Load DataInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The complete list of Hensley & Gibbs Bullet Molds

The complete list of Hensley & Gibbs Bullet Molds

After years of effort, and with the invaluable contribution recently by Wayne Gibbs, I have all of the required information to publish a complete list of the vast majority of Hensley & Gibbs Bullet molds that were manufactured from 1933 to 1999. The numerical list starts with #1 and ends with #938, and mold numbering does have gaps.

I have paper records, including Wayne's recently compiled factory records that he just sent me via snail mail. I will be transferring the data to my access database and will publish a new website showing the information, hopefully by summer's end.

As always, photos of the H&G molds that you own are always appreciated for the website.

Texasflyboy
    June 2005

http://www.hensleygibbs.com
    Last edited by Texasflyboy; 04-17-2014 at 12:32 PM.

Super Moderator

............Wow, lottsa work there. That's neat information and it looks as if you're doing a fine job. Great resource.

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Thumbs up

Nice job!

Boolit Mold
    I'm looking for information on H&G .45 Cal 4 or 6 cavity mould #68. Also a .45 cal 185gr SWC 4 or 6 cavity mould. I am a Bullseye shooter and would like to get into casting my own bullets. Any information would be appreciated. I live in Sherwood ,Oregon.

Quote Originally Posted by Col-Freckels View Post
    Any information would be appreciated. I live in Sherwood ,Oregon.
    What do you want to know? Hensley & Gibbs closed their doors in 1999. They are long gone.

Where to get the moulds? The answer is eBay.

#68's and #130's (the 185gr. SWC you inquired about) are two of the most popular and frequently appearing moulds on eBay, albeit in 4 cavity. Based on my research, there are at least 10 4 cavity moulds out there for each 6 cavity or larger for #68 and #130. The largest size in .45 caliber would be an 8 cavity mould and in #68 and #130 they can be hard to find.

Based on recent activity on the auction sites, I would estimate the value of 4 cavity moulds at:

#68 - $200
    #130 - $150 - $175.00

Six cavities in the same styles would be $250 on up.

Based on hard evidence, Hensley and Gibbs moulds are appreciating in value by more than 10% + yearly, especially some of the more popular mould styles.

Tom in NC
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Boolit Buddy
    Hi Guy
    Are there any moulds in particular that you need pics for ?

Galena Guru

what happened to this link ??
    Schamankungulo

Matt. 5:14-16

GMCS USN ret.

Appalachian American Clinging to my bible,my guns and my H&G moulds

Galena Guru

Thanks
    Schamankungulo

Matt. 5:14-16

GMCS USN ret.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Col-Freckels View Post
    I'm looking for information on H&G .45 Cal 4 or 6 cavity mould #68. Also a .45 cal 185gr SWC 4 or 6 cavity mould. I am a Bullseye shooter and would like to get into casting my own bullets. Any information would be appreciated. I live in Sherwood ,Oregon.
    Check out Ballisti-Cast (www.ballisti-cast.com). They are now producing the H&G designs. I have their #668 plain base, which is the H&G #68 (Ballisti-Cast just added 600 to the old H&G number, so the H&G 130 design is Ballisti-Cast's #730, for example). I ordered my 2 cavity two years ago and they were very helpful over the phone, with e-mail followups, to make sure I had the diameter I wanted with the alloy I was planning to use and after the mold arrived, to make sure I was happy with it. Took 2 weeks from my first call to when the mold arrived.

Definitely worth the extra few bucks. The .45 ACP molds are on page 6 of their online catalog (http://www.ballisti-cast.com/Bullet%...20Page%206.htm).

Boolit Bub
    I had a gun shop in the late70s and early 80s and cast bullets to help make ends meet. I bought them all from Wayne Gibbs between 77 and around 84. In most cases, I have 2s of everything except #68 and I think I have 6 of them. Last time I looked at them, they were in fair to good condition. With all that said, can some one give me a ball park figure on about what each might be worth and I understand this is a sight unseen estimate. Here are the numbers.7,50,27,51,268,503, 68, 34, 292, and 501.

Boolit Bub
    I forgot something, these are all 8 and 10 cavity molds and if some one could steer Texasflyboy my way I would appreciate it.

stephen perry

Ideal Molds

Nice if somebody had complete info on Ideal molds. I have all the pictures from Lyman/Ideal Casting manuals. Like to have some production numbers and molds that were protoype, less than 100 sold.

Lots of work on the H&G molds.

Stephen Perry
    Angeles BR

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg70 View Post
    i had a gun shop in the late70s and early 80s and cast bullets to help make ends meet. I bought them all from wayne gibbs between 77 and around 84. In most cases, i have 2s of everything except #68 and i think i have 6 of them. Last time i looked at them, they were in fair to good condition. With all that said, can some one give me a ball park figure on about what each might be worth and i understand this is a sight unseen estimate. Here are the numbers.7,50,27,51,268,503, 68, 34, 292, and 501.
    my guess is @ 65$ to 75 each or 650$ -750 for all 10

Boolit Grand Master

Excellent information, thanks for your efforts as this will be a valuable reference in the future.

Larry Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by stephen perry View Post
    Nice if somebody had complete info on Ideal molds. I have all the pictures from Lyman/Ideal Casting manuals. Like to have some production numbers and molds that were protoype, less than 100 sold.
    Stephen Perry
    Angeles BR
    Have you ever seen this list from Yahoo groups?

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/CB-L/message/18995
    N.R.A. Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    I've got a n H&G mold that I can't quite identify. It is a 2 cavity , with two different bullets. on the outside the mold is marked 99 119. I would assume that each # corresponds to each bullet. I saw a #99 mold in your info, but did'nt see a #119. any way if you have any info on this mold I would appreciate it.

Boolit Master
    #119 if you look at the 1940 catalog on his site is a 30 cal 150 gr flat point. Maybe Texasflyboy might have some more info on it.
    Lyman 22596,225107,225353,225438,225415,225450,225646, 225462,228367,244203,245496,245497,245498,245499 RCBS 22-55-SP,22-55-FP,243-95-SP,243-100-FP, NEI 100244GC-#14, 55 224 GC-#4,225 45-#3 PB, NOE 22-055 SP,MX2-243,Saeco 221 & 243, RD TLC225-50-RF,Lee 22 Bator 6c & 2c HP. Love casting small boolits, let me know if you have one that I don't that you would part with!

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyJohn View Post
    I've got a n H&G mold that I can't quite identify. It is a 2 cavity , with two different bullets. on the outside the mold is marked 99 119. I would assume that each # corresponds to each bullet. I saw a #99 mold in your info, but did'nt see a #119. any way if you have any info on this mold I would appreciate it.
    #119 is a .30 Caliber 150 grain gas check flat point. It's depicted in the 1940 catalog on the site:

Hensley & Gibbs 1940 Catalog (PDF file)

I will add it to the ledger on the next ledger update.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast