Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWisconsin TriggerRotoMetals2
StainLess Steel MediaLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyGraf & Sons

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: Converting Berdan primer pockets to Boxer

Boolit Master Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I have a Steyer95 and a good stock of Nazi 1938 ammo and clips. I have everything to cast and reload apart from brass. It looks like I'll be going down this track as well. I did see on YouTube, the Ammo Channel from memory, the guy drilled the primer pocket out and then swaged a small piece of copper tubing into the new hole, trimmed it on the grinder then re-swaged it. This method looks easier(ish). I will try it first.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    I have a Steyer95 and a good stock of Nazi 1938 ammo and clips. I have everything to cast and reload apart from brass. It looks like I'll be going down this track as well. I did see on YouTube, the Ammo Channel from memory, the guy drilled the primer pocket out and then swaged a small piece of copper tubing into the new hole, trimmed it on the grinder then re-swaged it. This method looks easier(ish). I will try it first.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170608_123515.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	199391

As you can see the case on the right is a converted Steyr 95 nazi case. I did a couple hundred for a friend. No problems.

Larry Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170608_123515.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	199391

As you can see the case on the right is a converted Steyr 95 nazi case. I did a couple hundred for a friend. No problems.

Larry Gibson
    It looks like I'd better get the Steyer out and shoot a few rounds and then clear away all of the junk in front of the drill press, haha. Thanks.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master

Any questions about the process don't hesitate to PM. It's actually easier than it looks.

Larry Gibson

Thanks. I have been reading through the posts and a lot of guys mentioned decapping berdan primers. I saw a couple of methods on Youtube that were very efficient.

One used a block of wood with a hole drilled all of the way through for the primers to escape. Then rim sized hole was drilled for about 1/4" The cases were placed in this during decapping.

The second method just used the shellholder.

Both methods were the same after that. The case was dipped into water filling it, then placed in the block / shellholder and a 1/4" Socket Drive screwdriver thingo was placed in the case neck (reasonable fit) and whacked with a piece of wood, bingo! Primer is out.

Easiest method I have ever seen.

Boolit Master

Tried the hydraulic method several times......never got too many primers out.......got water everywhere though.......

Then getting the berdan primers of the right size was hit or miss.....needex special seating punches......gave up.......converting to boxer primers is/was a lot easier.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    Looks like I'm gonna have to scrounge up a proper mould to help feed my Steyr M95 in 8x56mmR. I have a sizeable stash of the 1938-dated Berdan stuff, but not having an efficient method for removing and replacing the primers has kept me from firing more than a couple of clips in the 20 or so years I've had the M95. I tried the hydraulic method of removal, but can't call my results anything resembling successful.

Oddly, I bought a set of RCBS dies and a shell holder for 8x56mmR very shortly after I got the rifle. After reading this thread, looks like I'm running out of excuses for not putting them to their intended use!

Quote Originally Posted by jrmartin1964 View Post
    looks like I'm running out of excuses for not putting them to their intended use!
    You and me both looks like.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011