RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: Handi rifle 25-06

Boolit Master

Handi rifle 25-06

I bought one of these new several months ago, I really like it, but less than pleased with accuracy thus farm although I am making headway.
    I had j-words in 85 and 100 grains on the shelf. The 85 grains I couldn't get to shoot under 3.5 inches. When I tried the 100's the first round was about the same. The 2nd go round, I seated the bullets out as far as I could, base even with the bottom of the neck. Groups improved to 1.5". After some thinking about this, it seems the throat is WAY deep on this, If I sit a bullet into the case just far enough to hold it, it will just lightly touch the lands. My next trial is to try some 120 grains and see if I can reduce the jump some more.

Eventually I want to switch to shooting cast in this, Not much out there for molds. I am wandering if the RCBS mold is going to be long enough in the nose to work with the deep throat?

'Nuther question, how many rounds does it usually take to get the barrel shot in?
    I've never had to use any kind of break in procedure on a new rifle, but I havent had a new handi in over 30 years & it seems like this is normal for them. I'm thinking of lapping the barrel too.
    Opinions?

If you would keep us posted. I sent my BC in to have a 2506 barrel fitted. Others know more than me but it's been my experience it takes about 100 rnds. to get one to settle down. If you take the time to break one in their a lot easier to clean and shoot more rnds between cleanings. I shoot one rnd. clean, for a total of 10. Then 5 rnds.and clean to a total of 50, then 10 rnds.and clean to 100. Lot of work but "I" think it's worth it.
    "Some times it's just better to smile an walk away."

"Think ya used enough dynamite there, Butch?"
    -Butch Cassidy & the Sun-dance Kid

Boolit Buddy
    Los Angeles Silhouette Club has a detailed description of how to break in a barrel.
    http://www.lasc.us/
    Let us know.
    DHB