Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingPBcastco
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Converting Berdan primer pockets to Boxer

on this group of berdan cases the two flash holes are large/ After I put in my SR primer I can see light when I look in to the case. The lih=ght is the edge of the primer up against the berdan primer holes

Boolit Buddy
    That sounds like a good idea for centering the flash hole. I will be working on this next week i will let you know how it works out.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sixpointfive View Post
    on this group of berdan cases the two flash holes are large/ After I put in my SR primer I can see light when I look in to the case. The lih=ght is the edge of the primer up against the berdan primer holes
    What cases are you working with? Can you post pix?
    Last edited by Mike 56; 09-03-2013 at 04:00 PM.

Here it is, I think the original berdan flash holes are too big. The last batch of berdan cases I had dad smaller flash holes.

Attachment 80951

Boolit Buddy
    Those holes are huge. I don't think i would try plugging them.

the other berdan stuff I converted in 6.5x55 and 7.62x54r all had tiny holes and work great with many firings using small rifle primers.

Boolit Grand Master

So far I haven't run across any cases with flash holes that large. As with anything like this there are probably some cases that will be oddb als and won't work.

Larry Gibson

I just received 125 cases from a brother here at cast boolits. Out of all of these only five cases had the small berdan flash holes. So now I have 150 cases with the larger flash holes. There has got to be a way to make these reloadable. They are all marked "87".

Ok, I punched out .010" aluminum discs, swaged them to bottom of primer pockets and drilled flash holes.
    Last edited by sixpointfive; 09-06-2013 at 09:51 AM.

Ok, I punched out .010" aluminum discs, swaged them to bottom of primer pockets and drilled flash holes.

I'm going to attempt this on 7.62x54r steel... Will let you all know how it works out... Just have to get the tools!!! As I am new to reloading is there anything I should look out for!?!? Thanks for this wonderful information guys!!!

Just that steel cases will not play nicely with your sizing dies.
    Cognitive Dissident

OK after the liberal apocalypse happens and i don't have to work for a while I will try this out, unless I have some berdan primers to use up first.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by sgt.mike View Post
    seems like I read a method of converting to Boxer but life expectancy vs work involved did not make the cut. I think it was Cartridge conversations book.
    A lot of what has been written in the past is no longer valid. Properly done a converted case should last just as long as any other.
    When push comes to shove, any useable case is a good option.

I read all of the conversion threads I could find last year. Here is what I came up with as the fastest way to deal with Berdan primers.
    I pick up non-rusted steel cases for free. They get tumbled in walnut for 15-20 minutes, longer can remove the coating on the cases. Then the case gets set in a socket, put in the decapper,turn it till it drops in the flash hole, & smack it with a screwdriver handle. You can get 1k done this way while watchin tv with yer lady, in one evening.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BERDAN DECAPPER.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	86034
    Then they get reprimed, using a hornady hand primer. Used 1000 grit paper on the large primer end of the tray, it took almost no sanding. Basically smooth it to make them feed. I had 2 go off repriming, & am working on a stop washer that can hopefully prevent any going off. If you get a feel for it you know when to stop, but a postive stop will be better. The primers can be ordered from grafs & several other retailers, they are no more $ then boxers.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BERDAN RECAP.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	86035
    Then I chargem & seat the boolit. I learned after making the test loads pictured, that the steel cases like a generous chamfer on the mouth to prevent shaving the boolits.

Attachment 86036

GO SHOOT!!!

Boolit Master
    Seems to me the original flash holes should be enough , no real need to drill or punch a central flash hole for boxer primers. The anvil legs should not block the flash holes, the primer flash will still find its way through the two small holes.

I have a small bit that's basically a rotary file with radial teeth on the face for plunge cutting. I think it came with some generic dremil bits.
    Drilling the berdan anvil in the center even with the bottom of the pocket would remove most of the metal, then plunge cut it till its all gone.

Use a drill press, with a thick aluminum plate bolted to the table with hole in the center a close fit to the cartridge case base. That should hold the case head secure enough to prevent wandering.

Also I should mention that a study on case head failures of Frankford Arsenal ammunition in 1934 was shown to be due to one leg of a primer staking die being longer than the rest. The extra length caused a work hardened stress line on that side of the case head.
    It was also found that the act of stamping the head stamp was beneficial in hardening the rim of a case.
    So any re swaging of brass primer pockets should be done with great care.
    Last edited by Multigunner; 11-02-2013 at 05:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Multigunner View Post
    Seems to me the original flash holes should be enough , no real need to drill or punch a central flash hole for boxer primers. The anvil legs should not block the flash holes, the primer flash will still find its way through the two small holes.

I have a small bit that's basically a rotary file with radial teeth on the face for plunge cutting. I think it came with some generic dremil bits.
    Drilling the berdan anvil in the center even with the bottom of the pocket would remove most of the metal, then plunge cut it till its all gone.

Use a drill press, with a thick aluminum plate bolted to the table with hole in the center a close fit to the cartridge case base. That should hold the case head secure enough to prevent wandering.

Also I should mention that a study on case head failures of Frankford Arsenal ammunition in 1934 was shown to be due to one leg of a primer staking die being longer than the rest. The extra length caused a work hardened stress line on that side of the case head.
    It was also found that the act of stamping the head stamp was beneficial in hardening the rim of a case.
    So any re swaging of brass primer pockets should be done with great care.

The purpose of the central flash hole convert is to be able to deprime them normally next go round.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by freebullet View Post
    The purpose of the central flash hole convert is to be able to deprime them normally next go round.
    I can see how that would be more convenient.
    The old hydraulic de-capping procedure once used on Berdan primers should work on Boxer primers from a two hole cup. Once any military type staking or criming and been removed at least.
    The method I described would at least leave the case head less weakened. Might be worth the extra effort in de-capping.

Quote Originally Posted by Multigunner View Post
    I can see how that would be more convenient.
    The old hydraulic de-capping procedure once used on Berdan primers should work on Boxer primers from a two hole cup. Once any military type staking or criming and been removed at least.
    The method I described would at least leave the case head less weakened. Might be worth the extra effort in de-capping.
    If you are going to take the extra bother to decap these like you would Berdan primers why bother converting them at all?
    Mike

Politicians should be limited to two terms.

1 in office. 1 in prison.

Boolit Grand Master

My method of conversion as originally posted allows the converted cases to be reloaded the same as any Boxer primed case. I now have 303 Brit, 7.65 Argentine and 8x57 brass cases converted along with the 7.62x54R cases and all have been reloaded multiple times with no problems or loss of any cases.

Larry Gibson

With the life of Berdan primed brass the conversion would be worth it. Some of the brass is of very high quality. The steel cases are not really worth the conversion. Usually only get to reload them 0-6 times, the case necks will split when you size them. If you gettem free they are worth dealing with.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast