Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Upgrade the sights on a Yugo M24/47...

Boolit Master

Upgrade the sights on a Yugo M24/47...

I say upgrade because while they work, they are hard for my eye to see and while I'm sure they are good for their intended use they also aren't so great at target shooting. Surely I'm not the first to do this so I'm looking for suggestions others have tried.

As of now I would like to keep it to non gunsmithing as in no drilling or welding.

For the rear sight I'm mostly settled on the Mojo click adjustable sight. The only thing stopping me from buying it is I want to make sure I match up the front sight.

But for a front sight I'm lost. I want something fine enough to be thought of as more target grade. I like the aperture front sights like Lyman makes but wouldn't that make the front too tall?

Or is there an even better option???

Mojo also makes a front sight. If you want a Lyman 17 type sight, Lee Shaver makes several heights with a level in them. MVA also makes a hooded aperature sight and you can get the aperature retaining clip with or without the level.
    rr2241tx
    Timin' has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Boolit Master

I personally have gone to a Lyman 48 rear aperture sight for all my Mausers but you said no drilling so good luck on the Mojo which is your best option that way.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Buddy

I have a k98. I used to worry about the sights too, but hey - I can keep a full magazine on a 5" wide by 5 1/2" high silhouette at 100 yards. What's not to like? Those issue sights are the definition of rugged - it takes a hammer to move them! Service sights for a service rifle. Bill.

Boolit Master

Now that I see there is a matching Mojo front sight I think I'm going to go that route. Thanks to all.

Boolit Master

There are a few options to Scout scope your gun and you don't have to drill and tap....just a thought. Brass stacker makes one and there is a cheap version available for about $28.
    Before you get the sight, look at your front sight in relation to the rear sight and receiver. My front sight was canted to the left a few degrees, I got a Lyman 57 for mine and it bothered me to no end that the front sight was off. I decided to put the scout scope on it and looking forward to sighting it in.

Boolit Master

I usually only change to a taller front sight.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

I've taken to scout position mounts for either scopes or red-dots for a lot of my guns due to aging eyes no longer liking iron sights.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy
    Those sights are hard for everyone to see until they get used to them. They are different but can be very accurate if you put in the time. Maybe give it a couple hundred rounds as is. You might pick up a new skill set.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Lyman's missing the boat here.........I have an early Lyman rear micrometer target sight that fastens over the ejector box, using the same screw. The only modification I had to make on my Yugo was to remove a tiny bit of wood under the ejector box. Easy to install and designed for virtually any Mauser pattern action. The fly in the ointment? I don't think it's been made since the early sixties.

With the number of surplus Mausers that have been imported over the last 25 years, you'd think Lyman would dust off the plans and manufacture that sight once again, maybe from modern materials.

Boolit Master
    Have this on my SKS http://www.tech-sights.com/

3006 guns: The people running Lyman nowadays are pretty much just corporate pukes that know little or nothing about the products.

I got into it with the Head of Marketing (A Woman) at the SHOT Show last year about producing Steel Receiver Sights again. Specifically 66 series sights for Leverguns, and 48 series sights for Springfield and Mauser rifles. All of the 66 series sight have the same top piece and use slightly different lower blocks to accommodate the different Leverguns. A NEW IN BOX Lyman 66LA rountinely goes for $150+ on bay and are in high demand.

The #48 Series sights for Springfields and Mausers Routinely break $250 for nicer ones and I recently saw a #48C NIB go for $450!

She was having none of it!!!! She kept saying that everybody wants a scope on their rifle and nobody wanted Receiver Sights anymore, which as we know is complete BS. Also it is BS because Lyman still manufactures 66 and 57 series sights out of aluminum, and these sights are virtually identical to the Steel ones except for the material, in fact many of the parts are interchangeable! So ***

The aluminum sights are priced at around $75-80. allowing for the extra machine time a price of $90-100 would bring their sales back instantly. I would pay that for a new steel sight in a heartbeat rather than waiting to win one off Ebay.

