Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spoon/ Ladle clean up

Gentlemen;

At first the thread addressed pots and skimming spoons ~ OK.

When it comes to ladle cleaning it's comparably easy stuff; All a fellow has to do when a flux is needed is to simply do the initial stirring with the ladle. This will clean off all exterior crud. For the unwanted material inside simply tap the rod portion of the handle gently against the heat-shield of your alloy pot (typically the 10-pound version as heated with a propane burner) - this will cause the loosened crud to fall off into the alloy where, in sequence, you'll be using your spoon to remove the impurities anyway.

Good morning,
    Forrest

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    So what about the tan to goldish ,I presumed was sulfer stuff,that builds up enough every 100-150# on my laddle and pot. It doesn't flak,sluff or flux off ,in fact the fluxing seems to make it almost ceramic except that a wire brush breaks it up in the pot,but its much harder and stickier on the stainless spoon.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Grand Master

I used to put my ladle and spoon spatula in a bag take them into work and run them thru the sand blaster at work at lunch time. It was an enclosed/cabnient model and did a great job.

Harter;

That golden stuff on your tools and pots is (so far as I know) pretty much straight lead oxide. This is the material that our bodies mobilizable easily - metallic lead (as we know) may remain in the body for years with little or no harmful affects. ~ Lead oxide goes right into the mix of our flesh and bone, where it does no good at all.

Like I mentioned before: The tools which need cleaning should be cleaned by scraping or (if you really have to) brushing outside in a strong wind with you remaining well upwind!

We have to be careful about this stuff! Error on the side of never breathing any of that dust as it is removed from our tools/pots.

Good morning,
    Forrest

PS - Those nice colors you mention? Well - why do you think paint manufacturers used lead (as in lead oxide) for their products?

Old Oil

The best treatment i've found over the years is Old Oil.
    Old Motor Oil is easy enough to get, and works the best.

You need 2 leak proof pails.
    Prior to using your ingot moulds, ladles, or skimmers, simply put them in a pail and coat them the Old Oil. Let them set and soak.
    Pull them out and let the excess drip off onto a full newspaper.
    When you fire up your smelter, turn it on low and burn off the excess oil, usually face down.
    Let them cool for a bit and tap them with a leather\wood mallet.
    Really bad ones will need a couple of treatments.

I use 2 pails, one to soak in and one with a window screen to drip the excess off.
    Either way works.
    My ingot moulds and Ladles have a nice patina, and i keep them soaking after thier cool for every other use.
    Also, this will help keep the lead\dross from sticking to them.

masscaster

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12