RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting gloves

Boolit Master

Shooting gloves

What glove is recommended for the HEAVY recoiling handguns like the .454 Casull, .460S&W, .475 L, .500 S&W, and the .500 L

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    This is the same question I asked when I purchased my first 44 magnum revolver.

I had planned on buying a name brand shooting glove but then one of the more experienced shooters told me about a suitable alternative solution.

I ended up going to a local Sports Authority store and buying a weight-lifting glove instead.
    It worked perfectly for me and it didn't cost nearly as much as the shooting glove I thought I
    needed.

It sure helped tame the recoil of the stouter loads I was shooting at the time.

HollowPoint

Boolit Master
    I've had mine for some time but I think they are bicycle gloves. Padded in the palms and open fingers. Works well enough when I need them but shoot without them most of the time.

Boolit Master
    I think it is BETTER to start with the lightest loads for your gun and work up to MAX levels. NO glove will mitigate heavy recoil. I have a 45-70 and a 358JDJ in the Contender. I have several gloves from batting to motor cycle gloves. NONE of these make the recoil any more pleasant! I work up my loads for a few weeks prior to hunting with those hard kickers. I DO wear a set of Browning gloves when shooting/hunting though.

Boolit Grand Master

I can't wear any glove with a padded palm, it drives me up the wall and feels like the gun is squirming in my hands. I always wear either golf or batters gloves when I shoot handgun because that is what I wear when hunting.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Racket Ball glove works well also
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

I have tried several brands of shooting gloves but they all seem too bulky. I believe the last pair I bought were a Cabela Brand but it was the same with them. The guns never feel right in my hand, when wearing them. As others have mentioned an nice pair of batting or bicycle gloves seem to work better, at least for me.
    "Of All The Things I Have Lost During My Life, I Miss My Mind The Most!!!"

Boolit Master

I have tried a couple of different pair, but because I have medium sized hands to start with, the added bulk from the gloves just opens my grip and makes the recoil worse. If the grips were too small to start with, they might work. But I'd rather just have grips that fit right in the first place.

Boolit Grand Master
    Uncle Mike's work best for me. I use a batter's glove for everything but my FA .454, then the Uncle Mike's come out.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    I always wear either golf or batters gloves when I shoot handgun because that is what I wear when hunting.
    This is exactly what I do. I wear nothing at all, nor ever will, because that's what I wear while hunting. If I need a glove to shoot my handgun, I'll sell it and buy one I can shoot without a glove.

Till I start hunting with gloves.

It's the same even during a day on the range. I even wear the indiana-jones-style leather hat I wear when hunting every day I am at the range. I probably look like a goof-ball to everyone there.

I know in IMSHA compition alot or people use gloves and elbow pads when shooting big bore out of the creedmore position. But they are shooting 40 rounds a class and several diffrent classes. But for hunting I dont think shooting gloves really matter because you are shooting maybe one or two rounds.
    Judan

Boolit Master

Past made a fingerless shooting glove at one time. I don't know if they still do or not. I alway thought it was really good at taming recoil in handguns.
    Chuck

Boolit Grand Master

I hunt with no gloves on or if it's cold I'll wear NOMEX flight gloves which have a thin leather palm. I wear them for the colt, not the shooting. However, when testing magnum level loads from the bench I use a PAST shooting glad. Reason being is my tests are usually some what extensive and I test with 10 shot groups for psi and velocity and twice around the cylinder (10 or 12 shots) with revovlers. Testing 100 - 150+ rounds of top end loads in .357, .41 and .44 magnums with handguns having a prawl can be trying at best, even with the glove.

Larry Gibson

I started with a golf glove. Then moved up to a Past shooting glove, when I was doing the silhouette thing.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Aunegl View Post
    I started with a golf glove. Then moved up to a Past shooting glove, when I was doing the silhouette thing.
    I have a pair of Pro Aim shooting gloves and I like them a lot.

Semper Fidelis

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    The reason I went to a glove was because when I first bought my SBH Hunter I couldn't find aftermarket grips that would fit my hand.

The factory grips just wouldn't allow me to get a solid grip on it, especially with full power loads.
    The inexpensive weight lifting glove cured that problem; then one of the guys here on this forum
    offered to give me a set of Uncle Mikes grips if I'd pay for shipping.

There's alot of good guys on this forum. I accepted his offer so I didn't have to use the shooting glove any more. Kind of like not using condoms; it feels better without the glove.

HollowPoint

I wear gloves to weld, cut with a torch, stacking lumber and firewood.

The main reason I handgun hunt is so I can use a nice warm pocket.

Boolit Buddy
    Try bicycle gloves too. I don't wear them shooting, but do for long bike rides. For me, single action grips are usually too small. And I just don't like the Bisley style. I can't get a consistent grip and can't get the accuracy out of them. I've never had a handgun hurt the palm of my hand. My problem is knuckle rap and some single actions will blister my hand or the hammer will gouge the web between my thumb and forefinger. For knuckle rap I'll end up putting grips on that increase the distance from the backstrap to the trigger. They don't look as good as a nice set of wood, but pretty is as pretty does. I'd rather have my elbow flex then have the gun spin in my hand.

Boolit Master
    TIG welding gloves!

Soft,nice chamois leather.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	160720194531.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	245320

Moderator Emeritus

I have a very old pair of PAST gloves and have found nothing better for a range glove. I hunt with bare hands or plain leather gloves. I don't shoot enough while hunting to notice a difference. The past gloves have a thick leather palm, not a soft pad, leather where a 1911 would pinch with a too high hold, and an elastic back. They don't get too hot. I don't know what a similar product would cost today. I got mine at more than 50% off 25 years ago and paid most of a $20 bill.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast