Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: #225415 mold

Banned

#225415 mold

ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THE .22 MOLD MENTIONED. BEST CAST BULLET FOR .22 CARTRIDGES?? dd

Boolit Master

I have one and it is the best Lyman mold that I have bought in the last 10 years or so. Won't be buying anymore Lyman molds if that tells you anything. Back to the 225415 it shots very well in my 14" twist Sako. As for the best cast bullet for 22 cartridges I don't know every rifle is different but it is pretty darn good one.

Richard

Boolit Grand Master

I gotta agree with rhbrink, it is the only new Lyman mold that I have bought within 10 years too. It worked perfectly for me and gives me the best all around accuracy for a variety of 22's including the K-Hornet, 222, 223 and 219 DWasp. Some molds give me slightly better accuracy in certain cartridges but the 415 is a good design.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I have the old version that casts at 48gr and it shoots great in my .223 and in a Hornet I once owned. The FN is good for small game.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master

IMO, the 225415 and the RCBS 22-55-SP are the only two bullet moulds comercially available for .222s and .223s that work well. The Lyman 225438 works well for the Hornet. Now, my shooting has been with 1-12 twist rifles so if your twist is faster, these may not work and you'll have to seek a longer bullet./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master
    Hello, donald duck..as Jeff said, there are two versions. I have had very good results with the 48gr. in a Hornet. This little bulllet was brought out in the early 1930's for the Baby Neidner..a wildcat based on the .32-20 case (pre-dates Winchesters .218 Bee).
    A very good bullet for .222 Rem. and no doubt the .223 is the SAECO #221.

Boolit Buddy
    I have one in single cavity. I've only used it a little (maybe 300 cast) and shot fewer (maybe 100).
    I tried a few loads in .223 to see if it would do anything with the 1-7 twist. That same barrel didn't do very well with a .22 conversion, so I had doubts. It did OK, but I only went to 50 yards.
    I tried one load in a .221 Fireball rifle and it did pretty well.