mold makers. I have only ever used one H&G mold, a 256 and it positively rained boolits when opened, there were no issues with the mold.

The thing is, unless someone bought it for a collection, as soon as he heats it up and makes one cast with it, it is a used mold.

Somehow I don't think these molds were meant to be setting on a shelf until the end of time, they were meant to be used.

Robert

Boolit Master

H&G molds go for top dollar because, in my opinion, they are by far the best molds I have.
    I do not have any high dollar custom molds, but they are far superior to any production molds I own....dale

Ditto, I was given a gift by a member here....a H & G # 50 ,for 50bucks, whose boolits I shot last night.

It has changed my perception of what I want to buy. I want every single one these molds. lol.

Yes, IT RAINS BOOLITS. I understand now, how commercial hand casters , actually made production boolits with these.....these molds MADE IT POSSIBLE.

As far as Ebay crazy price people, it is part of the game with them,,,,winning. Let them be, it is their fun.....remember ...YOU play with lead, and melt **** into boolits, some people wouldn't understand that...and call YOU crazy.

Boolit Buddy

H&G prices

If you think those prices are high just look at my asking price on a Custom Matched Pair of 8 cavity H&G moulds In previous swap & sell offering.
    With a pair of 8's I can drain a Pro Melt furnace in short order.
    These moulds were manufactured by true craftsmen and were meant to last your lifetime plus your children's lifetime. One particular mould, #68 in 6 cavity paid for my trips to Gunsite in 1982 , 1987, and 1989. I worked at a printshop and got fresh LIno at 5 cents a pound. Those were the days!

The eBay seller had several Nos moulds. All were factory new. Her dad had purchased them and never used them.

The one I purchased is absolutely new. Four cavity. The bullets drop like shelled peas. Weights are about a tenth of a grain apart.

Tom
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

http://www.hensleygibbs.com

I have a number of H&G molds they are well made and will last a lifetime but not worth $410.

I sold about a dozen 6c-8c-10c H&G molds about 3 years ago on ebay and thought I got a lot then

RCBS without a doubt makes the best factory mold today, if they made them 4c 6c they would be the name in molds.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ballisti-cast View Post
    Add 600 to the H&G number to get the Ballisti-Cast one. A 258 H&G is 858.
    Have you considered going back to using the original H&G numbers for their moulds? I don't know why they ever changed the numbers, but if it was due to an agreement with H&G at the time of the purchase of the equipment they bought, I would think that at this point in time that the agreement wouldn't still be valid. I think this would end lots of confusion for people familiar with the H&G numbers, and not familiar with the Ballisti-cast numbering system.

I'm really excited to hear that you're going to be adding brass and aluminum moulds to your lineup! Not so much for the aluminum ones (although they would be nice when using an 8 or 10 cavity mould!), but rather the brass ones. I think brass is the finest mould material, and I think I better start saving up now for when you start making brass moulds, as I'm going to have buy some of them!

Have you considered adding a sprue cam lever to your moulds? I have a SAECO 8 cavity mould that I recently added a sprue cam lever to, and that turned the mould into one that's really a pleasure to cast with! Considering that I don't think anyone out there could open an 8 cavity mould just using a gloved hand like you can with a 4 cavity mould, along with the fact that a properly casting mould doesn't need any tapping on the handles to release the boolits, with the cam lever added the mallet can be put away! Even a 4 cavity mould can benefit from a cam lever, yesterday I used the sprue plate / cam lever combo made by Red River Rick for the Lyman 4 cavity moulds, and once again, it totally changed the casting experience of the mould to one that was a joy to use! Sorry about drifting off topic, but I think these suggestions would be good ones.
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Vendor Sponsor

Maybe I should start selling on e-bay
    www.mp-molds.com
    --------------------------------------
    If you want to win, you must not lose

Boolit Master
    Out of curiosity, and without try to hijack the thread, how do you guys think that the Balisti-cast molds compare to the H&Gs???
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texasflyboy View Post
    The eBay seller had several Nos moulds. All were factory new. Her dad had purchased them and never used them.

The one I purchased is absolutely new. Four cavity. The bullets drop like shelled peas. Weights are about a tenth of a grain apart.

Tom
    Yes, absolutely unused. I purchased the 38 cal round nose mold from her, as I didn't own one of those. Which did you get? The 30 caliber rifle mold went for really cheap, but I had no use for it. First unused H & G mold I have found that I could actually afford. Went for the price of a Saeco or a Ballicast. Regardless of how good the Ballicast are, they just don't have the collector value of the H & G molds and never will - at least not in our lifetime.
    In these parts, often one's very life may depend on a mere scrap of information.

Quote Originally Posted by shotstring View Post
    . Which did you get?
    This one. It wasn't on eBay.

http://www.hensleygibbs.com

Boolit Buddy
    Sweet. Have never even seen an unused #115 mold. I have a couple of 10 cavity #115s that are my heavy production 9mm molds, but they are far from unused, although the cavities on both molds are still perfect.

Know what little I do about your H & G collecting, you probably got it at a very good price too. That is the problem for most of us - Ebay has some molds from time to time, but they go for top dollar too. Wish I could afford to travel around the country a bit to find some deals at the shows, the shops and estates. At least I have pretty much what I need though, even though I paid pretty dearly for some of it.
    Last edited by shotstring; 02-28-2012 at 07:38 PM.
    In these parts, often one's very life may depend on a mere scrap of information.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast