RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: H&R 12 gauge Survival shotgun and defense.

Boolit Master

Yeah you can buy a cheap new pump for under $200 and only $60-$50 more than a single shot, but its a ***!
    I have held them and wouldn't take them across the street to hunt let alone have them defend myself with. Now I did pick up a few Mossy 500's cheap. Couple for just $150 each. I knew they just needed a good cleaning. The seller knew they were useless due to the old camo pattern. They now sit in my closet and beside my bed ready.

The only thing I have seen fail on a 870 is the shell interuptor thingy. So I would have on of those in hand. The 500 is just as cheap to have an extra for spare parts.
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master

Also in Backwoodman Magazine, I read an article on single shots as the one weapon and a conversation came up mentioning a popular weapon among African guides in the 30-40's. It was a 12 gauge single shot with rifled sights that folded down when not wanted. It also had a 28" barrel (my favorite length on a single shot) and modified choke. They were a game getter for the camp and pull defense duty as well.

Then I had an interesting 410 gauge back in the late 80's. It was a 410 with rifled sights and 30" barrel with a modified choke. It was said they made by Rossi and Stoeger and it said "TRIBAL" on the side. The gentleman that responded to my information request said they were made in 410s and 20s for South American tribes as trade guns when the oil and forrest companies went in to trade for land.

Jerry
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

I'm a fan of single shots. But figure 20 is the right size. Any member of the family can shoot that, works around the house at short range, would work for bird or bunny. Like the Mossberg 500's decent and not too expensive. Might go with that over a single shot or not. Have not considered it really.

What Ed Harris says about knowing the limitations of your weapon makes good sense. If you don't and the bad guy does that won't work out so well. Good info on loads for 20 relative to 12 gauge.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Moderator Emeritus

I find a Savage 24 22/20 far more effective than a chamber adaptor.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    ain't that the truth !
    chamber adapters are made for fur trappers and farmers for butcher kills, or to shoot 45-70 in a 577/450. It's really hard to imagine any insert that will reach further with as much punch as a 12ga slug, you know, drop in and hit to point of aim. Now in combo guns, I would like a 12ga x 20ga over 30-06.

Boolit Master
    I've noticed some non-shooter shooters can intuitively run a bolt action. A fine point but small things make a difference in a tight spot. My neighbor's wife has an old bolt action shotgun cut down for her house gun. When the adrenaline overload hits the less to remember the better.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    I'm a fan of single shots. But figure 20 is the right size. Any member of the family can shoot that, works around the house at short range, would work for bird or bunny. Like the Mossberg 500's decent and not too expensive. Might go with that over a single shot or not. Have not considered it really.

What Ed Harris says about knowing the limitations of your weapon makes good sense. If you don't and the bad guy does that won't work out so well. Good info on loads for 20 relative to 12 gauge.
    Mossberg 500 shotguns are tough, reliable, economical guns. Some upgraded versions can be attractive, but the plain jane ones get the job done. For a house gun, a configuration that I like is a short smooth bore slug bbl with sights in a composite stock using a shorter youth butt stock. Attach an elastic sleeve in the stock holding 5 rounds of ammo chosen to avoid over penetration. Eschew all those gimmicky stocks and accessories.

The 20 gage is versatile and can do most anything. Consider though, that a 12 gage can be loaded down to 20 gage performance with available factory ammo, but a 20 gage can never exceed the maximum capability of a 12 gage.
    "Time wounds all heels." Well, maybe not, but it helps me to think so rather than responding to bad actors.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Main advantage of the 20-ga. is reduced weight and cube of the ammo, which is important if carrying away from easy resupply.

Performance is quite adequate in most scenarios, but ammo may be more expensive and less widely distributed.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    True. And far more expensive. A rifled adapter from Short Lane set up correctly (try a round or two of blue painters tape around the end to provide a snug fit in shotgun bore and position it uniformly each time) and you could be surprised at 25 yard accuracy. I've used those.
    Plus, you can have more effective and versatile rounds to fire such as .38 special.

I have a home-made .45acp/20 gage adapter made from a second hand 7" target 1911 barrel which headspaces on the shotgun forcing cone and therefore needs no rim. I use the blue tape for a snug and concentric fit in the 20's bore. With no rim, the shotgun extractor does not drag the adapter out each time I open the barrel, and the .45acp cases easily extract with my fingernail.

Unlike the Savage 24, sights are an issue. But practice helps. My Stevens single shotgun has a notch in the receiver which coupled with front bead serves well enough, given practice and Kentucky windage.

Savage and home-made adapter cost well under $100.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Main advantage of the 20-ga. is reduced weight and cube of the ammo, which is important if carrying away from easy resupply.

Performance is quite adequate in most scenarios, but ammo may be more expensive and less widely distributed.
    Try a 12 with a short and cheap 20 gage adapter. You then can shoot both gages.
    Tests show very little loss of effectiveness shooting the 20 out of a 12.

http://chambermates.com/patterns.htm
    Last edited by Rio Grande; 12-31-2015 at 10:56 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I'd be a bit nervous about having both 12 and 20 ga. ammo handy even with a 20 ga adapter in my pocket. Too much of a "blow-up" possibility for my taste. YMMV Hope this helps--I'm not trying to be a "knowitall", just trying to prevent an accident.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorf View Post
    I'd be a bit nervous about having both 12 and 20 ga. ammo handy even with a 20 ga adapter in my pocket. Too much of a "blow-up" possibility for my taste. YMMV Hope this helps--I'm not trying to be a "knowitall", just trying to prevent an accident.
    Thank you for bringing this up. A valid point. However a .410 insert tube would make sense, as would a rifle or handgun caliber insert tube.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

As a survival weapon would it make sense to have a break open single shot with both 12 gauge and rifle barrels?

An 18" or 20" rifle barrel in .22 LR, .30/30 WCF or .44 Magnum could be more useful and accurate than an adapter.

Absolutely.

I just picked one up from the local pawn shop that to my eye has never been fired.

I'm reasonably sure it is a SB1 or older cast frame which means low pressure calibers only.
    Still very adaquate for .22lr, .22 mag, .357 mag, .44 mag.

Easy to break down into a light weight kit with an extra barrel, some extra ammo.
    Also would work with the longer rifled chamber adapters in pistol calibers. The short and smoothbore seem to be more or less an emergency measures only setup. Still the cost is low as long as you don't expect rifle accuracy it is something to consider.

The ability to switch between something like a 9mm and in a few minutes be back able to shoot shot/slugs is something to consider.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12