Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Looking for Suggestions

Boolit Buddy

Looking for Suggestions

Hello All: I broke my favorite non-marring hammer face and need to make a replacement insert as this company is long gone. The original was turned from a hard non shattering white material about 5/8" in diameter and about 5/8" long. Any suggestions as to what material would work best for this application and a good source for it? Also, I'm working on a Forehand and Wadsworth fine twist barrel which needs to be blued/browned. What are the best options for a twist barrel? The same gun has and outside hammer which is missing. I've tried Numrich and searching the web without luck. Anyone know a possible source for the missing hammer? Best, Dan

Boolit Master

If you want a cheap one, try Harbor Freight. You can get rubber, plastic, or nylon.
    I also like lead hammers but haven't seen one in years.

If you want the "best", try Brownell's.

www.harborfreight.com/

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=1...Tools-Supplies

First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

I've been keeping an eye on lead hammer molds and it seems to be an expensive prospect.
    Visit my page at www.echoarms.com for casting, reloading, and firearms accessories as well as FFL services in Southern California.

Like my Facebook page: Echo Arms

Boolit Master
    An inexpensive lead hammer mould can be obtained by using a tin can, of the size that suits your needs. A small tomato paste can, or a larger chili can - both are useful sizes. Handle can be just about anything suitable that you have laying around. I used a threaded pipe cap, on a piece of pipe (cast the pipe cap into the head), so I could have just one handle, but change out the head when it became too beat up.
    Not my ideas, but I don't remember who I stole it from, to give them credit!!

Hope this helps!

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Boolit Master
    6/6 nylon
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-nylon-rods/=gbgxlz
    Because of the danger of shooting twist steel (damascus) barrels, especially with smokeless power, the shop I worked for refused to blue(blacken) twist barrels. They were all browned. Bluing twist steel barrels was/is thought by many an attempt to defraud someone by trying to pass them off as fluid steel. I have been told that it is against the law in England (where gunsmithing is more tightly regulated by the gov't) to blue twist steel barrels.
    Last edited by scb; 02-19-2012 at 01:40 PM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Boolit Mold
    i use a pipe nipple. just use whatever size you want.i use a 1 inch x2 1/2. drill a hole in one side the size of your handle. then saw the pipe in half lingth wise.this will let tighten up on the handle.put the handle in about 2/3 -3/4 thru the pipe put a hose clamp above and one below the handle.put the pipe on a flat surface below your pot and fill let it cool remove clamps.
    you only have to make this mould once. it will last.
    i have made lots of these and when they get too beatup you just recycle.

booneh

+1 on the McMaster recommendation. A foot length of 1 1/4" round will keep me in hammer faces for life. (It does take a lathe to make a pretty one, but a hand drill and a hacksaw can be used in a pinch.)
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Mold
    There is a hard, but non-marring material called "Delrin" that machines nicely and might make a good replacement face for your hammer. An internet search might help find some. As far as the shotgun goes, I agree with "browning" instead of "bluing". Browning is actually quite easy and a light browning should set off the pattern in the gun barrels. As for hammers, check gun shows or gun shops for a "parts gun" you can get two hammers off of (so they match!). Use the single remaining hammer as a pattern part to look for a replacement pair. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_51004 View Post
    There is a hard, but non-marring material called "Delrin" that machines nicely and might make a good replacement face for your hammer. An internet search might help find some....
    Delrin is the brand name. The Generic term --the one you want to use when searching catalogues-- is "acetal." Enco has it by the stick for cheap.

As noted above, it's easily machined and quite durable. We used in it manufacturing for bump-stops on our equipment.
    “If your only tool is a hammer, then all your problems start to look like people who need to be beaten with a hammer.”