WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastcoTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Converting Berdan primer pockets to Boxer

out of stock
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master
    Always is. I believe there is only one importer/distributer for berdan primer. Convert to boxer once and be done with it forever. Don't be dependent on the ruskie

Really easy to do on mini lathe. I am hooked. Now I am asking friends to give me their berdan cases

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by deces View Post
    out of stock
    http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

Has 1 size of Berdan currently in stock: TULA BERDAN (KV-24N) 7.62X39 PRIMERS (1000) $25

Boolit Buddy
    Any one try one of these to start the hole in the primer? My thinking is that it should be stiffer than a small drill.

http://littlemachineshop.com/product...dID=-405997707

Boolit Master
    I just did a bunch of 7.62x54 cases. Steel cases have new life. I'm going to have to seal the old primer some were falling out after firing and depriming. The 7.62x39 had a red laquer on them that makes it pretty durable

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeKiller View Post
    Any one try one of these to start the hole in the primer? My thinking is that it should be stiffer than a small drill.

http://littlemachineshop.com/product...dID=-405997707
    Yes, they're stiffer. They'll take out the anvil without deflecting.

Quote Originally Posted by ksJoe View Post
    Yes, they're stiffer. They'll take out the anvil without deflecting.
    And should leave you a small indent to keep your drill for the flash hole centered too.
    Mike

Politicians should be limited to two terms.

1 in office. 1 in prison.

Quote Originally Posted by khmer6 View Post
    I just did a bunch of 7.62x54 cases. Steel cases have new life. I'm going to have to seal the old primer some were falling out after firing and depriming. The 7.62x39 had a red laquer on them that makes it pretty durable
    I am thinking of trying your method and the above post made me think. What if the old primer was soft soldered in before the conversion. I would think that would hold it in through many firings and reloading cycles.
    "If you make listening and observation your occupation you will gain much more than you can by talk.." --Lord Robert Baden-Powell

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by louism View Post
    I am thinking of trying your method and the above post made me think. What if the old primer was soft soldered in before the conversion. I would think that would hold it in through many firings and reloading cycles.
    I would be concerned about the heat of soldering. Eutectic solder (63/37) melts at 361 degrees. What temp does brass soften at for annealing?

Custom Cast Boolits Google Search

The Learning Never Stops!

I saw a slick method of boxer priming 303 British and 7.62x54R cases with the BIG Berdan primer. Cut off a thin disk from the end of a piece of copper pipe with a 1/4" OD . Then press the copper disk into the primer swage tip (use the large primer tip). Then press the copper disk into the berdan case (remove the anvil first).

With a file, grinder or lathe clean up the area around the primer pocket. Then re-swage.

ETA: Found the You Tube video explaining the procedure.

http://youtu.be/AkKJfvMyuDg
    Mike

Politicians should be limited to two terms.

1 in office. 1 in prison.

Yes, they're stiffer. They'll take out the anvil without deflecting.[/QUOTE]

That was my experience also.
    Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Mold
    [Q

Good Work Larry, I have stacks of German ex milsurp in 7.62x51 NATO brass
    would your guide work with them, or is there any differences ??

QUOTE=Larry Gibson;1595289]So the obvious question; does it work? To answer that I loaded the 19 cases I was successful in converting of the Albainian. These cases had been fired in my Finn M39. I used a .337 bushing in the converted .284 Win Redding bushing die to NS the cases. They were primed with Rem 7 ½ primers ans loaded with 30 gr 4895 (milsurp) and a ¾ gr dacron filler added. On top of that I seated 176 gr GB C316291s cast of WW + 2% tin with a BHN of 16. These had been sized at .314 and lubed with Javelina. The GCs were my own made from .014 aluminum. Made a quick trip to the range today and just shot the 19 rounds off sand bags at 100 yards. Well, I did hold the 1st shot out at arms length and just shot the berm….better safe than sorry. All was well, very well in fact so I settled down on the bench. Set the rear sight on 500m and you can see the 1st shot at 1130 just outside the black. Moved the sight down 3 notches (5 notches between 400m & 500m) and fired 3 shots, the low ones at 7:30 in the 9 ring. Moved the sight back up 2 notches and fired 3 shots which went in at 11:00 in the 9 and 10 ring. Moved back down 1 notche and moved the front sight left 1 “dot”. I then fired the remaining 11 shots getting 4 tens and 7 Xs……about the best my old eyes can do anymore with open service sights.

I deprimed the cases at home and all the SR primers came out as expected. None of the Berdan rings in the primer pockets came out. I reloaded all the cases again and will continue firing to see how long they last……so far….so good

Larry Gibson

Addendum; 5 Feb 2012

Dug through my "stash" and found 120 rounds of Bulgarian 7.62x54R 55-10 with very nice brass cases, They had the larger Berdan size primer. I shot 20 rounds of it today and tonight I converted the Berdan Primer pockets to take Large Rifle Boxer primers. Procedure was identical except a #8 drill was used in lieu of the #18 and the LR primer pocket swage was used. It was quite easy this time and I didn't lose a single case. Bottom photo shows the prgression of conversion and then the loaded box of 20. I will hopefully test fire tomorrow to see if the bushings stay when the boxer LR is punched out.[/QUOTE]

Boolit Buddy
    I found this Video on utube useing another way of converting cases http://youtu.be/AkKJfvMyuDg What i did not like about his converion is his primer holes looked too big. I was thinking if you flattened the anvil and found or made a centering center punch to fit the berdan primer pocket it his idea might work out well. I think lock tight and brass tubing would all so improve it.

Boolit Buddy
    Here is another video from the same guy using using boxer primers in 7.62x39 berdan steel cases. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwmms...6sN4j085eBtPFg

this last batch of 54r are getting blow by the primers and the necks are too fat to chamber.

the berdan primer holes are larger than most. I then have three flash holes the same size. is there anyway to plug yhe berdan holes.?

Boolit Buddy
    On the 54r cases that have real big primers whats left of the old primer or the sleeve you make should cover the two berdan flash holes. I think the flash hole he maid in the video is to big. After i get a pocket swager. I plan using a brass rod and a punch to flatten the berdan anvil and finding or making a self centering center punch for the new flash hole this might close or almost close the berdan flash holes. I also have some 54r ammo that have the smaller berdan primers i want to try to convert some of these as well as taking a part LR boxer primers and using the berdan anvil. I am going to try the same thing with some 7.62x39 steel cases.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mike 56 View Post
    I found this Video on utube useing another way of converting cases http://youtu.be/AkKJfvMyuDg What i did not like about his converion is his primer holes looked too big. I was thinking if you flattened the anvil and found or made a centering center punch to fit the berdan primer pocket it his idea might work out well. I think lock tight and brass tubing would all so improve it.
    He was converting steel cases, I believe. The anvil is stamped from the other side, leaving a depression, and IF you had the right diameter and length of bit, you could drill it out from the other side. I think a drill bit with the point ground off and resharpened would be the best way to drill out the pocket, and a drill press with a stop on it. Just my view.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast