RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Solo 1000 vs. Bullseye

Boolit Buddy

Solo 1000 vs. Bullseye

Some shooting buddies have been extolling the virtues of Solo 1000, saying its so much cleaner than Bullseye, and shoots just as well for only an extra .1 grain of powder over the Bullseye charge weight. These guys are all shooting jacketed bullets in .45 ACP. Does anyone have any experience with this powder using lead projectiles in a .38 or .45 at 700-800 fps??

Thanks in advance!

Eck

Of COURSE I do.

It s indeed a very clean-burning powder. It is also a low density (fluffy) flake with low position sensitivity. I load it exactly as I would Bullseye in the same charge weights, and get virtually the same velocities. I have loaded it in five or six cartridges from the 9 Mak to the 45 Colt in case size.

Boolit Buddy
    Great info, thanks!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Raab View Post
    Of COURSE I do.

It s indeed a very clean-burning powder. It is also a low density (fluffy) flake with low position sensitivity. I load it exactly as I would Bullseye in the same charge weights, and get virtually the same velocities.
    +1. I use it for .38 Spl, .45ACP, and .45 Colt. Oh, and I originally used it for 12 gauge trap and skeet loads. Great powder!

Don

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    I also use it in ultralight rifle loads (30-30, 32-20). Yeah, its a really clean burning powder.

Many years ago (late '80's early '90's?) I picked up four pounds of Scot Solo 1000 off the prize table at a USPSA match in Oak Ridge TN.

I loaded most of it in 45ACP with H&G 68 200gr SWC. I shot a bunch of that at the Wed. night match at an indoor range in Paris, KY. All those who attended those matches will agree that the most outstanding characteristic of Solo 1000 is.........IT STINKS!!

After I'd shoot, everyone would leave the range, take a break to give the anemic ventilation system time to clear the stench and then score my targets.

The consensus was that all of the trees in Scotland had been cut down in the 17th century to provide charcoal for England's iron smelting industry, so the only source of nitrocellulose available for powder production was sheep manure. That's what it smelled like.

Of course that was long ago.....it may have changed by now....YMMV.

Other than the smell, the powder performed very well in 45ACP and 38spl.

Jerry

P.S.........After the Wed. match we enjoyed dinner and adult beverages at the Paradise Cafe in the world's tallest three story building in beautiful down town Paris...good times.

Check it out:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris,_Kentucky
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Boolit Master

In search of an accurate load for Distinguished Revolver I settled on 3.3 gn. of Solo 1000 in .38 Special. I am using a 158 grain cast SWC. I get 2" groups at 50 yards with my S&W 14-6 from a Ransom Rest. Bullets are cast from range recovered lead using an NEI mold.
    This was my most accurate load versus Bullseye and WW231.

Boolit Master
    Does it stink now? Have they changed the formula? I know that BE is a little dirty but performs well in my 9mm, .45acp and .45 Colt. Is there some advantage in using Solo 1000 over BE other than it burns cleaner? I haven't found a powder yet that isn't dirty to some extent. I had considered using Solo 1000 but Gander Mtn. didn't have any in stock, neither did they have any WW 231 which I would have preferred for my pistols. If it still stinks and smells like sheep excriment I don't think I'd be trying it unless they've changed the formula. Just my dos centavos. BC
    Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me."

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    I don't recall any odor from Solo 1000. It may have been a function of the other poster's boolit lube and the powder gas. A friend of mine was relating how shooting Unique behind boolits lubed with SPG smells like "burning garbage", and he rather animated about it.

Boolit Bub
    Have to give it a try. Bullseye work great for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Caster View Post
    Does it stink now? Have they changed the formula? I know that BE is a little dirty but performs well in my 9mm, .45acp and .45 Colt. Is there some advantage in using Solo 1000 over BE other than it burns cleaner? I haven't found a powder yet that isn't dirty to some extent. I had considered using Solo 1000 but Gander Mtn. didn't have any in stock, neither did they have any WW 231 which I would have preferred for my pistols. If it still stinks and smells like sheep excriment I don't think I'd be trying it unless they've changed the formula. Just my dos centavos. BC

I don't know if current production would have the same odor or not. I've never heard anyone else comment on the smell. The odor was only a problem on that poorly ventilated indoor range, outside it wasn't noticeable and that wouldn't stop me from using it again since I very seldom shoot indoors any more.

Scott powders are not available locally and they're not on my can't-do-without list so I doubt I'll be using any of them unless I come across a deal I can't pass up.

Please don't let my comments influence your decision to try Scott powders. The post was made in fun because the OP reminded me of a time in my life I really enjoyed and some unique characters who helped make that time enjoyable.

YMMV
    Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Boolit Master
    Scot hasn't made Solo 1000 for many years. Accurate Powders has made it for at least the last 12 years. Has shot a lot of both the Scot and Accurate made powder, and never noticed a smell.

Don

AA Solo 1000

Quote Originally Posted by eck0313 View Post
    Some shooting buddies have been extolling the virtues of Solo 1000, saying its so much cleaner than Bullseye, and shoots just as well for only an extra .1 grain of powder over the Bullseye charge weight. These guys are all shooting jacketed bullets in .45 ACP. Does anyone have any experience with this powder using lead projectiles in a .38 or .45 at 700-800 fps??

Thanks in advance!

Eck
    Eck, I got some Accurate Solo 1000 this spring and have worked up a nice load in my Taurus P1911. Their on-line load data was used. I ended up at 4.8gr of Solo 1000 using CCI 300 primers and Lee 230TC lubed with Magic Orange in my old Lyman 45. The boolits were seated deep so there was 0.002" of the sized part above the case mouth and OAL was under max.
    Dave45 ACP 230gr Lee TC 04May2014.pdf
    smilin jack

Boolit Buddy
    dead thread i know
    but was just revisiting S1000 in .38spl
    for all of you guys its Titegroup the stinks (smells like cat pee)
    im going to load up 25 rounds of 38 using the Lee 148gr WC powder coated and sized to .358
    with mixed brass (i may pull the PMC and CBC brass wow is that stuff thick!!!)
    and maybe 3.3gr or so of S1000

i love the stuff in 45
    and i see no reason why it wouldnt be a top notch powder in 38

Boolit Buddy

I have been using it with 148gr WC in the .38 and light cast/plated bullets in the 9mm. It has worked very well, accurate and fairly clean. Never had a complaint from those around me.
    USN 86-92
    USAR 96-2013 Retired.
    CW3 USAR - 919A "Maintenance is our Passion"