WidenersRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Lyman mould #358242

Boolit Buddy

Lyman mould #358242

It shows 2 weights 92gr and 121gr does it have a hollow base thingy that makes it lighter?
    I see a few for sale all the time but do not have the hollow base with it.

The 92 gr is shorter and has one less lube groove.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by nascarkent View Post
    The 92 gr is shorter and has one less lube groove.
    The book I have shows the same # for both the 92 and the 121 thats why I am wondering.
    {ie} if they both share the same part# how do you know what one you have/ordered

anachronism
    You must ask first. I have a SC 92 gr & it's not marked either, but the box is plainly marked.

Le Loup Solitaire

Lyman #358242

It is an older design with the shorter version weighing around 92 grains.The longer version is around 120 grains and has been fairly popular for use in the 9mm. I have also used the heavier version in the 38 special. It casts easily and I imagine that both versions would use the same top and seating punches. LLS

Boolit Grand Master
    What LLS said. It is a fine 9mm boolit in its longer/heavier version.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

I have both of the 358242s. On mine, the lighter one is marked in stamping on the side 92 gr. in the same lettering that the number is stamped in.

Neither of them are hollow base.

The 92 geain does fine in a .380 Auto and the 125 (actually 121 graon does well in the 9mm./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Grand Master

I just bought a mold from Old Goat, cast up a few hundred a couple days ago. Single
    lube groove and it is stamped on the side of the mold "90 gr" from the factory. Mine
    came out at about 94 gr. I have not shot any yet.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    The 92g and the 120 are both good designs. The 92g is loved by my 380 Bersa, and the 120 is loved by my 9s...
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

So. To clear this up, the 92 Grn has one lube groove and the 120 has two????

Roy
    Hooker53

Boolit Master

I have recently gotten the 120 grain version and see that it is also listed for the 380 acp. This is definitely a "heavy" boolit for the little 380, but I plan to give it a try. Anyone had any success with it for their 380 acp?
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I have both the 92 and the 120 gr. versions as well. I use the both in 38 Colt Short/Long - the 121 gr works great in my 9mm and 38s too. I probably use more of the 121 gr. versions now than anything else I cast up. 92 gr. has one lube groove - 120 gr. has 2 lube grooves. I got the 92 gr. to use in .380 - haven't loaded any yet as I got rid of my 380 semi and will eventually pick another one up. I love both of 'em.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smoked turkey View Post
    I have recently gotten the 120 grain version and see that it is also listed for the 380 acp. This is definitely a "heavy" boolit for the little 380, but I plan to give it a try. Anyone had any success with it for their 380 acp?
    I did not have success with the heavy version in 380 cartridges. It will shoot, but the difference in POA/POI was in the order of 8 inches high and 4 inches left at seven yards when fired from a Walther PPK/s. I had similar results using heavy for caliber boolits in my Beretta Tomcat. The lighter version works very well, but I have replaced it in my loading with the RD 358-100 TC which is a six cavity mold. Lee makes a similar mold , TL 356-95 TC, in a 6 cavity also. You get a lot ​of boolits per pot when casting these smaller boolits.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.