I think most people who know anything about guns and these sights would agree with me?

She didn't! And I mentioned this very fact to her boss that I ran into shortly after my conversation with her but while I was still steaming!

Marketing people seldom understand the products they sell. They tend to look at surveys and studies that always seem to ask the wrong questions. There are obviously some who do know but the majority are simply Corporate Pukes that go to a Job they hate everyday.

In other words they don't care about what they do. I think this is one of the biggest problems with our country. IE people that don't give a ship!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Her Survey's are of the 20-30 something's I'd bet.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    3006 guns: The people running Lyman nowadays are pretty much just corporate pukes that know little or nothing about the products.

I got into it with the Head of Marketing (A Woman) at the SHOT Show last year about producing Steel Receiver Sights again. Specifically 66 series sights for Leverguns, and 48 series sights for Springfield and Mauser rifles. All of the 66 series sight have the same top piece and use slightly different lower blocks to accommodate the different Leverguns. A NEW IN BOX Lyman 66LA rountinely goes for $150+ on bay and are in high demand.

The #48 Series sights for Springfields and Mausers Routinely break $250 for nicer ones and I recently saw a #48C NIB go for $450!

She was having none of it!!!! She kept saying that everybody wants a scope on their rifle and nobody wanted Receiver Sights anymore, which as we know is complete BS. Also it is BS because Lyman still manufactures 66 and 57 series sights out of aluminum, and these sights are virtually identical to the Steel ones except for the material, in fact many of the parts are interchangeable! So ***

The aluminum sights are priced at around $75-80. allowing for the extra machine time a price of $90-100 would bring their sales back instantly. I would pay that for a new steel sight in a heartbeat rather than waiting to win one off Ebay.

I think most people who know anything about guns and these sights would agree with me?

She didn't! And I mentioned this very fact to her boss that I ran into shortly after my conversation with her but while I was still steaming!

Marketing people seldom understand the products they sell. They tend to look at surveys and studies that always seem to ask the wrong questions. There are obviously some who do know but the majority are simply Corporate Pukes that go to a Job they hate everyday.

In other words they don't care about what they do. I think this is one of the biggest problems with our country. IE people that don't give a ship!

Randy
    That's disheartening to say the least. I think if I found myself in that situation, I would have stared at her with a pathetic look and told her...."You really don't know much about firearms or your customer base, do you? So, tell me, if you're father in law died tomorrow would you have to look for real work?"

If the opportunity to talk to her boss presented itself I'd have made double darn (insert expletive) sure that he was aware that her attitude is what chases customers away.

My Lyman sight was mixed in with a box of others that I inherited years ago. Fortunately, I have a very good friend who's an old time gunsmith and he told me what it was and advised me to keep it. I stashed it in a drawer and then finally mounted it on my shortened Yugo. The advantage over the military open sights was VERY apparent the first time I shot it. The group size was cut in half.

Boolit Master

I once had dinner around 1988 with the CEO of Kimber when they were still located in Oregon. He claimed to be proud of the Kimber rifle line, but when queried on the the more esoteric details of function and shooting, he was stuck in the mud. His lack of gun knowledge was most disappointing coming from the head of a firearms company. He had no military, hunting or competitive shooting background.

This whole Harvard MBA method of management and not leadership has led to the downfall of more than one company and was probably the reason Winchester fell a foul of the shooting fraternity in 1964 and the fall of Colt from their previously renowned position.

Over the years, I bought several used Redfield and Lyman aperture sights at bargain prices at gun shops and gun shows for future use. I manage to find use for one or two now and then and I'm glad I've got 'em in the sight box now.

I'm working with a local gunsmith now to replace the bolt stop on Mausers to one that will take the older Lyman sights and still allow the bolt to be removed from the rifle as needed. Like the old Lyman sight mentioned above, this will allow me to use the Lyman sight without drilling and tapping the receiver of a valuable military rifle.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 10-25-2014 at 02:21 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf