Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Transporting Rifles To The Range

Boolit Master

Transporting Rifles To The Range

I have about a 70 mile round trip to the range I use and because of this distance and the time involved, I like to take more than one rifle, sometimes as many as 3-4. That many loose rifles even if in cases is not convenient.

I have long been aware of the high level of skill and innovation among the members here, so I thought I would present my problem and see of I could get an idea or two.

What could you recommend to carry my rifles in the bed of my pickup so they are not exposed in obvious gun cases and would be protected from the elements in case of rain, etc.

I have thought of building a plywood box but am not sure of the configuration of the interior. Any ideas?
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    In my last pick up that was just a 2 door bench seat

I built a fishing rod / cloth gun case holder, picture two up rights 20-24 inch apart with a top and bottom the bottom was held in place by removing 2 Cab bolts and then reinstalling them through the bottom board, cut out in the uprights to hold everything in place

the nice thing about it was you could not see anything until you tilted the seat forward

I picked up a hard plastic case like they use for putting golf bags in for air transport - put rifles in soft cases and then put 4-5 cased rifles in plastic case - has wheels for moving all at once.

Another advantage is people looking in don't think firearms.

Using things like tool/fishing boxes and Diaper bags to haul stuff also doesn't raise level
    of alert on passing the vehicle and looking in.

Banned
    You might look into what the CAS boys do for gun transport.

http://www.kansascas.com/carts1.htm

Like the chuck wagon's for hauling and feed your rifles.

wonder if that barrel on the side is a drink cooler?

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Like the chuck wagon's for hauling and feed your rifles.

wonder if that barrel on the side is a drink cooler?
    How well does it track at 70 on the highway?
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Looks like it more for putting in pickup bed or on a trailer than towing.

Boolit Master
    12" pvc pipe and 2 caps.

I like the golf bag case.

I drive a VW Jetta since I ditched my Chevy truck in 2004. With 26" barrel rifles I have to fold down the back seats to run the hard cases up into the cabin area. However since it’s all inside I just toss a jacket or something over the cases to obscure them.

Most commercial options for carrying guns in pickups tend to be pricey. Otherwise there’d be no money in it for the vendors. When I drove pickups they always had hard covers or camper tops. The hard covers were a pain as anything over a bout 21 inches didn’t fit. Which sort of negates the usefulness of driving a gas hog pickup.

If you already have good water proof gun cases I’d recommend some cheap tarp and bungee cords to cover them up in the bed. If you are shooting any auto loading guns the tarp can serve double duty as brass catcher. If you are worried about looking a bit red neck simply go over the top with a couple rolls of Duck Tape to go for the Red Green show look.

One of the slickest setups I’ve seen is wood crafted drawers set in the pickup bed with a wood top for carrying your top load. You drop the tail gate then pull out the drawers with all your stuff. The one I saw was under a camper shell but it wouldn’t have to be. Just keep a coat of paint on the wood deck. Just depends upon how you use your truck on a daily basis as to how you want it rigged out. For the occasional trip top the range a tarp and a few bungee cords start to look easy and cheep compared to thirty hours labor and a couple hundred dollars of hardware to go trick.

I’m about to the financial position to get a tear drop camping trailer to pull behind my little VW diesel. It’s rated for a 3,000 pound trailer and I’ve the hitch on it for that. I regularly pull 2,500 pounds on a utility trailer. My fuel mileage gets dragged well below 40 mpg with that load.With only camping gear and guns the load would be slightly over 1,000 pounds.

Boolit Buddy

I have a grand Caravan mini van. I use hard plastic cases exclusively. I made up a plywood box with 1X 6 spacers that slips in behind the rear seats. With the rear hatch closed , you cant see anything. For a pick-up, you may have to modify
    the idea

Art's example of the DIYnetworks box the the best way to do what you want to do.

It will take you a littel work but when you're done you'lll actually have something and you can probably transfer it to your next truck.

I keep mentioning my Built from Scratch Jeep Scrambler project. Well the cargo area in these vehicles is perfect for this type of drawer system, and I have had one planned in since the beginning of the project.

I plan on going on extended trips in this vehicle, and I also plan on carrying guns with me., A jeep is not the most secure vehicle there is and as such my drawers system has locks designed in. Also the whole thing is anchored to the floor and has carpet on top just like the regular cargo area in any SUV has.

Strips of 1/8" thick teflon material are used for the slides and make the thing function nicely.

Had this planned out for several years now

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    a friend used to have a jimmy 1986 he had a box built in the back between the wheel wells it had slide out drawers , his drawers mostly held tools but could have easily been made to hold rifles

our laws just recently changed so that a gun does not need to be cased before being placed in or on a non moving vehicle , so we can finally have built in or mounted gun cases

have you thought about a topper for your truck , my first truck came with a topper i used it on and off , i bought my second truck new after i had to sit in the truck one year while my wife went in and out of stores , with all the Christmas presents wrapped in garbage bags in the back of the open truck , that is when i decided that new truck needed a topper , a good one with sides that opened and locked

never regretted that topper , i had one side with a screen and slider window the other on the drivers side has 2 locking handles and opened up so i could reach all the way to the front without crawling in
    my uncle has a setup like this he mounted a shelf across the front , he puts his guns on it in plane soft cases , but usually it has the tools he regularly uses he cans still slide plywood all the way in and other lumber , and he can reach most everything on the shelf thru the sliding window in the cab and it keeps all that stuff up and out of the way
    Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 05-02-2012 at 02:43 PM.