Graf & SonsInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyStainLess Steel Media
Ballisti-CastTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2

Thread: H&R 12 gauge Survival shotgun and defense.

Boolit Mold

H&R 12 gauge Survival shotgun and defense.

Dave Canterbury of "Dual Survivor" recommends the 12 gauge by H&R with chamber adapters. He states that it's a common man's gun and always preforms. I was wondering if anyone has comment about their HR shotgun?
    I also can see the versatility of using the chamber adapters as he talks about in one of his video's. Especially if ammo get hard to find like it was awhile back. I am thinking about adding this gun as a back up. It's vary reasonably priced at around $130 new and with the chamber adapters that range from .22LR to 44 mag I can cover about any ammo i might find.
    Just seen that he has a new line of Rifled adapters. I'll post a link.

http://www.slickguns.com/product/12-...hfinder-series

Boolit Man
    OK, I'll bite

IMHO,
    1) I'd want something a little better quality and with more than one shot, something mag fed, even if just a 22LR.
    2) Pass on the caliber adapters and invest that money in ammo and mags for whatever you buy.
    3) Practice
    4) Practice
    5) Practice some more
    6) Dont believe what you see on TV

Cheers, YV

1. In my experience, the newer H&R's (since sometime in the late 1970's) are prone to break the linkage on the transfer bar. I have personally seen four out of five of them break, and it is a PITA to replace the five dollar part. I have a soft spot for H&R's; I put about a bazillion rounds through a 1974 vintage .410 when I was a kid, (no transfer bar to break).

2. If whatever you are shooting is appropriate for a .22, a 12 guage will work just as well.

3. If I wanted to use a single shot shotgun for a "survival arm", I would get in no particular order: an old H&R without the transfer bar, an Iver Johson Champion, or one of the old Savages. If money were no object a Winchester Model 37.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Mk42gunner, you might try Pawn Shops or Gun Shows... a used NEF or H&R singleshot gun at $50 is better than spending $130'

I got my H&R 1973 model 20 ga. (no transfer bar, as I have seen broken ones also) for $50. I really like it, better wood and blueing than the new NEF's.

Inserts are great fun. I can see how they might be useful for small game, good for training, useful for using scrounged ammo.

Canterbury is a good guy I think. Knows his stuff. Walks the walk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_f7C4ogORs
    Last edited by Rio Grande; 02-18-2012 at 01:46 PM.

Boolit Master
    Don't know about caliber adapters for the H&R, but I love mine. Built like a tank and far more durable than any other I've seen. Has minimal number of parts and is easy to work on. I seem to end up teaching lots of "new to guns" types and I always start out with a H&R 20 ga. I've put lots of game in the freezer with mine.

I have the 12 ga. H&R, but went with the Black on black Pardner Turkey model with 3.5" chamber and screw in chokes. I find it much more useful with the variable choke than what Dave recommends. He recently posted a video on U-Tube of the 9mm Pathfinder adapter. I think they are a great option and intend to get the .22 LR one now that it's out. I am also purchasing a .45 Colt & .45 ACP versions of the shorty for now just to have in my kit. Video shows decent performance even with just a bead for accuracy. I'm hoping Shortlane continues to expand their calibers in the longer ones also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k0Ae...layer_embedded

http://www.gunadapters.com/12-guage-...ifled-adapter/

Boolit Man
    My bad, guess I misunderstood, thought this was about a 'survival & defence' firearm.

Since I dont live 50 miles from the nearest paved road, I was thinking surviving and defending against 2 legged vermon.

Boolit Buddy
    Hmmmm while I see the merits I would prefer a side by side 12g, over under shotty or a combo gun like the Savage 24.

IMO when you are hunting for anything to eat I would like to have options, if you see a deer or hog a load of birdshot is useless, while at the same time if you see a flying bird a bullet is useless.

With a double barrel at least you could have birdshot in one barrel and slug/buckshot in the other barrel and they're not all that much heavier.

And Dave Canterbury is a good fella to watch I reckon, better than Bear Grylls by a long shot!
    Professionals are predictable, it's the amateurs that are dangerous

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Te Hopo View Post
    Hmmmm while I see the merits I would prefer a side by side 12g, over under shotty or a combo gun like the Savage 24.

IMO when you are hunting for anything to eat I would like to have options, if you see a deer or hog a load of birdshot is useless, while at the same time if you see a flying bird a bullet is useless.

With a double barrel at least you could have birdshot in one barrel and slug/buckshot in the other barrel and they're not all that much heavier.

And Dave Canterbury is a good fella to watch I reckon, better than Bear Grylls by a long shot!
    You're right, options are important.
    With an break-open shotgun you can be ready for anything...just open it quietly and slip in a slug shell or shot, or even a .22 or centerfire pistol shell if you have one in an adapter ready.
    Not as quick as a double, but cheaper $. For the price of any good used double, I can buy 5 good used break-open shotguns. Or a very decent used .22 and 2 good used break-open shotguns.
    There's also options of spreader shot, buck and ball. even flares.